Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Collaborative Playlists and Unwanted Songs

Solved!

Collaborative Playlists and Unwanted Songs

Let me start by apologizing for this issue has been addressed before, the thing is whatever answers I find are never a solution to this.

I have a collaborative playlist that I started with someone else, we've had it for a while with no problem but one day some stranger unrelated to either of us decided it was a great idea to spam unwanted songs on it. We never shared our profiles let alone our playlists with anyone else so I'm not sure how they got access to the playlist but that's besides the point.

We can't make it collaborative AND private for some reason, and we don't want a playlist where only one person can edit, I wouldn't be writing this if we were content with that "solution", blocking doesn't exist and reporting for this type of abuse doesn't seem to be an option (unless I misunderstood the report options available, if that's the case then please let me know). So what solution then is there available to us right now to avoid this happening again?

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello @thelunaticdoc

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

When a collaborative playlist is added on any profile, other users can access and edit it. 

Keep in mind that if other users follow this playlist or have a link, they still will be able to edit it, even if the playlist is no longer displayed on any profile. 

If you want to make sure that the unwanted user don't engage with your collaborative playlist in the future, you could create a new collaborative playlist that's not displayed on any profile and move all the tracks to it. 

The easiest way to do it is in your desktop app, you can follow the steps below:

1. Open the playlist you'd like to copy
  2. Select all tracks contained in the playlist - you can do this using ctrl + a (on Windows) or cmd + a (on Mac)
  3. Right click on the selected tracks
  4. Select Add to Playlist > New Playlist

Then you can share the link to the new playlist with your friends again.

You might also be interested in adding your +VOTE to this Idea. The more votes the Idea gets, the bigger the possibility that it will be revieved again by Spotify Staff and eventually implemented. 

More details on how your feedback reaches Spotify can be found here

I hope you'll find this helpful! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hello @thelunaticdoc

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

When a collaborative playlist is added on any profile, other users can access and edit it. 

Keep in mind that if other users follow this playlist or have a link, they still will be able to edit it, even if the playlist is no longer displayed on any profile. 

If you want to make sure that the unwanted user don't engage with your collaborative playlist in the future, you could create a new collaborative playlist that's not displayed on any profile and move all the tracks to it. 

The easiest way to do it is in your desktop app, you can follow the steps below:

1. Open the playlist you'd like to copy
  2. Select all tracks contained in the playlist - you can do this using ctrl + a (on Windows) or cmd + a (on Mac)
  3. Right click on the selected tracks
  4. Select Add to Playlist > New Playlist

Then you can share the link to the new playlist with your friends again.

You might also be interested in adding your +VOTE to this Idea. The more votes the Idea gets, the bigger the possibility that it will be revieved again by Spotify Staff and eventually implemented. 

More details on how your feedback reaches Spotify can be found here

I hope you'll find this helpful! 

Thank you for the quick reply!

I was able to create a collaborative playlist that can only be accessed via link as you said, though what I did was disable on the Settings the option "Make my new playlists public" and created a new playlist afterwards, which is basically the same as you said. Thank you and I have supported as you suggested the idea but despite the attention it has gotten it's status seems to be as "Not Right Now" so it doesn't look like it'll be a feature to look forward to anytime in the near future, which is a shame...

Thanks again!

No problem @thelunaticdoc and thank ypu for marking my answer as solution! 

If it comes to the Not Right Now status, it means that it's not something that Spotify plans to implement right now, but that might always change! 

I personally would love to see that feature implemeted, because I've had a similar issue with someone editing my collabotariove playlist. 

Hopefully we will see it roll out eventually, fingers crossed! 

If you have any questions in the future, don't hesitate to post again! 

Suggested posts