Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tracks missing from playlist when shared

Solved!

Tracks missing from playlist when shared

Hey Guys! 

I've just noticed that on some of my shared playlists, no tracks are showing up at all while on others only a certain number of tracks are showing. 

Is it correct to think that all songs in white, even if they have the local file icon should be playable everyone? The greyed out song titles/artists are not actually linked to Spotify's catalgoue and therefore unplayable?

How do I tell if my local files are linked to the Spotify library and therefore playable to everyone else? 

Thanks! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey again 🙂 

Just had a look at this for you. 

The first link opens correctly as you said with most of the tracks playable:

spotify playlist issue 1.png

The second link for some reason gives a blank HTML link page, but after I click play and it opens in the Spotify client, all the tracks are there are many of them are playable:

spotify playlist issue 2.png

spotify playlist issue 3.png

So it is definitely working 😉 could just be the website pages are not quite up to date. Fingers crossed it will fix itself! 

Some proper good tunes on that playlist too btw!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I have just had a look at this on my client for you, it appears that in the most recent update, all the tracks in a playlist have the same shade of grey, even if the tracks are unavailable in the Spotify catalogue. 

The only way I can find to see if a song has been linked to Spotify is to right click on the track, if you see "Go to Replacement" you know it has been linked to the Spotify catalogue.

Peter

Peter

Hi, is this about the Mac, Windows or Linux client so I can move it to the relevant section?

Hey Peter, 

Ok, that helps a bit but on one of the playlists, the Go To Replacement option is there, but when I publish the list, the only track that shows is the one I found in the Spotify music library. 

I thought that any song I added to a play list was added to my Spotify library and was therefore available to all users? Maybe I picked that piece of info up wrong??

Thanks! 

Jen 

Hey again 🙂 

When you add local files to a playlist, Spotify will attempt to match those against one in the Spotify catalogue so when you share the playlist with others, they will be able to listen to the one in the Spotify catalogue. Local files are only for you use, since if you where allowed to share them with friends that would be copyright infridgement 😉 

Peter

Peter

Hello 🙂

Aha! Now I think I'm getting somewhere! 🙂

The playlist I made using files from Spotify's library seem to be mostly ok - it's the playlists I've imported from iTunes that have no files showing when the link is shared. I've right-clicked on them and I get the "Go To Replacement" option.... 

Any suggestions as to where I'm going wrong? 

Thanks! 

Strange, can you paste the link to the playlist here? 

Just right click in the client, select "Copy HTTP link" and then paste it here 😛 

Peter

Peter

Sure! 

This one was created directly in Spotify, and it mostly intact, there is just one or two track missing: http://open.spotify.com/user/littlebeastmixes/playlist/42acN0dezCOL7HaPX1blvT

verses this one which I created in iTunes and imported in: I've checked and it is ticked as published when I right-click! 

http://open.spotify.com/user/littlebeastmixes/playlist/32RqqhQqX5yjH7BZMNtOIH 

Could there be something in my settings or preferences gone awry?

Thanks again - you are being very helpful and patient! 

Jen 🙂

Marked as solution

Hey again 🙂 

Just had a look at this for you. 

The first link opens correctly as you said with most of the tracks playable:

spotify playlist issue 1.png

The second link for some reason gives a blank HTML link page, but after I click play and it opens in the Spotify client, all the tracks are there are many of them are playable:

spotify playlist issue 2.png

spotify playlist issue 3.png

So it is definitely working 😉 could just be the website pages are not quite up to date. Fingers crossed it will fix itself! 

Some proper good tunes on that playlist too btw!

Peter

Peter

Excellent! 

Thanks a mil for all your help this evening 🙂 

Delighted you liked the look of some of the tracks! 🙂

No problem 🙂 

Enjoy your tunes!

Peter

Peter

Hi,

I made a playlist, which ahs 50 songs. They're all downloaded to my pc but when I share on Facebook, 20 songs are missing. I got all of them from the Spotify library and none of them are greyed out.... What's wrong?

@ChantalGuitar wrote:

Hi,

I made a playlist, which ahs 50 songs. They're all downloaded to my pc but when I share on Facebook, 20 songs are missing. I got all of them from the Spotify library and none of them are greyed out.... What's wrong?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Are any of the tracks in that playlist local files which are stored on your computer? If you view your playlist in the desktop client, any local files will have a little music note symbol beside them. 

Peter

Peter

Glad to see some of you are having simliar issues.

The unique issue I've having, however, has nothing to do with sharing playlists that include any files imported from my computer.  I have created a 25 song playlist directly from the Spotify music catalog and yet when I share that playlist certain songs (3) do not show for my friends.

What could cause Spotify playlists directly made from the Spotify database to not show when I share it?

Thanks.

Hi. Can you check that those three tracks don't have the local file symbol shown. Are these tracks missing for folk in a different country as licensing differs between countries.

@bpword2322 wrote:

Glad to see some of you are having simliar issues.

The unique issue I've having, however, has nothing to do with sharing playlists that include any files imported from my computer.  I have created a 25 song playlist directly from the Spotify music catalog and yet when I share that playlist certain songs (3) do not show for my friends.

What could cause Spotify playlists directly made from the Spotify database to not show when I share it?

Thanks.

Would you guys be able to post links to the playlists you are having issues with? 

Right click on the playlist name > Copy HTTP link.

Peter

Peter

Apologies for the delay.  

Tim McGraw Concert Playlist

The entire playlist was built from the Spotify database.  I am a premium subscriber.  Just strange that the songs in question are greyed out.

Thanks for any guidance/insight you might have.

I can't play 4 of the tracks in that playlist according to Spotify they where added to the playlist as local files which is why I can't play them.

Digging into a little closer they must be local files from somewhere, since the album "All I Want" is not in the Spotify catalogue.

Peter

Peter

Interesting.  When I do a "search" on Spotify for an artist do my local files that match that artist also show up?  

Hey All,

The original issue seems to be back - I just created this playlist Midweek Road Trip Part 1 and only 30 of the 64 tracks are showing?

I made sure when I was creating it to select tracks from the Spotify library.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Suggested posts