Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Allow blocking awful music Spotify insists replaying the same tracks of

Solved!

Allow blocking awful music Spotify insists replaying the same tracks of

I spent ages on the iOS blocking Rick Astley (and other artists that I hate) when I am not working using a feature called 'Do not play (terrible) artist'.

The bug is that when I sit down to listen to music on my home system on my Mac Pro - that it completely ignores my preferences - and seems to play Rick Astley every few hours.

I don't quite understand the complexity involved here?  Is seems like a company that is dedicated to play music preference ... would have this as of their critical features?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @AntonyNewman, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Currently the option to block an artist from being played can only be enabled on phone or tablet. In order to do so, just follow these steps:

1. Head to the “Artist” page of the performer you no longer wish to listen to.
  2. Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.
  3. Tap the “Don't play this artist” option from the dropdown menu.

Afterwards, songs by this artist will no longer be playable on your device and any tracks by the artist included in a playlist will automatically be skipped.

Keep in mind that this setting is not carried over on other devices and is not available on desktop devices. 

If this is something you’d like to see change in the future, check out this idea about making the Don't Play this feature to function account wide across playlists and devices.

I hope this clears things up!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @AntonyNewman,

Thanks for your post!

We've passed your feedback on to the right team at Spotify and we understand your frustration with your current experience with the app.

Improvements are done on a regular basis through updates and the best way to communicate what can be improved from a real user standpoint is through the Idea process.

Thank you for your time 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @AntonyNewman, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Currently the option to block an artist from being played can only be enabled on phone or tablet. In order to do so, just follow these steps:

1. Head to the “Artist” page of the performer you no longer wish to listen to.
  2. Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.
  3. Tap the “Don't play this artist” option from the dropdown menu.

Afterwards, songs by this artist will no longer be playable on your device and any tracks by the artist included in a playlist will automatically be skipped.

Keep in mind that this setting is not carried over on other devices and is not available on desktop devices. 

If this is something you’d like to see change in the future, check out this idea about making the Don't Play this feature to function account wide across playlists and devices.

I hope this clears things up!

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Billy-J - Thankyou for the link to the hundreds of other people that have been I infuriated with that Spotify forces them to listen to tracks on non-mobile devices.   From the thread it looks like Spotify’s view is that it would take too much effort (or it is too complicated to code) for this (in my view Critical) feature to be allowed to work on the non-mobile version of the App.

Marked as solution

Hey @AntonyNewman,

Thanks for your post!

We've passed your feedback on to the right team at Spotify and we understand your frustration with your current experience with the app.

Improvements are done on a regular basis through updates and the best way to communicate what can be improved from a real user standpoint is through the Idea process.

Thank you for your time 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts