Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Being double charged by Apple and Spotify

Solved!

Being double charged by Apple and Spotify

Up until June last year, I was getting charged $14.99 by iTunes for my spotify subscription, which was coming into my bank account like this:

VISA DEBIT PURCHASE CARD xxxx APPLE ITUNES STORE SYDNEY

Then, in June last year, I started to get charged by Spotify for the amount of $11.99 each month, which comes into my bank account like this:

VISA DEBIT PURCHASE CARD xxxx SPOTIFY xxxxxxxxxx SYDNEY

11.99 Is the true amount I should be paying, however the payments from Apple never stopped.I also did not get notified of anything happening to my Spotify subscription in June last year (2017)  when this happened. So since June last year, I have been getting charged 14.99 and 11.99 per month, for just using spotify.Therefore, if 11.99 is the true amount I should be getting charged by Spotify, then Apple took $119.92 out of my account (14.99 x  8 months) unnecessarily.

I have already contacted Apple and they said there is nothing they can do, and for me to contact Spotify. So, what do i do to get the money that was taken from me back?

[Community Moderator edit for sensitive info]

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @paulstras,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Please keep in mind that when switching to subscribe directly through Spotify, you'll need to follow the steps below:

1. Cancel the automatic renewal of your Spotify payment with Apple. 
  2. Wait for your current subscription to expire.
  3. When your Spotify account reverts to free, you can resubscribe direct with us. 

If you haven't done so, then we'd recommend making sure to follow the steps to cancel the automatic renewal of your Spotify payment with Apple to avoid getting further charges. You can find more info regarding this in this support site article

On another note, you can find more info regarding our refund policy here.

Hope this helps clarify things. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

I just recently noticed the same thing with my account...one charge through itunes and another charge through spotify. I noticed this has been going on for about 15 months. I got nowhere with the customer support chat, and I also had no luck through Apple. Did you ever have any luck?

Marked as solution

Hey there @paulstras,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Please keep in mind that when switching to subscribe directly through Spotify, you'll need to follow the steps below:

1. Cancel the automatic renewal of your Spotify payment with Apple. 
  2. Wait for your current subscription to expire.
  3. When your Spotify account reverts to free, you can resubscribe direct with us. 

If you haven't done so, then we'd recommend making sure to follow the steps to cancel the automatic renewal of your Spotify payment with Apple to avoid getting further charges. You can find more info regarding this in this support site article

On another note, you can find more info regarding our refund policy here.

Hope this helps clarify things. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

This has happened to me too! I’m getting nowhere with Spotify agreeing to offer a refund and iTunes are equally unhelpful.
Have you had any success with getting your money back?

The same thing has happened to me too! 
I have been trying to contacting Spotify support multiple times but I keep getting the same response of, we cannot offer you a refund as it is beyond 14 days and please contact iTunes. They seem happy to deceive us and take double payments and refuse to offer a refund. Worst customer service I've ever encountered. Have you had any success with a refund? 

I had the best luck from my credit card company; they ultimately refunded
me for all the duplicate charges. Spotify was the least helpful by far and
I cancelled my account as a result of how poorly they handled it. I’m sorry
you’re dealing with the same issue, and I hope you have more luck than I
did.

Thanks for letting me know. My credit card company has offered a refund for 3 months worth of payments, which is better than nothing. I wonder how many people are in a similar situation?   Spotify must be making a killing $$$$ 

I had the same thing happen to me? What can I do? 

My suggestion would be to contact Spotify via email. If you only have one account and can prove you’ve been making duplicate payments by sending attachments of the bills then they should be able to look into the case and hopefully help you out. I’d also contact your bank and dispute some of the charges. You might be eligible for a refund using this method. Good luck! 

Do I reach out to Spotify for help with this? I just realized I've been double billed for Spotify Premium since November 2021. I never subscribed through Apple but I'm being through Spotify and Apple. 

So im glad i'm not the only one experiencing this!!!! Im getting charged twice every month for $11.09CAD. One for "apple.com/bill" and the other "spotify". i've never subscribed to spotify through my apple account either, I even cancelled all my subscriptions and even went on my old phones to do the same thing (my niece uses them) . I only kept spotify because its the only app I use daily... but i notice I got charged again for an apple bill same price as my spotify monthly payment... I use spotify on my iphone. So does that mean BOTH apple AND spotify are charging me to use the same service? 

Hey @roofimacow,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

In this case, since you mentioned you've being charge twice, you can contact our Customer Support team, so they can help locating the possible 2 accounts.

Nevertheless, keep in mind they'll be able to only cancel the subscription that was set up directly through Spotify. If you want to cancel the other subscription which is presumably directly with Apple, you can follow these steps or reach Apple support, so they can help you with the cancellation. 

We hope you found this helpful. We're always here to help.

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts