Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs

We have been using those SDKs since they became available.

Our particular app (Amazing Slow Downer) lets the user play music more slowly, since a couple of years ago also songs from Spotify. The "ios-streaming-sdk" is a beautifully designed framework that lets an audio developer do practically everything needed.
In our case it makes it possible to access the raw audio samples and this way process the sound and then playback the processed audio using our regular audio playback engine. With your new SDK this is not possible. It might be that the "ios-streaming-sdk" is more difficult to use for an average developer but that also makes it more powerful.

We have many users that uses Spotify. Many users switch from other streaming services such as "Apple Music", Tidal, Amazon Music etc to Spotify just to be able to slow down streaming music in real time.

We believe our app gives Spotify many many new subscribers, so many that it would actually pay off for Spotify to maintain the "ios-streaming-sdk".

We only use "playlist" functions and after fixing a couple of bugs in the "metadata framework" available on github, everything works 100%. Although there are certainly some bugs in the “ios-streaming-sdk”, they are very few and don’t affect our app.

We also have an Android version of our app that uses your Android streaming SDK and it also works very good.

We believe Spotify will loose thousands of users, so many that the minimal cost Spotify need to spend on maintenance will pay off manifold.

Since our app also supports playback and slowing down of streaming Apple Music, many of our users will probably switch from subscribing to Spotify to subscribing to Apple Music.

You write:

"After September 1st, important functionality in the streaming SDKs will stop working."
Exactly what does that mean? What part of the SDK will continue to work?

Please continue supporting iOS/Android streaming SDKs!

Rolf Nilsson
CTO
Roni Music

935 Replies

I will be cancelling Spotify unless you bring back ASD compatibility. 

Huge disappointment for musicians

Please considering continuing support for Amazing Slow Downer. Not only is this the only reason I use spotify but it is also an invaluable resource for jazz musicians the world over. If spotify is serious about supporting musicians, the least they can do is maintain access to this essential resource.

Please, please reconsider and allow this to keep working!  I'm considering canceling my subscription (as are a number of my music students).  The compatibility with Amazing Slow Downer was one of the main reasons I subscribed to Spotify.  Please??

I have maintained a family account on Spotify for many years. My son and I are both musicians. I use the Amazing Slow Downer app frequently. Now that it longer integrates with Spotify, I am taking steps to switch our family to Apple Music or another music platform. Fair warning!

To anyone that has subscribed to Apple Music, does it link up to ASD in a similar way?

I hate to cancel my Spotify account, but I don’t think they are going to concede. I need to use the ASD app!

Dear Spotify developers, please reconsider this decision. I use ASD as part of my workflow to learn to play the piano. I would be willing to pay extra for a Spotify account that would nicely integrate with third party apps. I guess in the mean time I will have to rebuild a local song collection and might lose interest in streaming content.  

I just lost 20 minutes of my piano practice to open an Apple Music account and set my preferences. Does anyone know of tools to help the migration? Such as export and load playlists ? 

I miss slowing down my music. It helped me heal. chromatica never dies. 

Don’t bother with Apple Music, 7 of the main features of ASD do not work using Apple Music, I already tried and canceled my Apple Music.

Hi there,

I've proposed this idea in the Deezer community. I don't really know how this work (post, blogs,...) but in case you support this idea, we could contribute to get a deal between ASD and Deezer.

https://es.deezercommunity.com/ideas/amazing-slow-downer-compatibility-67266

I am so frustrated by this change. I use the AmazingSlowDowner Spotify integration all

the time. Such a great tool for learning my instrument. Now I will need to find another service or simply buy the music. Neither of which will have me using Spotify.

This feels like Spotify is TRYING to lose subscribers. I have a number of people that have been lobbying me to leave and showing me ways of migrating my playlists. Seems like it might be time to make the move before that feature gets cut too.

Hi, thanks for that comment. What are those 7 missing features ? I only tried to loop and finely adjust start and end times which worked, but did not try other features. 

I had to switch to Apple music

I use amazing slow downer almost daily in my music teaching and performance preparations. I have instructed students and colleagues to do the same in switching to Apple Music which does still work with amazing slow downer

I used to download terrible mp3's through torrent softwares and from youtube so I could study music.

Technology evolved and I went back to being a music buyer (I still have my 1000+ cd collection) when I started using Spotify and ASD to study music.

Now the technology has regressed. Why? So what am I supposed to do?

I became a Spotify subscriber in the minute I found out it worked on ASD.

I will probably stop subscribing to the service given the company's arrogance in leaving thousands of subscribers unanswered.

Maybe Spotify doesn't need me and I don't think I will need Spotify anymore.

Please please reconsider the decision to not allow amazing slowdowner to work in conjunction with Spotify. As a professional musician, I used it all of the time to learn repertoire and I  am very frustrated that it is no longer an option. 

Thank you

I subscribe to Spotify primarily to use it with Amazing Slow Downer. When will this be fixed? Should I cancel my subscription until then?

1. After reading some of the post I have to say they are all exactly right. 
  2. I don’t use it every day so I’m just now realizing that it doesn’t work anymore and I am very disappointed. 

i’m sure there are others that don’t have time to reply and I don’t usually but this is very important to me as a learning tool

also recommend it to everyone 

I am sure that you started Spotify based on love for music so don’t take away a tool that everyone uses to make music better 

I am a user of the Amazing Slow Downer app it is fundamental for my work as a musician to slow down the music, I have a Spotify subscription but I am thinking of switching to Apple Music.

Please reconsider keeping Amazing Slow Downer working with Spotify

Suggested posts