Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Web Player: play.spotify vs open.spotify

Web Player: play.spotify vs open.spotify

For the past two-three weeks I've been having issues with the web player. 

The main issue seems to be that rather than seeing play.spotify in the URL, it automatically redirects me to open.spotify - this happens both when I try accessing the web player via Chrome apps, and when I input the address manually.

The layout is very different. There are less features down the left hand side, there is no control column on the right (there's just a small one at the bottom of the screen), I cannot access my friends profiles etc... The 'settings' section is also missing.

The biggest frustration of all is that music won't play!! It doesn't matter if I press the 'play' icon next to a song, in the control bar, on an artist's page...nothing happens.

I've contacted Spotify Care via Facebook, they have asked me to try several things (incl. clearing cache and cookies, trying different browsers, incognito...) nothing seems to be fixing the issue yet!

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 6.50.00 PM.png
30 Replies

Hey @PixelBays, thanks for coming to the Spotify Community!

Spotify seems to be rolling out blind betas to various users, and there doesn't appear to be a simple solution to fix your web player. You can, however, download a desktop app version which is more reliable and is more easily navigated here: https://www.spotify.com/download/other/

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else. Happy listening 🙂

Hi @lukenamop

Thanks for your suggestion - I do actually have the desktop app but unfortunately it's not a great option for me as it slows my laptop right down and also often crashes 😞

Hopefully this beta version will be veto-ed (or at least taken back to the drawing board) soon, because it feels like quite a few steps back to me. It's a shame there isn't an 'opt-out' option, or even a feedback area (I always thought the whole point of a beta was for testing and feedback).

For now I'll continue using alternative music platforms, but hopefully if I keep checking back my Spotify web player will have changed back soon 🙂

Hey there @PixelBays 🙂

Just wanted to add that if you have any issues with the Spotify app, a clean re-install usually does the trick! You can check the step-by-step guide here: https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/troubleshooting2/reinstallation-of-spotify/

Also, feel free to leave feedback on the Ideas section here in the community.

Let me know if it helped!
K
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

Hi @KatesHere

Thanks for your suggestion. I've given it a go (had issues along the way with spotifywebhelper but have managed to get around it). I'm now at least able to open the desktop app without it crashing (but only time will tell as it's only been five minutes). 

Still, I hope I'll be able to revert back to the web player soon. I'd rather not have extra programmes open when possible, it really affects the performance of my laptop.

I really appreciate the help though, at least it's a step in the right direction. Thanks!

I'm having this problem too. Open version way too limited for me, couldn't find the play queue or settings. The last.fm scrobbling isn't working either. I canceled my premium instantly when my Play was replaced with Open. Too bad this is the way companies try to "improve" their products.

I have this problem too, I'm a paying customer, and I use Linux which means downloading the app is not a "solution" since the Linux app is worthless.

How do I solve this?

Just happened to me too. My dad had it happen to him months ago and I was so thankful it hadn't got rolled out to me yet. It's so bad that I think I have to stop using spotify which sucks! I love spotify but this is unuseable.

Same problem here. I get a banner at the top saying "something went wrong" and to refresh.

Console log pastebin here:

http://pastebin.com/mvqE6HtH

Happens when all addons are disabled.

Browser: Chromium on Ubuntu

Doesn't work in Firefox either for different issue, the output is muted automatically even after unmute.

Yup - happening to me too. I cant use the desktop version at work which is were I listen to most my music. Very disappointing as a premium customer - really liked the service as well, guess its time to unsubscribe

Found workaround - hopefully not temporary - UA spoofer extension in Chrome - playing as IE10 and I can view play.spotify with all the features working

2017-02-21_13-58-54.jpg

Yeah man, that's what I'm using too but it's ridiculous that you have to go to those lengths to work around this huge blunder. It's not a solution, Spotify needs to provide an opt-out for their terrible beta testing or whatever is happening.

I'm having this issue on Chrome, the layout is awful and also it is very inconvienient to use, as it turns off shuffle and repeat everytime I select a new song to play

Plus it is on a school computer so I can install things 😞

I have the same problem, aren't they go to fix it?

Also the interface is too big. Can't add songs to shared lists, it's a real disaster...

I think if this week is not solved, I will stop using it. I have a friend who has the same problem and says that she also receives more advertisment ...

From what I understand, the switching has been going on since last year. I don't think it's something to "fix" as in a bug, it's just that they're forcing people to use open.spotify.com rather than play.spotify.com. The only work-arounds I know of have been stated above (UA spoofer and/or different browsers). Pathetic!

Well, I'm afraid then i?ll stop using spotify. The app never worked weel in my computer and all browsers redirect me to open.spotify. I wonder if it will be a strategy of Spotify to...sink? I don't understand anything...

Try using this extension ("User-Agent Switcher for Chrome") in Chrome. Once installed, switch to Internet Explorer > Internet Explorer 10 and go to play.spotify.com. Once you're there, you can switch it back to Chrome > Default. You have to do this each time before you visit play.spotify.com but it does seem to work.

Thank you lifz, it works. Thank you for your help!!

Spotify really messed up. I cant even access my query. not sure what they were thinking. Nothing can be played. 

Spotify, please fix this issue.

Suggested posts