Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] Music won't play

[WP8] Music won't play

I'm hitting some bug where I just can't play music. At all.
I click on a song and it will never begin playing. The progress indicator at the top is moving like it wants to start loading, but never begins. I do have a network connection, as I can still search, but nothing really works.

Also, why does it seem like the app bails/crashes whenever I leave it? I can't access it through recent tasks, and even reviewing the TOS sent me to IE, hit back to go back to app, and nothing.

Phone: HTC 8X on Verizon, NO Portico
Connection: Wifi
Tried:
- Rebooting
- Reinstalling
- Log out/in

26 Replies

Did you try the suggestion from this topic? If so, and the error persists, please reply here with any other info you can think of, that might help reproduce this issue.

Community Ergo Sum

I have tried playing music with the Spotify app and it will hang there with the loader. Ocassionally it will display an empty list and also it will ocassionally give the error message "fatal error Could not start background audio. Please try again." I have attempted logging in with my Spotify number instead of my facebook account to no avail as well as reinstalling the app.

I'm using a Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8.0.10211.204.

I am attempting this with the Data Connection turned off on my home WiFi.

Information that could be useful:

- Your country (optional, for privacy reasons) - USA

- Your specific phone model - Nokia Lumia 920

- Your phone's Operating System and version - WP8 8.0.10211.204

- Are you using 3G, WiFi? - WiFi 4G LTE

- The error message(s) you get - No error message

- screenshot of any error messages you get

- etc.

I am unable to sign in using Spotify account because I access via Facebook.

I was able to login using Facebook w/ 2 factor authentication.  My playlists show.  I can see all the music on my playlists but I am unable to play any songs.  I see the dots across the top of the screen but nothing plays.  I am unable to download any playlists either.

I have The same problem; I can't Play any track what so ever.. It's just stuck in loading. I have Spotify Premium, Nokia Lumia 920, Using wifi and is currently in Australia. My account is registerd in Norway. I have tried to re-install Spotify several times and restart my Phone. It's just not working. I'm not able to make any playlist offline either. I know however that I'm online, because I can look what my Friends are listening to, I can also use the search function. Also the program is not able to run in the backgrond. Hope you are able to fix it, I'm paying for it. Best regards, E

- Your country  - Denmark

- Your specific phone model: nokia lumia 920

- Your phone's Operating System and version - try to guess

- Are you using 3G, WiFi? 3G. WiFi, 4G

- The error message(s) you get - none

The app used to work fine for a few days when it was just launched, gradually it become unusable. As mentioned already I see forever stuck Spotify start screen, sometimes it redirects me back to login, although I never loged out... If I'm lucky to go past this, after like 10-15 attempts, or I reinstall the app - there is no use to see my playlist since I'm not able to play a single track. Download sync is pointless, it doesn't remember my options, sometimes tracks are shown as downloaded, but it still shows syncing activity.. I would really approve it as a beta (based on my first few days of usage), but now it should be named an absolute dev version with a warning (use with caution). Fix this ASAP, I'm a premium user and I can't listen to a single track!

- Your country  - Australia

- Your phone's Operating System and version - WP8 Portico

Exceptionally high battery usage.  Battery used to lat 48 hours.  SInce Spotify was installed life drops to around 8 hours with same usage.

Phone: Nokia lumia 920 latest update

Date: Feb 18, 2013

Spotify app will suddenly crash "Fatal Error". 

Music will not play in any playlist of my own.

"What's new" music will not play

Search for an artist, results will not play

- Your country  - USA

- Your phone's Operating System and version - WP8

1. App makes my phone crash and reset. It has happened 4 times now, very soon after starting playing a song

2. App does not resume where left. After palying music in the car, when back to it and reconnecting, you have to go through the process of launching the app, selecting playlist.... it shows as running in the background, but does not seem to be the case

3. Offline mode is iffy. I have it configured for the only playlist I have right now (as I am testing the service) and it continuously shows the Offline mode for it OFF and fails to download the music

- Your country  - UK

- Your phone's Operating System and version - WP8

- Are you using 3G, WiFi? 3G. WiFi

Offline playists offten become unflagged it forgets they are marked as offline. (This problem was on WP7.5 too)

Phone randomly reboots when the app is playing music

If you skip a track sometimes it freezes for about 30 seconds, or longer.

If you connect a bluetooth device it starts the song you were listening to from scratch.

If you pause the song, you can't start it again from the pop down track/volcume shortcut (nothing is there).

I have the same issue - Spotify on my Lumia 920 will open, allow me to see my playlists, allow me to search music, but when I attempt to play anything it just loads and loads and loads.  I have let it sit there for up to 5 minutes with no luck (on both LTE and Wi-Fi).

-Device:  Lumia 920 (most current software update applied)

-I have logged in using both my Spotify username and my Facebook account, I get the same issue using either.

Same exact issue I am having

UPDATE:  For anyone having the issue where it just loads a song and never plays I was able to fix this doing the following:

FIRST:  My set up:

-I have Spotify Premium, I originally set up a Spotify account but then linked it to my Facebook so I can login with either.  I tried using both and neither was working.

-I have my Facebook account set to higher security, so it sends me texts when trying to login (and so when I would login to spotify it was sending me a code to use).  I was able to login but no song played.

THE FIX:

-In facebook, I went to security and did "Generate App Password".  I used that password and logged in with my facebook account.

That worked!  Hope that might help some of you with a similar set up 🙂

I have the same setup. This fixed my problem. Thanks a bunch 🙂

That fixed the problem for me.  Thanks

This fixed my problem. Thank you!

Nice find, voltronad! I think that will help a lot of WP users.

Community Ergo Sum

Hi,

I have the same issue but I am not a Facebook user or account holder. The only thing I have done is accepted a shared playlist from another user who is linked to Facebook.  That could be be the cause surely?

Nokia 920 on latest software - Premium Account on Spotify

@shaunihall wrote:

Hi,

I have the same issue but I am not a Facebook user or account holder. The only thing I have done is accepted a shared playlist from another user who is linked to Facebook.  That could be be the cause surely?

Nokia 920 on latest software - Premium Account on Spotify

Doesn't sound like the same cause. 

Can you describe the behaviour you are getting? First thing to try is a clean reinstallation of the app and see if that makes any difference.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This worked for me, Thanks!

Suggested posts