Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 12 Pro Max, Dell XPS 15)

Operating System

(iOS 15, Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

For the past two weeks, I have noticed that my Daily Mixes have essentially stopped updating. My listening preferences are usually Movie Soundtracks, 80s-90s music, Christian/Worship. I have not stopped any of my normal listening patterns when this began nor during I encountered this. The lists will be about 90/10 (90% same tracks with 10% of newer tracks thrown in). The tracks rarely change order as well. I also noticed that the lists would previously "shuffle" between my music preferences: if I listen to more movie soundtracks for the week, I would sometimes have 1-3 of my daily mixes show movie soundtracks. This is simply not the case any more. 

I have looked through previous threads and followed the recommendations I saw there: clearing the cache when listening on iPhone, not listening to a Daily Mix as my "last list" played with an eight-hour gap and none have worked so far.

Any thoughts on what I can do to correct this? I have previously liked the way the Daily Mixes would shuffle. 

Top Answer
Yordan

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the inputs so far.

It's important to note that near 75% of the content in your Daily Mixes should already be familiar to you, as their purpose is to focus primarily on the stuff you enjoy, with some occasional additions recommended by the app based on your taste. Discover Weekly and Release Radar are more oriented towards exploring new music.

Daily Mixes should update daily, however, keep in mind that the changes within these playlists may be subtle, such as the order of the playlist shuffling, or a track or two being replaced with another, so it may not be easy to tell at first glance. Something you can try is to download one of your Daily Mixes for offline listening, then set the app to Offline mode. On the next day, turn off Offline mode to see if the playlist would refresh.

You can also check out the Picked just for You playlists if you're looking for new recommendations on Spotify. You can access them by typing picked for you in the Search bar and filtering out the results so that only Playlists would appear.

Hope this clears things up. Take care.

70 Replies

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

In order for us to be able to relay this issue to our tech team, we'd need more information on your device setup. Could you share the following:

- Device model and OS version
 - current Spotify version
 - Troubleshooting you've done so far

The more details we have, the easier it would be for all of us.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

- Device model and OS version: Macbook Pro laptop OS version 11.6.7
 - current Spotify version: Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.1.91.824.g07f1e963

- Troubleshooting you've done so far: EVERYTHING. I I have completely logged out of all my devices and cleared the cache on each one. I am only logged in to my Macbook Pro laptop currently.

This is super annoying. This is the second time this has happened to me. 

Seems like my "Daily mix" playlists have not been updated for a weeks or months. 

Hi Dian - any update on this? It seems to be a constant issue.

Hey folks!

While we're taking a look at this, we'd like to ask you whether you've actively been interacting with the Daily Mixes (like/dislike) and if you've been continuously adding stuff to Your Library, as the recommendations are based on both your saved music collection as well as your listening habits.
Keep us posted 🙂
Thanks!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

What I have been doing recently, which might stand out from my normal
usage, is that I have been revoking likes (unlike) on songs on my "liked
songs" list. Cleaning up that list from could of years ago when I liked
entire albums.

Could this be connected?

I have been liking songs on the Daily Mixes (those new recommended songs that do appear). I also regularly add music to my library. The issue is still persisting. 

Yes - adding music - different genres and new artists. Liking different songs. Nothing seems to have shifted in what I had been doing, other than the daily mixes just stopped updating.

I'm having the same issue... Daily Mixes haven't changed in weeks, if not months. I'm using a desktop Mac running Monterey and an iPhone running iOS 15.6... Have tried closing apps, clearing cache, changing up my listening habits etc.

Is this really something implemented on the client side? I would have
guessed this is on the backend.

Hi folks!

In order to forward this to our internal teams, we need to gather enough examples, so please share the details @Dian requested above if you haven't already, as they're necessary for the process.

As soon as we have enough examples we'll pass them on to the right folks so they can investigate further.

Thanks and cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Thank you Yordan. In the meantime, I am not even considering premium services because I am stuck with the same music I have been offered since I signed up for the free account five months ago. 

As stated in the post, I've been using the same account for ages, and while I kept adding a lot of stuff throughout the first few months of having the account, things would regularly change.

I've not seen a Daily Mix change in nearly four months exactly, could be even longer.
There is never a change, and I wouldn't know who to reach out to to fix it.

