Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

We have been using those SDKs since they became available.

Our particular app (Amazing Slow Downer) lets the user play music more slowly, since a couple of years ago also songs from Spotify. The "ios-streaming-sdk" is a beautifully designed framework that lets an audio developer do practically everything needed.
In our case it makes it possible to access the raw audio samples and this way process the sound and then playback the processed audio using our regular audio playback engine. With your new SDK this is not possible. It might be that the "ios-streaming-sdk" is more difficult to use for an average developer but that also makes it more powerful.

We have many users that uses Spotify. Many users switch from other streaming services such as "Apple Music", Tidal, Amazon Music etc to Spotify just to be able to slow down streaming music in real time.

We believe our app gives Spotify many many new subscribers, so many that it would actually pay off for Spotify to maintain the "ios-streaming-sdk".

We only use "playlist" functions and after fixing a couple of bugs in the "metadata framework" available on github, everything works 100%. Although there are certainly some bugs in the “ios-streaming-sdk”, they are very few and don’t affect our app.

We also have an Android version of our app that uses your Android streaming SDK and it also works very good.

We believe Spotify will loose thousands of users, so many that the minimal cost Spotify need to spend on maintenance will pay off manifold.

Since our app also supports playback and slowing down of streaming Apple Music, many of our users will probably switch from subscribing to Spotify to subscribing to Apple Music.

You write:

"After September 1st, important functionality in the streaming SDKs will stop working."
Exactly what does that mean? What part of the SDK will continue to work?

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs!

Rolf Nilsson
CTO
Roni Music

935 Replies

As many has said before, the 3rd party support for amazing slow downer is a thing that attracts customers. I don't see why it would be a wise move to stop something like that. 

Hi!

I'm using Amazing Slow Downer application to practice music, and it's being a very important tool for me. It helps me a lot growing in my musicianship.

I really love the integration Amazing Slow Downer with Spotify, so I can transcribe and play along with any music, available on Spotify. This simplifies life a lot.

On another note, this particular integration is one of the main reasons, why I stay with Spotify. I also have a Tidal subscription to listen to the music in high resolution.

But if Spotify decides to close the SDK and also decided to not pursue high-res (Spotify HiFi) direction, I'm afraid, I will have very few reasons to keep the subscription. 

Please, keep the SDK, it's instrumental for musicians community, and it would be very considerate from Spotify's side to take it into account.

Hi!

I'm using Amazing Slow Downer application to practice music, and it's being a very important tool for me. It helps me a lot growing in my musicianship.

I really love the integration Amazing Slow Downer with Spotify, so I can transcribe and play along with any music, available on Spotify. This simplifies life a lot.

On another note, this particular integration is one of the main reasons, why I stay with Spotify. I also have a Tidal subscription to listen to the music in high resolution.

But if Spotify decides to close the SDK and also decided to not pursue high-res (Spotify HiFi) direction, I'm afraid, I will have very few reasons to keep the subscription. 

Please, keep the SDK, it's instrumental for musicians community, and it would be very considerate from Spotify's side to take it into account.

I fully support the work done by Amazing Slow Downer group and have used Spotify and amazing slow downer together to really progress my playing. It will be a shame if this is no longer available. I hope you can get something sorted. I would reconsider my Spotify subscription if it couldn't be fixed. 

Hi All,

There is a large group of the music community that uses Spotify in conjunction with an app called Amazing Slow Downer. From September the 1st, Spotify are going to remove compatibility of their files with this app. This will be a real loss to the music community. The app allows the Spotify tubes to be stored down so that musicians can build up their understanding and ability at their own pace. It is literally an amazing app and it will be such a loss to musicians both young and old and beginner and maestro alike if Spotify stop their support. 

From what I understand of the technicalities it would take the developers very little time to maintain compatibility and it would continue to provide a really powerful tool for musicians of today and the future. 

You can sign a petition to keep compatibility here: https://chng.it/mhsfM9Q4

Pleas share the link with any you know who are affected by this issue.

Please like and reply if you support. 

Thanks. 

Charlie. 

