Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I get access to Made for You playlist by Web-API?

I can’t find any APIs that could access to my Discovery Weekly, Daily Mix, Daily Wellness or Release Radar.

Thanks for reply.

15 Replies

Hey there, help's here!

Hmm, I've taken a look and it seems that you can only get access to these playlists if the user follows them. You can then use the 'Get a List of Current User's Playlists'-endpoint and search for Discover Weekly, Daily Mixes, Daily Wellness or Release Radar. If the user follows them, you should be able to use the ID to access them.

If this is something you'd like to see in the API, could you share a bit more details around how you'd use this in your app? The Developer team are keeping an eye out on posts here and are always working on bringing new improvements to the API.

Keep me posted!

Have a great day,
Hubo
HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks, Hubo.

I am trying to make a remote control by myself. It would be great that I can skip to Daily Mix playlist without opening Spotify.

It could be done with my Fitbit Sense Watch. So I thought it would be some APIs available. Maybe they make it any other ways.

Hi Hubo,

Today when a Spotify member searches for Daily Mix using the API, she doesn't get any results (again, unless she bothered to follow a daily mix)

By contrast, a text search for 'discover weekly' brings up the curated playlist Spotify created, but 'daily mix' does not. It seems arbitrary which created-for-you playlists Spotify chooses to support in the API (and which it doesn't).  Daily Mix is not an uncommon way to want to listen to music. Just as "discover weekly" brings back a member's discover weekly playlist, typing in daily mix to get all five of the daily mixes seems super normal to do. 

Basically we want to make it so that when folks search for everyday content they can find in the spotify app, that same content is available in the API. Not having it makes our Spotify experience seem broken.

I would love for this to change so we can not have to worry about people abandoning using our app because we're missing key playlists.

Hi, I see this is from last year, and as of yet I've seen this hasn't been added since then.

This feature would be dramatically helpful to communicate with smart home devices. As of right now, I am not able to directly call my saved episodes ("My Episodes") as one of my saved routines. Instead, it finds the first playlist titled My Episodes and plays that instead. I'd love to be able to do something like this whether it be through a smart home or a custom built similacrim using similar technology. 

Hey @theaterjordan! Welcome to the community. Check out this API for access to your saved episodes: https://developer.spotify.com/documentation/web-api/reference/#/operations/get-users-saved-episodes

This is an endpoint I would also find helpful, in particular, to get "Your Top Songs 20XX" playlists. Currently, I am also having the same problem where users need to be following these playlists, which is not always the case.

Trying to use the Search endpoint to get "Your Top Songs" and then filtering by the name of the playlist + making sure the user that created it was Spotify will sometimes return a different user's wrapped. Specifically, another user calling the search endpoint while logged into my web appt has been receiving my Top Songs of 2016 playlist, and there is no way to verify that  the for-you playlist is created by the user performing the search, as far as I can tell

I would like to access my daily mixes via the webapi, and so far I am also running into similar issues

I have been trying to implement something like this.  The closest thing I get is searching by type='playlist', query='Daily Mix', and then filtering the results by owner='spotify:user:spotify'.  It'**bleep** or miss though.  It would be nice to be able to return the same results as the Spotify Web interface 'Made For John Smith' results.

lol - it interpreted the it is "hit or miss" as a bleep.  😄  "it's" and "hit or miss" was my intent.

I’m also forced to use such a work-around. However, I’ll give my users the option to “add” those Spotify playlists to the mix, so they don’t have to worry about other users’ playlists getting involved.

Alright y'all, I'm here to save the day.

You can get access to the user's Made For You playlists by using the Made For You category ID: 0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3

I found this out by navigating to: https://open.spotify.com/daily-mix-hub and picking up the category ID - it may say genre in the URL, but it's actually the category ID.

So, https://api.spotify.com/v1/browse/categories/0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3/playlists

Lmk if this is successful for y'all, too.

Hi KaliaHaze - I tried the category ID you suggested, and it returned 1 match for me: "podcast episodes picked just for you".

I also went to the https://open.spotify.com/daily-mix-hub link, and it had the same 0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3 category-id for me as well.  It showed 4 different items under there, of which the "podcast episodes for you" was not one of them.  I thought that was odd - why doesn't it show the "podcast episodes picked just for you"?

