Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

You're Listening on Another Device

Solved!

You're Listening on Another Device

My Spotify Web Player has a green bar on the bottom saying I'm listening on my iPhone and won't let me play in browser - my iPhone Spotify isn't open or playing currently. 

I did have my Spotify account connected to an Amazon Echo - however, the green bar still shows even when I disconnected it. It seems to be only happening in the most updated version of the web browser and on Chrome.

Thanks for any help in advance! 

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 8.23.23 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I found a fix for this

Using another device, tap on devices available and select Spotify Web player.
Resolved it for me.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I have the same problem. Thinks it's playing on my Android, even after I uninstalled the app from my phone and logged out everywhere using the web interface.

I'm having the same issue. Any idea on how to fix it?

Same exact problem.  When in Chrome, the message says I'm using spotify on my home PC.  I know this isn't true, and I've logged off of all devices, and cleared my cookies/cache.  I'd love to be able to play music on Chrome again.

Has anyone managed to get a response from Spotify on this?  This has just happened to me all of a sudden this past week, saying I'm listening on my tablet when I'm not.  

I've tried using the 'log out everywhere' option, cleared the cache on my browser (Chrome) and changed my password and still have the same problem.

The common theme seems to be use of Chrome.

I tried logging in with IE - it works now.  So the issue is that this version has compatibility issues with Chrome, but I'm not seeing any answer.

Inconvenient for me as well because I have to restart IE several times a day based on logins that require the browser to be closed out.

I gotta imagine if there are 5+ in this thread it's a wider problem.  Hopefully somebody gets to the bottom of it.

I went to great depths with Spotify email help and while they were extremely helpful, nothing could be done.  The issue with me is that my PC is XP and Spotify now has formally cut support for that platform.  As such, Web Player does not function.

I do NOT use Chrome, but still have the issue.  Until I upgrade my PC to Windows 10 or whatever, I can only listen to Spotify on my iPad or iPhone.

Same issue:

Spotify Web Player wont start playing on Mac OS X 10.11.6, Chrome AND Firefox, showing that it already plays on my S5

Used Spotify App on Samsung S5, Android 6.0.1 a few days ago

Web player worked yesterday though, today no more!

Tried logging out everywhere, clearing all browser cache, switched browser to firefox, nothing helped!

Same thing is happening to me, I've done signout everywhere, i've restared my pc and cleared everything it is bull**bleep**

Same problem for me on Chrome.

Works with Firefox though!

Played with this for awhile and figured something out that worked for me. So it seems like the common theme is that it says it's playing on your mobile device when you're trying to listen through a web player. What I did to get around this was the following:

1. Start playing a song on your mobile device (it won't let you switch devices on your phone unless you're already playing music),

2. then go to the settings menu (on my andriod you have to go to the "Your Library" tab, then the gear button at the top right is the settings),

3. scroll down to "Devices" and hit "Connect to a device"

4. select Spotify Web Player

Again, not sure if this will work for everyone, I don't work for Spotify, all I know is it worked for me after playing around for a bit. I had tried downloading multiple other browsers, etc to no avail. Hopefully this helps someone!

Marked as solution

I found a fix for this

Using another device, tap on devices available and select Spotify Web player.
Resolved it for me.

Its chrome. Use another browser, that worked for me.

Bingo. This worked a treat. It was driving me nuts. Thanks.

It's the open.spotify.com player. I tried logging out of all devices, using Chrome and Firefox, using private/icognito browsing. It was listing multiple past sessions that could not possibly still be connected (private browsing and rebooted computer) and saying "You're listening on Spotify Web Player".

I ended up using MS Edge instead because (at time of writing) it still uses the old play.spotify.com interface which doesn't seem to suffer from this issue.

What I don't get is how there's no option to remove other devices, or at least "Play from this device". It's ridiculous.

Which solution worked??

Suggested posts