Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Any wanderers of everynoise.com here?

Any wanderers of everynoise.com here?

Hey 🙂

Curious to see how many of you are using the site to explore music and investigate genres. 🙂
If yes, have you found some awesome content, or maybe discovered something that's not quite your taste, but is still really interesting?

Everynoise.com is a site mapping all genres available on Spotify as well as providing playlists of different kinds for each genre as well as the whole collection of them.
Clicking on the genre will play a sample. Clicking on the >> arrows on a genre will open a cloud of artists recognised as such.
"Scan" will play random samples from all genres/artists visible. The samples will be shortened to 5 seconds, though.

Cheers!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
6 Replies

Hi Sebasty, thanks for reminding me about this great resource to discover new genres and playlists. I had only visited everynoise.com once previously, and thought that the artist maps for each genre were very informative but somewhat cluttered. However, until I saw your post today I was unaware that for each artist that you search for, the genre tags link to playlists by The Sounds of Spotify, which I find quite easy to browse through; and also that you can switch from the map view of any genre to a numbered list of related genres by clicking on the “>>” for any of the genres that appear in the box at the bottom of the page, which is also quite easy to browse through.

I had already been following a few of the linked playlists by The Sounds of Spotify that appear when searching for my favorite artists, including “The Sound of Stoner Rock,” “The Sound of Instrumental Stoner Rock,” “The Sound of Stoner Metal,” “The Sound of Space Rock,” and “The Sound of Psychedelic Doom”; however, I was able to discover a few other playlists today through everynoise.com that I was previously unaware of as well that sound like something I would really enjoy, specifically regional playlists including “The Sound of UK Stoner Rock,” “The Sound of Swedish Stoner Rock,” “The Sound of German Stoner Rock,” “The Sound of Latin American Heavy Psych,” as well as “The Sound of Heavy Psych” and “The Sound of Retro Metal.” The lattermost playlist I am especially looking forward to listening to, as I enjoy music that brings listeners back to the origins of heavy metal in the early 1970’s, when it had not yet fully distinguished itself from rock.

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hey @AdamDam 

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this! I'm not the only one : )

I don't really listen to genre playlists too often, but I do search through samples and the artists under a genre.
I have found some nice things :')
For instance this lovely tune by Abou Diarra (ngoni was the genre)
spotify:track:1h6fyYyKfPTu4QCvPOz3pB:small 

Been actually looking for music like that!

The sample of bass music reminded me Zomby exists, and I do have a soft spot for the 90's rave scene scented beats!
spotify:track:1SZ5Q4PdUbdgm8Mwl6KOmq:small 

I also find that regional genres (french post rock, berlin minimal techno, russian electronic, etc) contain some really interesting gems and are perhaps more worth taking a look at.
I do know russian electronic scene is amazing (it seems to evolve on its own, apart from all other scenes), but I guess some guidance even if algorithmic is never a bad idea.

I've been listening through a blues playlist for about a week by now I think. Not sure why, but just for kicks. : )

spotify:track:4SCge41oDQOTIcfmhnYvAQ:small 

..yap.

SebastySpotify Star

I primarily use the sound-of playlists more than the website itself, but it's been an interesting way to dig for new music. I would maybe use the visualization more if there was an easier way to seed it a genre. Would be curious to see what the spotify team has internally for that kind of thing, as I'm sure there's some data viz people working on it. What I'd do to know what's going on under the hood haha.

I use it constantly and I recently discovered something new. From https://everynoise.com/ click on "other things" and then click on "do your own research". When you enter an artist, it will try to find it. Once it does,  it takes you to the artist page and in the far top right there is a "the canonical path" link. This takes you to a playlist that you can open in Spotify. It is similar to "The Sound Of" but it seems to have only one song per artist and it is longer. I'm really enjoying these playlists. Does anyone know how these are generated?

Ohhhh!

now THAT is very useful to me 👀

I don't know how it's created though. There is a description at the bottom of the page that says this:

the most canonical paths across the shared surface of the world's music, starting at the point of some particular artist and going...outward, every other direction at once. This is an attempt to generate those paths, unwinding spirals into lines using nothing but Spotify listening patterns and one song per artist.

but I assume you've already seen it.

...wish it did one song from one artist version with genres too.

SebastySpotify Star

Yes it took me a while but I did see the explanation and also noticed it is available in the "other things menu". I have been listening to one of those lists all day and it appears that instead of looking at you, it looks at "fans also like". It is cool though. It does not deviate too much. It stays within the same 3 or 4 micro genres. 

Suggested posts