Another odd thing is that the 0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3 category ID does not show up in the list of items returned by a call to the 'https://api.spotify.com/v1/browse/categories' end point (e.g. all defined categories); HOWEVER, I can pull back information by category id using the 'https://api.spotify.com/v1/browse/categories/0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3' endpoint and it returns information about that category (spotify:category:0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3).

This suggests to me that there are "hidden" (or special) categories out there that can be used to pull content like this.  My question to Spotify is why aren't these published / documented? or at least returned by the browse/categories endpoint so that we can use them too.

Hi KaliaHaze - I changed my token from a public to a PKCE token, and it brought back 48 different playlists for the "Made For You" category ID of "0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3" that you mentioned - fantastic, thank you for that!  The "Daily Mix n" entries are included, as well as a bunch of other items.

My question still remains for the Spotify folks though - why is the "Made For You" category not included in the full list of browse categories returned by a call to the "https://api.spotify.com/v1/browse/categories" endpoint?  And are there other undocumented categories out there that we could use?

"https://api.spotify.com/v1/browse/categories/0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3"

"href": "https://api.spotify.com/v1/browse/categories/0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3"

"id": "0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3"

"name": "Made For You"

Here is what is returned for me for the "0JQ5DAt0tbjZptfcdMSKl3" category ID:

PlaylistSimplified Object: "2000s Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQn4jwNIohw50)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "2010s Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQqedj0y9Uwvu)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "70s Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQpVaHRDcozEz)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "80s Classic Rock Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIelF7Dvo3Edn)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "80s Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQqZlCxLOykhS)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "90s Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQn2GRFTFMl2A)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Big Daddy Weave Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIXISEEcXu7lc)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Building 429 Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIZhCls3rDko0)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Chill Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EVHGWrwldPRtj)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Christian Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQqZgBURAEzWH)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Christian Pop Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIeVI0oO4Yyqn)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Classic Rock Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIcVkEtbzdTRx)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Classical Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQn1VBR3CMMWb)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Country Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQmPV0vrce2QZ)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Drive" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EfKNTUOzliBWA)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Mix 1" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1E39vTG3GurFPW)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Mix 2" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1E39DIjrju3A9t)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Mix 3" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1E36yv9pXdC1Mb)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Mix 4" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1E35Ejqg6yJW0p)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Mix 5" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1E35nVVgp8iMex)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Mix 6" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1E36jYQ3GlpE9x)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Podcasts" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EnOBYmteT8p3O)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Sports" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EyxG2WBvC5Ceg)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Daily Wellness" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EFhh0kDQveZJa)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "daylist • gritty southern gospel afternoon" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EP6YuccBxUcC1)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Dinner Party Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIcCXdFf1s5Db)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Discover Weekly" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZEVXcTh0pBxo9pZe)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Gospel Choir Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIcZtLTErT1jt)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Instrumental Pop Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIf9ObTMJQVAf)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Jazz Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQqA6klNdJvwx)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Kathryn Toyama Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIXDl129VEkJ5)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "MercyMe Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIXugFamhVE51)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Moody Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EVKuMoAJjoTIw)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Mountain Music Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIcsIZ8uw8JQw)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "On Repeat" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1Epryht7IM5i2S)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Pop Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQncLwOalG3K7)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Release Radar" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZEVXbiNFjkDLNvBP)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Repeat Rewind" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EpPihffYbnnu7)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Rock Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EQpj7X7UK8OOF)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Romantic Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EVGJJ3r00UGAt)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Stomp and Holler Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIeZjQh5LX1AC)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "The Get Up" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EJb2vs22B46O0)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Traditional Irish Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIh1GhyoACUzx)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Upbeat Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EVJHK7Q1TBABQ)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Wedding Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIgiz8Fu77U50)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Whiteheart Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIZtABSO2Lhwn)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Your Time Capsule" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EuNsVAtapjbMc)
PlaylistSimplified Object: "Zach Williams Mix" (spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1EIVIY433xB0Rh)

Thanks a lot for sharing this finding!

Glad I could help y’all!

I know you’re building something good if you had the same blocker as me. If you care to share, let us know!

Suggested posts