However, my library is rather diverse, be it anywhere from Country, Hardcore, Female Pop, Pop Punk, and even 80s Metal.
I've seen several artists get mixed into Daily Mix playlist that they clearly do not or would not belong in.
For the longest while, Daily Mixes were somewhat similar but had enough of a relevant difference in theme to be able to tell them every day.
Now, I see nothing. I can for the most part sadly expect to see the same things on the regular and no change.

I'd like to know if this is closely relate to listening habits or something like that, because I'm not regularly listening to some Midwestern Emo/Pop Punk playlist as Spotify seem to assume.
Some help would be great.

Yordan - any news? This is the second time this has happened to me. I have been a premium member for a couple of years now. This is so frustrating. I deleted the app on everything but one iPad and two computers.

I have done EVERYTHING in terms of troubleshooting - still nothing and no response.

Hi,

I too have the same issue on all devices that have Spotify installed. I began my premium subscription at the beginning of this year on a brand new account, and have been encountering this problem since.

Even though my daily mixes have changed since the beginning of the subscription, changes have been too subtle and rare. My daily mixes look more like monthly mixes, because they do not change for weeks, and even when they do, changes are minimal.

At this moment, my daily mix still looks very much like the first mix generated when I first made my account, but with a few new songs here and there. For example, the playlist right now is identical to the daily mix I had for 3 weeks now... I have done what the first suggestion of this thread said, I listened to new music, subscribed to new artists, cleared my cache, and reinstalled the app, but to no avail. I remember I disliked one song from my daily mix, but for a month it still appeared as the second song in the playlist. 

To me, it looks like the problem is with the recommendation algorithm. It learns what it can about your preferences in the first days of using Spotify, but then it doesn't change at all. If it's reinforced learning, I tried disliking and quickly skipping songs to give the algorithm the "hint", but it does not learn.

For comparison, I still have my Youtube Music account, and every time I click on "My Supermix", the playlist gets updated. Also, the equivalent playlists there to the daily mixes here are always refreshed on a daily basis, and the recommendations are accurate to my music taste.

At the moment it feels like I have a Spotify subscription to share music with friends and a youtube music subscription to actually listen to music. Please fix this issue.

Spotify for macOS (Intel, macOS Monterey Version 12.5.1 21G83)
1.1.92.647.ga4397eb7

Spotify for Andriod (Samsung S10+, Android 12)

Troubleshooting: reinstalled app, cleared cache on both devices, signed out and signed in again, turned devices off and on to fix the issue, listened to new artists and new genres, added new songs to public and private playlists, added more songs to liked playlist, shared new songs, followed new artists and users

Playlists updating is an issue on my end also. For example, 70’s Soul Classics by Spotify  has had the same songs for the past two weeks. 

Hi there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Can you try Logging out everywhere and back in twice in a row in order to force sync your accounts with the servers. 

If that doesn't help, let us know roughly when was the last time you saw these playlists update. Also, do the songs change order at all or do they stay exactly in the same place?

Looking forward to your replied.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex, I logged out twice. Nothing has changed.  The playlist has not updated for at least 2 weeks, nor has the order of the songs. Thanks for looking into this, much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the inputs so far.

It's important to note that near 75% of the content in your Daily Mixes should already be familiar to you, as their purpose is to focus primarily on the stuff you enjoy, with some occasional additions recommended by the app based on your taste. Discover Weekly and Release Radar are more oriented towards exploring new music.

Daily Mixes should update daily, however, keep in mind that the changes within these playlists may be subtle, such as the order of the playlist shuffling, or a track or two being replaced with another, so it may not be easy to tell at first glance. Something you can try is to download one of your Daily Mixes for offline listening, then set the app to Offline mode. On the next day, turn off Offline mode to see if the playlist would refresh.

You can also check out the Picked just for You playlists if you're looking for new recommendations on Spotify. You can access them by typing picked for you in the Search bar and filtering out the results so that only Playlists would appear.

Hope this clears things up. Take care.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Unfortunately, that does not clear it up. I get that some content should
remain the same but in my case, the same songs have been each of the
playlists everyday -- just shuffled to a different order. I get that
"LIked" songs will be inserted and arranged often but not the same songs
for almost 2 months now. I pretty that everyone that typed in this thread
would agree. We all recognize the intent of the lists but we began this
thread because we noticed an issue.

Suggested posts