Announcements

Local files from my PC don't work on my mobile device

Local files from my PC don't work on my mobile device

Entorpy

Plan

Premium

Country

Israel

Device

Xiaomi mi 9T/PC

Operating System

Android 11/Windows 10

 

My Question or Issue

I have recently switched from the Microsoft store version of Spotify to the normal version, and I can't get my local files from my PC to sync to my Android device or any other device.

I have, no kidding, tried everything. I deleted Spotify from both devices including cache and data, and reinstalled multiple times, switched back to the Microsoft store version, connected both devices to a different Wi-Fi, put the local files in a new playlist, connected via USB threading and mobile hotspot, I have tried 3 different locations for the local files, made sure every related setting is on, nothing works. This is how it looks:

Entorpy_0-1646394427374.jpeg

One is stored on a folder on the desktop, the other on my D drive. If I don't connect the PC to the phone via mobile hotspot, the little down arrow turns to an exclamation mark. On my PC I can play them just fine, but they won't sync to my phone. Also, I have a laptop, and local files don't work there either, they are just greyed out. Here's an album with all my settings: 

https://imgur.com/a/sMtZREw

Reply
3 Replies

Alex

Hey @Entorpy,

 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

 

Note that Spotify supports only local files obtained from legal sources, and we can't guarantee that other ones will work with the app.

 

What you can try is to delete the Spotify folders which hold cache, as described in this thread. If your local files could sync before you reinstalled Spotify with the version from our website, some corrupted data might be left on your drive.

 

Let me know if this works. 

 

Also, you won't be able to sync local files from on PC to another and you won't be able to have local files from 2 PCs sync to your phone.

 

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

 

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Entorpy

I have deleted the cache on my PC before, of course, and it didn't help. To be honest, I found a partial solution: recently, Spotify enable support for local files on mobile. I just copied the local files from my PC to my phone, and it recognized 90% of the songs and made them available. The other 10%, well, I just added them separately, and now I have unplayable songs on both devices. Honestly,  solving this was such a major headache that I prefer not to touch it further. Spotify needs to get**bleep** together, this is absolutely ridiculous. 

Elena

Hey there @Entorpy,

 

Thanks for keeping us posted.

 

Kudos for finding such a creative workaround!
That's some great work.


If you or anyone else keeps experiencing an issue with this, and has tried all the troubleshooting you've listed above, we recommend reaching out to the support.

They can reset the cached data on Spotify's end, which could be responsible for such disturbances in the app functionality if all else is in place.

 

We're here for you if you have any other questions in the meantime 🙂

Take care.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts

Env: prod