Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Question of the Week: Favourite music from 2022

Question of the Week: Favourite music from 2022

Hello all!

One last time, a very happy 2023 to you all! We hope you had an awesome celebration. On this wonderful Friday the 13th, let's hit it with the first Question of the Week for the new year.

And what better way to start, than to take a look back at the road we travelled and celebrate some of the amazing music that came out in the past year. So that's the question, what was your favourite release from 2022? Post 'em below, we'd love to hear what you have to share.

To kick it off, here's some from me:

Firstly, one of my favourite bands Mechina, who I have mentioned many times before on here, dropped their new record Venator at the top of the hour on January 1st 2022. This has since become a tradition and they've dropped a new new record this January 1st, I'm super hyped to check it out soon. About Venator though, man, what a way to kick off the year. It's everything one can expect from Mechina - bonecrunching mechanical riffs, soaring symphonic melodies and catchy vocal hooks. The last few records have been heavily dominated by female vocals and that's great, I enjoyed them a lot, but I would be lying if I didn't tell you that when original vocalist David Holch's mighty growl came back on The Embers of Old Earth, I was jumping up and down and clapping like a seal. The whole record is solid through and through though.

spotify:track:6ZwxFfja6RzC4m69eiLVwM:small 

Next up, one of my favourite bands in the world, Finnish titans Amorphis, blessed us with a new album titled Halo. And honestly, it's more of the same as the last 2-3 records, but who cares, when that same means absolute bliss for the ears. Few bands make metal as beautiful as them, while also retaining a solid degree of heaviness. They easily made it into my Wrapped for the 3rd year in a row. I saw Amorphis live this year on an open air festival and the fact that we got hit with very very heavy rain and some technical problems did not stop me from staying and being blown away by the bards of Finland. Amazing stuff as always. Until we meet again! Kiitos!

spotify:track:3dvfxnDmVRkTJAv61hXg2N:small 

My boy The Algorithm, French God of computers and memes also blessed us with a new album - Data Renaissance. What an awesome title! And yet again, I am blown away by this man's seemingly infinite creativity when it comes to combining a very wide array of electronic soundscapes with real instrumentation to create these virtual vistas. Deservingly, the Frenchman earned himself a spot in my Wrapped once again. 

spotify:track:3d9vBBrRuItAyZ2bNvmKod:small 

From futuristic technology to ancient folklore, here come Swedish folk metal giants Grimner with their new album Urfader. More fun folk melodies, more punchy riffs and more fantastic vocals with epic lyrics about Norse legends and tales. These lads never disappoint. Skål!

spotify:track:6Xr5EzIC0Mtej5twGTa8Mo:small 

Sweden wasn't done yet, because the titans from Sabaton also dropped a new record this year - The War to End All Wars, their second World War I themed album. Just as good as the first, this album has a special treat however. After all these years, Sabaton kept their promise and made a song about Bulgaria, and it's AWESOME! It was a once in a lifetime experience to sing this epic tune with thousands of others at their show this year. It was definitely worth the wait!

spotify:track:4jqBlA2ZyD7njl3qglYwlN:small 

And while we're on a Bulgarian note, our very own Odd Crew released a melancholic masterpiece titled Dark Matters Pt. 1 this year. And damn, this is an experience! An absolutely amazing album filled with emotion, conveyed through fantastic musicianship. Odd Crew continue to solidify their spot as Bulgaria's best musical export right now. The album title also implies that a Part 2 of this is on the way, so can't wait for that! Keep at it lads, you're doing something incredible! S.P.R.F.!

spotify:track:19kI2VTqi5jcRviTto52XC:small 

And to finish off, a single release instead of an album. Bone Cult are a fairly underground electronic music duo from the UK and are, in my humble opinion, criminally underrated. Easily one of the most unique bands to come out in the last decade. This year, they blessed us with one new song, but what a song it is! With the best vocals the band have offered thus far, a really catchy melody and a very entrancing melancholic vibe, I couldn't get enough of this track. It predictably was the most played track on my Wrapped this year. 

spotify:track:7zN2FqAMLqAPPlQdfQ6vnr:small 

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
10 Replies

It's hard to say what my favourite release of 2022 is. I think Ivy Lab's "Infinite Falling Ground" fits that title rather well.
I write about my highlights in here too :')

From Ivy Lab's album, my favourite song would be Balaclava:
spotify:track:2Me1q0or19mNq3OhmTC97N:small 

SebastySpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Great question, @Joan!

Out of all the releases from last year that I’ve been enjoying listening to, I’d say my current favorite is Night Parade Of One Hundred Demons by the psychedelic rock band Earthless.

This album is composed of three instrumental songs that could be described as heavy psych or perhaps stoner rock. I think they sound great—especially the songs “Night Parade Of One Hundred Demons, Pt. 1” and “Death To The Red Sun.”

This is probably favorite track from the album:

spotify:track:1lcCkqjHn9gqh29EqHqu8L:small 

Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Very good question.

I will pick a song from a friend of mine.

In my opinion it is a really good song and deserves some more recognition 🙂 

https://open.spotify.com/track/23nG4BRZbpENL44N0arMRf?si=RT5ny2CoSfSf4VkbtGld8w

@TreyAnastasio you might actually enjoy his song based on your playlist, so if you want to you can listen to it and maybe also give a feedback. 

Thank you @adrian_oechsner for this song recommendation; I look forward to listening to it soon. Cheers!

AdamDamSpotify Star

Hi, is there  anybody  like myself  and my friends  totally  fed up because  you cannot sample  songs  that you may wish  to add to your playlist.  I know things change , but this was the best idea.  Other music platforms still  allow  samples. Will  consider  joining  one I think  🤔 

Great question @Joan 

Last year was pretty interesting for me in terms of music because I really tried to go out more and discover new music, it worked btw, to the point where I streamed very few podcast episodes. 

But anyway, most of the songs that stuck with me were released by familiar artists.

I had like a month long obsession with Panic At The Disco! last year around June so I was really glad when they released a new album towards the end of the year.

This particular song stuck with me because of the way my life was at that moment I guess 😂

Here 

Then I discovered a new track by Sir Sly, whom I already knew at the time. Wasn't a new release but new to me

Too far gone . I love his music because it's lush and ethereal and really just chill vibes.

The Weeknd also released 

Dawn FM 

This was definitely one of my highest points during the year and by my standards, it is a perfect 10.

Then I discovered BORNS and his great album

Dopamine 

Last but not least, Metro Boomin released a very good album during December, and I was impressed because all the songs had major replay value. 

Creepin is the one that went into my On Repeat though.

But all in all, I'll say

Best song I found

This one 

Best album: Dawn FM

Best artist: BORNS

Right now it's like mid January but I've found new gems and I'm off to a good start.

Take care 🖤🎧

TaylithSpotify Star

@adrian_oechsner wrote:

Very good question.

I will pick a song from a friend of mine.

In my opinion it is a really good song and deserves some more recognition 🙂 

https://open.spotify.com/track/23nG4BRZbpENL44N0arMRf?si=RT5ny2CoSfSf4VkbtGld8w

@TreyAnastasio you might actually enjoy his song based on your playlist, so if you want to you can listen to it and maybe also give a Hunting Rangefinder feedback. 

Suggested posts