NEXT STEP

Tax added for state I do not live in

Tax added for state I do not live in

Plan

Premium

Country

USA, Washington DC 

My Question or Issue

I received the below email from no-reply@spotify.com stating they are applying a ~$1 Iowa tax to my premium account. I don't live in Iowa and my account has no billing ties to that state. I live in Washington DC. Is this a mistake? Don't want my rate to go up needlessly.

Thanks

Message copy:

Hi,

We’re getting in touch to let you know about a change to your Spotify subscription.

Starting February 1st, 2019, we are required to apply Iowa Sales Tax to your monthly Spotify subscription payments. You don't need to do anything to accept the new price, the change will happen automatically.

Your Spotify subscription payment will be increased by no more than $1.05 per month depending on your current ZIP based sales tax and Spotify subscription plan.

You can manage your subscription and payment details from your account page.

If you’d like more information, please see our FAQ

Thank you for being a Spotify subscriber!

The Spotify team 

6 Replies

I got a similar incorrect email. I live in Arkansas (which my billing info reflects) and I am now being charged sales tax for Washington, DC....

Me, too - live in . . .not Iowa, but got notice for Iowa sales tax. Please help!

Hi there,

That email is intended for people with payment methods based in Iowa or D.C. 

If this is not the case, then you can disregard the email as it might've been sent wrongfully to your email address. 

Please, let me know if you need further assistance.

Hope this helps! 🙂

That's helpful, thanks. 

I don't live in DC, either - how do I get Spotify's attention to correct that?

-sb

Hey @sbridgewater you can update your payment card and make sure that you provide your current ZIP code during that process.

The steps on updating the payment details are here. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

Hi guys, an avid Spotify user here! I used the free version for a long time, and I finally decided to upgrade to Premium a couple of weeks ago. As a big fan of rock music and an amateur musician myself, that was the best decision I've made in a long time, and I love it! I was wondering about its price aspect. Do they often increase the subscription payment due to taxes? I'm relatively young, so my tax education is still poor. I've only recently learned how to create paystubs, so there is still a long way to go. Anyway, cheers! I'm looking forward to seeing your responses.

Suggested posts