Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Payment Method Issue

Payment Method Issue

I've had Premium for awhile, but recently had to get a new debit card. I, unfortunately, waited until last minute to attempt to change the details. My info was correct, however I kept getting an error message at the top. I then cancelled my Premium, and figured I could just start over. But I typed the same information and I got the same error message! I'm still willing to purchase Premium, but I can't exactly do that without payment information. Any help is appreciated.

10 Replies

Hey @A_Username,

have you tried to use an incognito tab, clear the cookies of your browser and use another browser or device?

When this doesn't work, you should try to use another internet connection (e.g. cellular data instead of WiFi).

Have a nice day!

LK608

LukeSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@LK608 I've followed your advice, but the issue still persists. Neither changing the browser nor using a different connection made a difference, unfortunately. I appreciate your help, though, so thank you for replying.

Hey again @A_Username,

then please try following these steps:

1. Cancel your subscription.
  2. Wait for your account to revert to Free. You can check this on your subscription page.
    (You won’t lose any music or account settings by reverting to Free, but you will need to redownload anything you’ve made available for offline listening once you’re back on Premium.)
  3. Resubscribe to Premium with other card details.

Have a nice day!

LK608

LukeSpotify Star

Hi @LK608,

Sorry to be a burden, but it's still not working. Should I attempt to close my whole account and create a new one? Do you think that might work?

Hi @A_Username,

please make sure your card meets all the requirements to purchase Spotify Premium.

Card_Problems_Twitter.png

Also you should take a look at this support site, follow the troubleshooting there, and try a different payment method as a last resource.

Have a nice day!

LK608

LukeSpotify Star

@lk608

The problem isn't our cards, it's that it won't let us add a new card. We know our old cards are inactive...

Hey @lucpdx,

did you follow the steps to have the subscription cancelled? This should turn the account back to Free right away, and you'll be able to resubscribe from scratch without creating a new Spotify account.

Have a nice day!

LK608

LukeSpotify Star

I'm so glad Im not the only person to have exactly this problem. I've also closed the account from which my Spotify premium was charged due to fraudulent activity. But can I change the account details for Spotify to debit my new account ?  Ive talked to 2 advisors on line and tried all of the above to no avail. Cant I just phone someone with the new details ? Ive spent hours on this and its driving me nuts. Meanwhile my premium is now due and I know the payment will be rejected because it will try to debit my old, closed account. I seriously dont know what to do about this any more....

Yeah, I've spent too much time to even want to give Spotify money anymore. Why would a company make it so difficult for their customers to hand them money? If cancelling the account and having to redownload music is the only option - that's just ridiculous. 

Hey @lucpdx and @james_wade,

when you verify that your cards meet the needed requirements, but you're still unable to update your payment details, it's better to cancel the renewal of your subscription.

If you do it, the Premium service will stay active until the end of the current month of service. You'll be able to manually resubscribe one or two days before the month of service ends or after the account goes back to the Free service using the new payment method.

Have a nice day!

LK608

LukeSpotify Star

Suggested posts