Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Introducing Smart Shuffle!

We know that our users love creating their own playlists to capture key moments in time – in fact, playlists created by users often become their most-streamed playlist for the first several months but listening to these playlists slowly fades overtime, and users are eager to discover new music.

With this in mind, we’re excited to launch a new play mode called Smart Shuffle that keeps listening sessions fresh and provides personalized recommendations that perfectly match any listeners’ playlist vibe. 

This update will roll out to Premium users on mobile devices starting today.

How does Smart Shuffle work?

• You can use it in any playlist created by you, and your Liked Songs.
  • To activate it, just use the Shuffle button to switch between regular play, Shuffle mode and Smart Shuffle.
  • When Smart Shuffle is on, recommendations are added to your session automatically. You can find all the recommendations sitting in your queue.
  • You will be able to recognize the music we are recommending with the sparkle () symbol next to the track. For a playlist with more than 15 songs, we’ll recommend one song for every three tracks.
  • And the best part, your original playlist remains untouched, so you can add any new track that catches your ear.
  • If you like a specific recommendation, just save it using the plus button in the Now Playing View. If that song doesn’t hit right, just tap the minus to remove it from the recommendations. This is then used to better adjust the suggestions we put forward.
  • Every time you turn Smart Shuffle off, a new mix will be available every time you activate it again.

Introductory pageIntroductory pageHow the queue will lookHow the queue will look

Joan_3-1678291160655.pngElena_1-1678292065514.png

Adding and removing recommendations.

FAQ

What about the Enhance feature?

For now, Smart Shuffle will replace the Enhance feature.

What will happen to Discover Weekly and other regularly updated playlists?

For the time being, no changes to those will be made. Smart Shuffle aims to improve the listening experience for user curated playlists.

Does this mean that using Smart Shuffle will cause my carefully curated playlists to get cluttered with new recommendations?

No! Your original playlist remains untouched, so you can add any new track that catches your ear. Smart Shuffle won’t change your playlist without your explicit permission. What changes instead is what you'll hear during each specific listening session

We hope you're as excited as we are about this new play mode. The official Newsroom announcement is out, you can check that out too. For any and all feedback on the matter you may have, you're more than welcome to comment in the thread below.

JoanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
1,149 Replies

Why has nothing been done to fix this? I am still getting this prompt and nothing has been done to fix it. It shouldn't take more than a day to include a setting to disable it, this is ridiculous.

This just started for me and it’s **bleep**. At least add the smart shuffle as a new/different button to the regular shuffle. 
Thanks for nothing mods. 

So fed up with Spotify I’ve moved to Apple Music. There’s an app to transfer playlists

This is probably the worst decision Spotify has made in a while, I want to be able to shuffle the songs that I chose, not what’s recommended for me. Now every time I shuffle my playlist I have to manually choose the regular shuffle and I can’t even turn the smart shuffle off. It’s getting old quickly and I’m on the verge of just switching to Apple Music. I don’t want to have to deny adding new songs to my playlist every time I want to shuffle it and I don’t want to PAY to have to do it. 

Why can’t shuffle just be shuffle?

I Hate this new feature, Too many steps to take to just shuffle a playlist. As a paid member I should be able to disable the feature and just stick to regular one tap Shuffle, this seems so redundant and a waste of the users time. 

How is this a solution?   Infuriating feature.

Is there any update on fixing this unfortunate issue?   'Smart' shuffle appears to be the default shuffle.    I keep switching back to a standard shuffle.    Please kill the smart shuffle   It's ruined my Spotify experience.

This absolutely should be an opt-in instead of an opt-out feature. Terrible UX decision for an otherwise perfect music streaming platform.

PLEASE GET RID OF THIS - I just want to listen to my songs this is horrible why are you adding in songs I have deliberately chosen not to add to my playlist stop it stop it stop it its making this app unbearable to use and I am ready to cancel my premium subscription if this goes on much longer it’s making the app worth not a single penny if what I pay for it 

Even when I tell Spotify to shuffle without smart shuffle, it still plays random recommendations not in my playlist. Please flag this to be fixed immediately as I will stop using Spotify very quickly if this continues, it is frustrating beyond belief. 

I remember in June they removed it and now, yet again, it is here.
The nemesis of normal Spotify UX, the infamous sMaRt ShUfFlE.

kristian9107_0-1662637346761.png

GET RID OF THIS ****!!!!

Ahhhh, this is driving me crazy.  I made the “smart shuffle” selection one time to see if I liked it.  I. Do. Not.  And I cannot get it to go away.  I’ve looked everywhere in settings.  Please tell me Spotify has an answer for this!!!

In my opinion the solution is simple really, make two separate individual buttons for Shuffle and Smart Shuffle. That way, those who want to use the new feature can still do so, while the rest can keep using the old shuffle, and none of us have to suffer going through another prompt to make our selection.

Yes, It’s called Apple Music.   Spotify doesn’t appear to care.  ( Not that I have any illusions about Apple  )

Yeah just want to chime in and agree that I hate the implementation of the Smart Shuffle feature. I have no interest in algorithm-driven content and would like an option to disable the annoying pop-up from my account when trying to shuffle. There have been other good ideas in this thread too (a separate button, a third option for the existing button) so that people who like the feature can continue to use it and those who don't aren't bothered by an annoying pop-up. 

Everytime i enable shuffle, a pop up comes up where i can activate smart shuffle. I dont use this feature, and i find this pop up interrupts the user experience. It shouldnt take 2 clicks just to activate "normal" shuffle.
So how do i turn off this pop up?

im having the same issue, i genuinely think that there is no way to turn it off- even after repeatedly seeing that the "recommendations have been removed" theyre still clogging up my playlist. Really terrible feature, wish I had more helpful feedback.

How do I remove this f smart option I only want shuffle my list not random songs

The 'Enhance' feature has been removed from the app and 'Smart Shuffle' has been put in its place. Now recommended songs are not shown in the playlist of songs when smart shuffle is on/active, but will still play. Without seeing the music/tracks in the playlist, I cannot 'add' or 'remove' them with the little plus or minus sign that is usually off to the right side of the song in the playlist

Smart Shuffle is a terrible feature, at least include an option to disable it.

Suggested posts