Black Phoenix Records

I’m another musician that uses Amazing Slow Downer. Cancelled my Apple account when they made the decision to block us from using ASD and switched to Spotify to send my money to. Apple changed their mind but I’ve remained with Spotify simply because Apple originally cut us off. If you (Spotify) stick with this decision I will be cancelling my account with you, returning to Apple, and remain paying them. After talking with many other musicians I believe this will result in many musicians who pay for Spotify canceling their Spotify accounts and switching back to Apple, hurting your long term bottom line. Serious musicians are committed to the Amazing Slow Downer, we rely upon it, we will pay whichever music source we need to in order to continue using this tool. Thank you for reconsidering. -Brian

I’m one of countless musicians worldwide that uses Amazing Slow Downer and Spotify. Cancelled my Apple account when they made the decision to block us from using ASD and switched to Spotify to send my money to. Apple changed their mind but I’ve remained with Spotify simply because Apple originally cut us off. If you (Spotify) stick with this decision I will be cancelling my account with you, returning to Apple, and remain paying them. After talking with many other musicians I believe this will result in many musicians who pay for Spotify canceling their Spotify accounts and switching back to Apple, hurting your long term bottom line. Serious musicians are committed to the Amazing Slow Downer, we rely upon it, we will pay whichever music source we need to in order to continue using this tool. Thank you for reconsidering. -Brian

I teach jazz piano and rely heavily on the ability to borrow songs from Spotify playlist for ASD. I pay a monthly fee to subscribe to Spotify. Spotify needs to explain themselves here. They already pay only pennies to the artists, yet are now denying customers this convenient tool. I will be switching to Apple Music and I will be telling all my students to do the same.

Using the Amazing Slow Downer with Spotify to learn licks is the main reason I have a Spotify account. Without the ability to combine Spotify and the ASD, there's not much reason to keep my Spotify subscription. I hope Spotify will reconsider this unfortunate decision!

I was thrilled to be able to combine Spotify with the Amazing Slow Downer, it's great for learning songs and licks. Without the ability to slow down music for learning purposes, there's not much reason to keep my Spotify subscription. I hope Spotify won't go through with this unfortunate decision!

Strongly agree! I use Spotify with the Amazing Slow Downer for learning songs and licks. Not much reason to keep my Spotify subscription without this ability. I hope Spotify will reconsider!

Spotify, please reconsider this decision. It is the main reason I subscribe to Spotify and will likely cancel if this feature is removed.

I would really hope that this decision would be reconsidered. I work in FE/HE education training dancers and performers for the theatre industry and their app has been invaluable to me using Spotify in the studio but having the capacity to adjust tempos of tracks. Spotify is my chosen platform for streaming and downloading music in my role teaching theatre jazz and tap and I now have to reconsider switching to another music source.

Hopeful that you will see how invaluable this collaboration is to so many creative, lecturers and performers and revert your decision to help us as we inspire and educate! 

I use the ASD app with Spotify every day. I slow the music down to teach my classes for the brain injured because they cannot move very fast, I slow music down to learn my instrument (accordion), and I change keys in order to learn the tunes that others bring to our jams. I have Spotify Premium which allows me to do this. Please reconsider your decision and keep the Spotify/ASD combination. I will be forced to move to another streaming service if this becomes unavailable. 

I use the ASD app with Spotify every day. I slow the music down to teach my classes for the brain injured because they cannot move very fast, I slow music down to learn my instrument (accordion), and I change keys in order to learn the tunes that others bring to our jams. I have Spotify Premium which allows me to do this. Please reconsider your decision and keep the Spotify/ASD combination. I will be forced to move to another streaming service if this becomes unavailable. 

As a music teacher, Amazing Slowdowner is vital to my job. If Spotify discontinues working with ASD, I have no choice but to cease using Spotify and switch to Apple Music. I had considered this since I cannot use Neil Young/Joni Mitchell/etc. through Spotify but I cannot overlook this. It is a shame since I do enjoy Spotify. 

Please reconsider this decision and retain the functionality that enables Amazing Slow Downer. I've been a longtime Spotify subscriber, but without this functionality, I'd need to switch to Apple Music.

I only use Spotify for its integration with Amazing Slow Downer.  If you discontinue this feature, I will have to take my subscription elsewhere.  

Hello. I am a frequent user of the Amazing Slow Downer app. It is a great tool for learning, teaching, and practicing the recorded music on Spotify. This is the main reason I continue to subscribe to the Spotify Service. If Spotify ceases to work with the Amazing Slow Downer app, I could be forced to unsubscribe from Spotify and look elsewhere for my audio streaming needs. I urge the decisionmakers to please reconsider. I would like to see Spotify continue to work with the Amazing Slow Downer app. 

Hello. I am a frequent user of the Amazing Slow Downer app. It is a great tool for learning, teaching, and practicing the recorded music on Spotify. This is the main reason I continue to subscribe to the Spotify Service. If Spotify ceases to work with the Amazing Slow Downer app, I could be forced to unsubscribe from Spotify and look elsewhere for my audio streaming needs. I urge the decisionmakers to please reconsider. I would like to see Spotify continue to work with the Amazing Slow Downer app. 

Suggested posts