Local File Pictures

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I noticed that some local files don't have pictures on them even after I added them. One of my files named "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob Dylan Cover)" is one of them. After I changed the file name it showed the picture but if I changed it back, the picture disappeared again. I like my file names how they are and don't want to change them. Can someone please help with this? Also, does anyone know how to link artists/albums in the local files?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It’s caused by the apostrophes in directory or file names. 

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Hi @jacobwalrath!

Welcome to the Community! 

Would you mind letting us know what exactly you're changing in the file's name when it works? Additionally, we suggest that you try copying the local files in a new folder and adding that new folder as a new source to check if that shakes things up. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if you're using iTunes to import your local files? If so, then we think the solution on this thread might be useful.

Currently, it's not possible to link Artists/Albums to your local files. However, if you think that other users might like this option as well, it's well worth adding it to our ideas board here.

Cheers - Let us know how it goes!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

When I changed the file name, I spammed random letters on the keyboard and that worked. If i used any words from the original name however, it didn't work. The original name of the file is Don't Think twice. It's All Right (Bob Dylan Cover) so changing the name to "Don't" or "Twice" didn't work. Yes, I have tried moving the file but I haven't tried iTunes. This has also been going on for a while.

Also, the picture also will not show up on spotify when i trim the mp3 with a different file even after i re-add the picture.

This just happened with another file.

Hi again @jacobwalrath

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

We suggest that you make sure not to use any special characters in the files' name such as parentheses, quotes, commas, etc. Let us know if this does the trick. 

Also - could you give it a try using iTunes and following the steps we sent in our previous message?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

ElenaModerator

Like I said, I tried renaming it to "Think" and "Twice" and it didn't work. I have other files with special characters like e's with accent marks and upside down question marks and they work with pictures. How would i do it in itunes though?

Hey @jacobwalrath

Thanks for your quick reply. No worries, we'll keep helping you.

If you'd like to give it a try with iTunes, just make sure to follow these steps:

1. Add the cover artwork in iTunes first.
  2. Transfer your songs to Spotify through local files.
  3. Download the songs.

After doing that, we suggest that you wait a few minutes and then it should work.

If this doesn't help, sending us some screenshots of what you're seeing on your end would come in handy.

Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator

How would i add cover art from itunes? also i can't download songs as i dont have premium. Here is a picture though. As you can see there is no picture showing up but there is no disc symbol so that definitely means there is something attached to it. 

Screenshot (1).png

Ok, i tried iTunes but it didn't seem to work.

I found yet another song that doesn't work. Here is a list of ones that don't have their pictures show up as far as I found.

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob Dylan Cover)

Livin' For That (Demo)

I'm A Virgin (American Dad)

What's Gucci (Remix Of WHATS POPPIN By Jack Harlow)

Also don't judge me on what I listen to. Lol. I'll update on anything else I find.

Hey @jacobwalrath,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

It's a good idea to try restarting the device and to log out and log back in again. That way any changes can sync up.

Can you try logging in to another account and check if the issue persists? That way we can check if it's an account related issue.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Yes, I tried reinstalling, logging out, and trying a different account. It didn't work.

Hey @jacobwalrath,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

In this case it's a good idea to try re-adding the files in Spotify while being offline. If the issue persists, it could be that there is an issue when Spotify is trying to match the metadata of the file with our data bases. As a workaround we would recommend that you try changing the titles slightly.

We always strive to improve our app and the experience with it and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us.

If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

Tried adding them offline. Same result.

Hey @jacobwalrath,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Thanks for trying to troubleshoot further. We'll make sure to forward the information and your feedback to the right teams.

In the meantime, we hope editing the titles slightly will do the trick.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Marked as solution

It’s caused by the apostrophes in directory or file names. 

I actually think that might be the case with the apostrophes. However, some of my files have apostrophes and still work with pictures. But in the last update, people complained about local files not showing up with special characters, some of mine didn't show up but others did with the exact same characters in them. I think this is the issue, however this has been going on for much longer for me.

Hi there folks,

There should be no special characters in the file names themselves.

Another thing you can try is to reupload those files using a different network, like a mobile Hotspot if your data plan allows it.

1. Delete those files that won't open from the playlists in your app.

2. Connect your pc and your phone (if using one) to the new network or mobile Hotspot.

3. Reupload the local files to the Desktop app.

Sometimes certain router setting may block some songs from uploading properly to the app.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

My local files are working. The discussion is about some pictures not showing up on the files.

Suggested posts