Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Webplayer will not work on any Browser

Solved!

Webplayer will not work on any Browser

I cannot play any music on the Spotify web player. The "Now Playing" message permanently lists James Vincent McMorrow's "Get Low", but pressing the play button does not make the music play. Neither does trying to play a different song/album/playlist; it just continues to list "Get Low" but doesn't play anything.

I have tried clearing my cookies, but it had no effect. I have tried the web player on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, but the exact same problem persists on all three browsers, leading me to believe this is some account issue. 

Any suggestions what I can do?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all! 🙂

There is a feature called Spotify Connect, which works cross-platform on Spotify clients supporting this. Usually there are no issues with it on the desktop, mobile and other clients, but on the web player it may sometimes lock it up. Frozen session, or something like that.

That would also explain why it doesn't work on any browsers.

Easiest fix is locating the button (computer icon on the left of Volume) and selecting 'This web player'. After this, you should be able to hit play on any song.

Sometimes the fix is selecting the web player from another device, such as mobile Spotify.

There are other methods that are worth trying as well:

1. Point your cursor on the album cover where the play symbol appears.

2. Start clicking fast the play cover button, press F5 for refresh while still clicking fast.

3. Click until the page has fully reloaded.

Then the player is available again for you to use. If it doen't work at the first time try a second time.

1. Log to the web player

2. Click on your user icon at the bottom left

3. Click on the "Full Website" button

4. Click on any proposed album under "Looking for music?"

Hitting Ctrl+F5 may help as well on both of these methods.

Other possible fixes is ensuring that there are no internal network restrictions (firewall rules etc). Flushing DNS may be useful as well as restarting the router.

If it was a general issue (failure of getting token or whatever), then the web player wouldn't work for me either. 🙂

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

I'm having the same issue as you. I also found the problem persisted on multiple browsers, computers, and even operating systems — regardless of clearing caches, disabling plug-ins, signing out everywhere, etc.

Also suspecting an account issue, I've been in touch with Spotify to rectify the problem, but all they suggest right now is making a new account (mind you, they're willing to transfer playlists). It's just frustrating that if multiple users have accounts that are suddenly broken, it doesn't seem reasonable to expect them to go through the process of restarting their accounts.

Hoping a better solution comes along soon!

How come spotify is so trash?

Same issue here. I tried with two different computers in two different cities.

When I press play Chrome Developer console complains

play:1 POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/connect-api/v2/from/23b45199e9f4449da06ef3b643e25390d4ea9f42/device... 404 ()

Same problem here. Google Chrome developer console:

Refused to execute inline script because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "script-src 'self' 'unsafe-eval' open.scdn.co www.google-analytics.com cdn.ravenjs.com vt.myvisualiq.net www.gstatic.com". Either the 'unsafe-inline' keyword, a hash ('sha256-ex*********************='), or a nonce ('nonce-...') is required to enable inline execution.

Which causes the play button to be inactive at the bottom. My guess: the (disallowed) inline-script should create a token. The token will be used the fetch the player. Since the token hasn't been created, fetching seems to result in a 404:

POST https://gew-spclient.spotify.com/connect-api/v2/from/2a7bdf07e1**************/device/2135b9da*******... 404 ()

In fact, the gew-spclient returns a 401 "No token provided".

Spotify, can you please allow the inline-script in the script-src to fix this problem please?

Marked as solution

Hey all! 🙂

There is a feature called Spotify Connect, which works cross-platform on Spotify clients supporting this. Usually there are no issues with it on the desktop, mobile and other clients, but on the web player it may sometimes lock it up. Frozen session, or something like that.

That would also explain why it doesn't work on any browsers.

Easiest fix is locating the button (computer icon on the left of Volume) and selecting 'This web player'. After this, you should be able to hit play on any song.

Sometimes the fix is selecting the web player from another device, such as mobile Spotify.

There are other methods that are worth trying as well:

1. Point your cursor on the album cover where the play symbol appears.

2. Start clicking fast the play cover button, press F5 for refresh while still clicking fast.

3. Click until the page has fully reloaded.

Then the player is available again for you to use. If it doen't work at the first time try a second time.

1. Log to the web player

2. Click on your user icon at the bottom left

3. Click on the "Full Website" button

4. Click on any proposed album under "Looking for music?"

Hitting Ctrl+F5 may help as well on both of these methods.

Other possible fixes is ensuring that there are no internal network restrictions (firewall rules etc). Flushing DNS may be useful as well as restarting the router.

If it was a general issue (failure of getting token or whatever), then the web player wouldn't work for me either. 🙂

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I can't see other devices in the Spotfiy Connect window, already tried selecting the web browser.

When I start klicking an album like a madman, hit ctrl+F5 and still keep klicking untill the page fully loaded, it started working again.

Weird, I've tried hard refreshing (ctrl+F5) many times and that didn't work in the past. Even cleared caches, cookies etc.

Anyway, thanks for the hint!

Thanks Sebasty,

clicking at the play button while restarting the site (F5) has worked for me. What a relief 😉

That manic clicking whilst refreshing somehow solved the problem. Thanks!

Sebasty, your solution worked for me! I'd been scouring the forum all week and am super pleased at finding a workaround! It sure beats Spotify Support's recommendation to make a new account instead.

Suggested posts