Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

If I like and download someone else's playlist, will it disappear if the owner delete's it?

Solved!

If I like and download someone else's playlist, will it disappear if the owner delete's it?

Hi community!

Basically, my subject line says it all: Will a downloaded playlist on my device disappear if it is someone else’s and the owner decides to delete it? What if I did not download but “only” liked it, will it disappear from my library? Thanks!

Best regards,

meytho

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Meytho

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

After a playlist gets deleted by the user who created it, it'll remain in the system so it can be recovered by its owner.

Taking this into account, if the playlists is deleted but someone follows it or downloaded it previously, it should be visible for them for a couple of weeks more until the information is removed from the database completely. However, we're unable to provide a specific timeframe for this to happen.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know. 

Cheers!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hey all, no one here being able to answer this quickie? Anybody else interested?
Marked as solution

Hey there @Meytho

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

After a playlist gets deleted by the user who created it, it'll remain in the system so it can be recovered by its owner.

Taking this into account, if the playlists is deleted but someone follows it or downloaded it previously, it should be visible for them for a couple of weeks more until the information is removed from the database completely. However, we're unable to provide a specific timeframe for this to happen.

If you need help with anything else, just let us know. 

Cheers!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thank you!

Hi @Meytho,

You're welcome! If you ever need anything else, we're just a post away.

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

Hi,

I am a bit confused. 

"Taking this into account, if the playlists is deleted but someone follows it or downloaded it previously, it should be visible for them for a couple of weeks more until the information is removed from the database completely. However, we're unable to provide a specific timeframe for this to happen."

From this sentence, I understand that if someone deletes a playlist, eventually the playlist will be unavailable to the users who liked it in the past. 

But in another topic https://community.spotify.com/t5/Accounts/My-deleted-playlist-is-still-showing-up-on-others-Spotify/... , it is stated otherwise.

Which one is true?

Thank you in advance!

Hey @irmik,

Thanks for the post.

What Eni has said is true. Sometimes corrupted cache can cause unavailable playlists to be shown in the app, either for the creator or for a user who has followed the playlist. This is usually fixed in a cople of weeks once the services updates.

If a user deletes a playlist, the list gets removed from the app. They have the option to restore is for a period of time. As Eni has said, the playlist may still be visible to users who follow it for a few weeks, even though it might not be playable.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

is it different if its just privated? 

like someone has the playlist downloaded but the owner has made it private and not for display, will the other person still have access to it if it was downloaded before it went private?

Hi @amandareaza,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

In this case, the person who makes the playlist private will be the only one with access to it, which means that any other users won't be able to see it from their end, even if it was downloaded.

Remember the Community is here for you in case you need anything else.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Is there a way for me to find the playlist or get the playlist back?

Hey @user-removed,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

If the playlist you want to recover was made for you and it was recently deleted, you can recover it by following the steps in this article.

In case the playlists was made by someone else on a different account, that user must follow the process to recover the playlist for you to see it again,

However, if you were following a playlist and it disappeared from the app, it's possible that the playlist was deleted some time ago and couldn't be recovered with this method. In that case, since we don't have access to users' accounts from the Community, we'd recommend to the owner of the playlists getting in touch with our Customer Support directly so they can check the account and help them further if possible.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator

Hi I am currently part of a private playlist and not a collaborator. If that person deletes the playlist will it delete for both of us?

Hi there @wchin124,

Thanks for the question.

If you're following a playlist and the owner deletes it, this will also delete it for you and remove it from your library. If you really like the songs in the playlist, you can copy them over to your personal playlist at any time. The easiest way to do this is on the Desktop app. Just right-click the playlist and select 'Add to other playlist', and that will copy all the songs.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

I had a playlist made by someone else saved but it is grey now and says “this content isn’t available now”. i’m just curious but does this mean that the person who created the playlist deleted it or does it mean that it was privatized?

Hey there @unknownsunny. Welcome to the thread 🙂

The message might mean any of the two things you've mentioned. But either way - the playlist seems to be publicly unavailable at least for the time being. 

Hope this helps! We're here for you should any further questions come to mind.

IvelinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Will the owner be notified if ill listen to her playlist?

Hi there @Gesta,

You do have the option to share your listening activity with your followers if you want to, but you can also temporarily hide it by entering a Private Session. More info here.

In case you meant a push notification or something similar, then no 🙂

Cheers 🤘

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts