Step 1

NEXT STEP

International Transaction Fee Charged on Local Currency via PayPal Subscription

International Transaction Fee Charged on Local Currency via PayPal Subscription

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

I have just changed country (NZ to Australia) and payment method (PayPal linked to Australian CC).

I have for reasons unknown been charged a foreign transaction fee on my subscription amount (AU$11.99 + $0.32 foreign transaction fee). 

My PayPal is setup with an Australian address and is linked to multiple Australian bank accounts and credit cards.  I do not see why an international transaction fee is applied.  My bank account has stated that the transaction is foreign and hence why a fee has been applied.

A search shows that this is not a new issue.  Can this please be rectified and the foreign transaction fee charged refunded.  I realise it is a small amount, but it the principle of the matter.

Kind Regards,

Mark

13 Replies

Hey @markaustin79

Welcome to the Community!

Spotify payments can be considered international transactions and some payment providers might charge an extra fee for that.

You can check the exact price Spotify charges for the subscription here

If you see that you've been charged an extra fee on your bank/PayPal statement, we suggest that you contact your bank/PayPal for more info.

If you have any questions, just let us know!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thanks Eni.

I have spoken with my bank and PayPal.  

In short however, the payment is routed via GB and hence attracts foreign transaction fees.  This is not something that is explained during the signing up process.  I understand that Spotify may be trying to keep their accounting simple at their end by having a centralised location for all payments, however your customers are being slugged fees they did not expect which is leaving a sour taste in their mouth.  Me included.  This is something that needs to be fixed.

Regards,

Mark

Hi there @markaustin79

Thanks for getting back in touch!

We understand where you're coming from. 

We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will make sure to pass it to the right team.

If you have any questions, just let us know 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,
Here in Portugal, we all have the same problem! My bank informed, that GB is out of European Union and because of that, we all are beeing charged since February with this Internacional fee.
The soltution is simple...change the subscription payments to another country within EU. Since this month I ended my subscription, because Spotify support didn´t give a straight answer.
Best regards,

Hi,
Same here.
Since UK left the EU, even though the payment is done with paypal, the banks are charging an additional fee for the payment done outside EU.
Could you please consider using an EU account for the payments done with paypal?

Thanks

I live in the UK with a UK bank account, paying via PayPal. Spotify just tell me it’s a known issue they are working on with no timeframe for a fix and to cancel if so want and set an expiry date on my subscription without being asked to. That’s some customer support! This doesn’t make sense. If it’s Brexit related, either we British suffer, or the rest of the EU does if the payments are processed here. Not both.

I have the same issue in Australia and reading through this thread, I’m considering exiting Spotify Premium as it just doesn’t make sense to be charged extra as a customer fevery month for no reason. 

I have had Spotify for years. I’ve recently got charged for converting the USD amount of $11.45 instead of the normal €9.99 fee which it says on my receipts. So I pay €10.40. I’ve never had a problem only recently.

Hi there, 

I’ve been a premium member for years and always via PayPal than my linked CC. This issue has only started this year and I’m not sure why or what to do about it. Any help/ advice appreciated

Hello,

Since my last contact with Spotify, I have subscribed to the service again.

At the time I was advised to pay Spotify directly using a debit or credit card. In my case, this is a debit. I never had to pay those commissions again.

Hope this helps.

Hi, is there any way to stop the international transaction fees when making payments for this app? I cannot find anywhere that provides advice that when you select any form of payment you will attract an international fee.

You cannot charge people without making them aware of these additional costs.

If someone can please address this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Nadia

Yeah this is incredibly stupid and I'm surprised it's even a "thing" with a company as large and diverse as Spotify.

I'm on family premium and pretty damn **bleep** off about getting charged 64c every time for absolutely no apparent reason other than Spotify can't be arsed looking after it's customers and simply setting payments to come through in the country they are subscribing from.

Get on with it Spotify - or we will vote with our wallets. This is not good enough. YOU should wear any additional transaction costs when you advertise your prices, not us. Simple customer service!!!

I'm living way across ya'll in Pakistan. Do I still have to pay this additional fee? I have a student plan which was actually really cheap, but after the recent transaction they charged me a pretty hefty additional amount (relatively). What's the solution to this is any? 

Suggested posts