Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I use the API for an app with a game-like feature for non-commercial school project?

Can I use the API for an app with a game-like feature for non-commercial school project?

The Spotify API Terms of Service states:

c. Games and trivia quizzes. Unless you receive Spotify’s written approval, you shall not use the Spotify Platform to incorporate Spotify Content into any game functionality (including trivia quizzes).

I was wondering, since this project is a non-commercial school project, do we still need permission to utilize the API for our game-like feature in our application? The game part is just users are given a prompt and choose a song related to the prompt. People then vote on the best song for the prompt, and that's the one that gets played. I don't know if this counts too much as a game, but I don't know where to request permission if we even need it for this non-commercial academic application. If anyone could let me know where to request permission, or if I don't need permission, that'd be great. Thanks!

3 Replies

Hey, did you find a solution for this? Im developing a non-commercial game for one of my courses in uni and would also like to use the spotifyAPI for this. Any new information on this is appreciated 🙂

The Spotify Developer Policy has been updated, and now simply says "Do not create a game, including trivia quizzes.". So, now you can't get written approval for this, and isn't allowed anymore.

writing utility methods and storing song Data in arrays app thats my project CEIS209

Suggested posts