Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

set default sorting of playlists

Solved!

set default sorting of playlists

I love Spotify, LOVE it. So much I use it very regularly, and as you can imagine a good portion of my use is while I'm at work or driving. The one thing that I think could use a tweak is how the organization of playlists is handled. I would love to see an option to set a default method of sorting for each or all playlists.

I understand that I'm general, oldest --> newest sorting of music makes the most sense, but I have some large playlists. Some of them I use to play new songs I've found, but it is fairly tedious to re-sort the list every time you go back into it - especially while busy.

I don't imagine thus should be a hard fix, I just hope I'm not the only one who wants to see this. if there is already a way to accomplish this and I've missed something, please disregard this post and just let me know haha.

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately there's no way to do this and, from a quick scan of the ideas topic, it's unlikely to be implemented. However, there is an easy work-around which you can use on the dektop client.

Sort a playlist in your preferred order then select all the tracks and add them to a new playlist. This way, the order will be preserved in the new playlist and the original list can be deleted.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Marked as solution

Unfortunately there's no way to do this and, from a quick scan of the ideas topic, it's unlikely to be implemented. However, there is an easy work-around which you can use on the dektop client.

Sort a playlist in your preferred order then select all the tracks and add them to a new playlist. This way, the order will be preserved in the new playlist and the original list can be deleted.

I figured it isn't likely to be implimented =/  That work around is a good idea though, thanks for the idea =]

How do you sor playlists?  I would love for mine to be in alphabetical order instead of order of creation.

@NotBeverly - Unfortunately dragging and dropping in the desktop client is the only way to sort.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

If you want to put posts in alphabetical order, go to the desired playlist and select "Track" on the desktop client (the first title above the first song in your playlist). 1 click=alphabetical a to z, 2 clicks=alphabetical z to a, 3 clicks=back to normal. When you come back, it should still be how you last organized it. Hope that helps! 🙂

Unfortunately this sort_and_copy_to_a_new_playlist solution doesn't seem to work on a new 1.0.1.1060 build on PC 😕

There is a solution. When you click a collumn heading to sort it according to the collumn contents, just press it twice more so the up/down arrow disappears. At that moment the list is back in it's original order

You can do this since 2015:

https://support.spotify.com/article/sorting-and-filtering/

On the mobile and tablet app, you can sort:

• Song listings within playlists. Either alphabetically by Title, Artist, or Album, or by Recently added.

• Playlists, Songs, Artists, and Albums in Your Library. Either alphabetically by Name, Title, Album, or Artist, or by Recently played or Recently added. ​​​Sort options may vary depending on the list you’re sorting.

Here’s how:

1. Go to the list you’d like to sort.
  2. Pull down and release to display  at the top. Tap it.
  3. Under Sort By, tap your preferred option.
  4. Repeat these steps to reverse the order or pick another sort option.

Tip: There’s also an option to sort by Custom. This is the list’s default view. If you created the list, you can manually reorder this. Check out the steps to sort songs and playlists for desktop above, or how to Create and edit playlists.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That worked. You're awesome 🙂

You're welcome!

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Would really like this to work on the web version, but it doesn't...

Suggested posts