Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Autoplay switches to different playlist when started.

Autoplay switches to different playlist when started.

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Galaxy S23

Operating System

Android 13

Spotify Version

My Question or Issue

When Spotify Auto-play engages after a couple hours of the app not being used, it will start a different playlist than the one that was shown in the "Now Playing" bar upon opening the app. I've attempted to clear the cache, but the issue persists, and it only happens once a day, so the "guess and check" method of changing settings doesn't work either.

12 Replies

Hey @Dantpool

Thanks for reaching out.

Please note that once the Autoplay feature kicks in once a playlist is over, you should see Playing recommended songs for you at the top of the Now playing view where the playlist name is usually shown.

If the playback switches to a different playlist from your library, please send us a video or a few screenshots showing how things look on your end and let us know where you've started the playlist from (Your Library view, Home page etc.)

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Can't get predict when it will happen, so screenshots and video aren't likely.  But let me detail exactly what happens.   I'll be binging through a podcast, pause it and let my phone sit, unused.  I'll go to start listening to the podcast in my car on my way to work.  I'll open the app.  It will show the episode I was listening to as "now playing".  The Now Playing bar in the app will then disappear, and then reappear as auto play starts, but it will be a custom playlist I have saved instead of the podcast episode.

Hey @Dantpool,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

We'd like to gather some additional info. Would you mind giving us more details about how you listen to music/podcasts in your car? Do you connect your mobile device via Bluetooth or do you use an AUX or USB cable?

On another note, do you notice if this happens only when you try to continue to listen to music on your car/different device or does it happen when you leave the app unused for hours and then try to listen from where you left off? Did you notice if this started to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? If yes, please send us the details.

Lastly, we understand it might be difficult to get a video recording of this behavior, but since you mentioned this happens when you start listening in your car, would you mind trying to send us a video recording of that behavior? You can attach the video in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload it to YouTube or Google Drive and make it public, so we can watch it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

I think I got it figured out.  Noticed just now when it did it that there was a check mark on the Now Playing panel. Apparently at some point, my custom playlist & liked songs list were checked on some interface I haven't seen/used before.  Not sure if unchecking them will solve the issue, will update again in a day or so when I know if this corrected the unwanted behavior.

Hi @Dantpool,

Thanks for the reply. If you're referring to the checkmark on the right hand side of the Now Playing view, then this is simply related to the plus symbol. If the checkmark is there, it means the song in question has been added to one of your playlists and/or Liked Songs. It shouldn't have anything to do with the discussed behaviour. Could you please provide us the details requested by @AlejaR so that we can research further?

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator

So, it turns out it's auto playing my Liked Songs, so I thought to just unlike everything, but now it just doesn't auto play anything.

This only happens when I open the app while connected to my car Bluetooth, no other connection does this, and no other app has this issue.

I'm unsure if this happened after an app/OS update, because I don't pay attention to those.

Hey @Dantpool,

Thank you for the additional details!
Albeit it being only a possible workaround for now, there's something we can try here I think 🙂
It looks like you're using an Android phone. If you're also using Android Auto to connect to your vehicle, there's a way to disable automatic playing overall.
This should in turn hopefully prevent the automatic playlist change, so I'd give it a shot.

To change the Android Auto settings, you can follow the proposed solutions from this thread.
In case anything isn't clear, we're here to help!

VasilModerator

Followed that suggestion, unfortunately, the issue persists.

Hey @Dantpool,

Songs playing automatically when connected to Bluetooth is an issue that's currently being investigated here. Can you please post your device model, OS version and Spotify version there so the info can be forwarded to our tech team?

Thanks!

MihailYModerator

Sure, however that seems to be in regards to Car Thing, which I don't have one set up.

Any development towards a resolution for this matter? As good a song as "God made a bar" might be, I do tire of opening Spotify and have it put front and center rather than the song/podcast left off with.

Pixel 5

Android version 14

Up to date Spotify

Started occuring approximately at the start of October 

Defaults to Liked Songs playlist every time it pairs to Bluetooth in my car

does not resume last list it was playing 

how to get it to resume where it left off?

Suggested posts