Premium

Country

DE

Device

Desktop PC, Spotify für Windows 1.1.87.612.gf8d110e2

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Since a few days. I've not been able to play music from artists in my library I'm following anymore. Pressing play for any song doesn't do anything unless the song is in one of my playlists or mixes.

I'm only able to play their songs if I add them to a playlist or favourite them first. 

Not being able to choose an artist any play their songs anymore is really annoying.

For some reason, this is only an issue on my PC. On my phone, it works just fine.

7 Replies

Hi there @Luhai,

Thank you for taking the time to post here in the Community. This seems odd so let's take a closer look into this together.

To start with, can you make sure there's no corrupt cache files by following the steps in this article?

If the issue persists we recommend that you remove your hosts file:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click > Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File > Open, and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose All Files instead of Text Documents next to the File Name box
    You'll see a handful of files, pick hosts and click Open.
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address:
    Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it works after so that we can continue to help you if you need us to 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

thanks for the quick response. I've check the hosts file, it doesn't contain any server addresses.

I also tried uninstalling, deleting cache and reinstalling Spotify. Unfortunately,  this didn't help either.

Songs must be part of a playlist, mix or radio before I can play them. Adding a whole album to my library works too (contrary to adding artists), but that's not a real solution.

Hey there @Luhai

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you check your firewall and make sure Spotify is set as an exception? Also, we suggest that you disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software, and turn off VPN if in use.

If this doesn't do the trick either, would you mind logging out and then logging back in to your account twice in a row? This will trigger a sync between your account and your PC. 

Lastly, it's worth trying with a different internet connection to check if that makes the difference.

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi,

unfortunately, none of the suggestions helped. Repeatedly logging out and back in again didn't seem to work either. I assume synchronising my account should also update my local library (which was empty after a fresh reinstall), but it wasn't updated in my local app.

I assume the issue with the spotify app must be caused by some data privacy-related system setting.

At least the web player on my PC works fine, so I'll just use this one instead for now.

Hey @Luhai,

Thanks for the reply.

At this point, id order for us to troubleshoot further, we'd need a screen recording of what exactly you're experiencing on the desktop app. We can then maybe find a probable cause. Do you mind recording your observations and sending a video over? You can also post it on YouTube and link it here.

Also describe what we're going to be looking at.

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi,

the problem just kind of solved itself. I upgraded to Win 11 this morning and now the local Spotify app works flawlessly again. I can listen to random artists and songs without having to add them to a playlist first.

The account/app synch worked, too since I can also see my full library again.

Hey @Luhai,

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know.

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help. 

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts