Make a Copy / Duplicate of someone else's Playlist

Plan

Premium

Country
USA

Operating System

Mac, Windows, Android

My Question or Issue

Is there a way to make a copy / duplicate someone's playlist?
I had a premium Spotify account through work.  However, I no longer work for that company.  I would like to copy / duplicate my old playlists so that I can add and remove tracks from them.  Is there any way to do this?
All of the suggestions that I have encountered are years old and do not seem to work. 

6 Replies

Hi bmurf,

Thanks for posting in the Spotify Community!

If the playlists from your old account are public, it is fairly easy to copy them to playlists in your new account.

To do this from your new account on the desktop app, navigate to your old Spotify profile by searching for your old Spotify account username. Select the playlist under your old profile that you wish to duplicate, press [command + a] (on a Mac) or [control + a] (on a PC) to select all the songs (or use Edit -> "Select All" from the top left menu); and then right-click and select “Add to Playlist” -> “New Playlist”. This new playlist that you just created will have all the same tracks as the playlist from your old Spotify profile. You can repeat this process for all the public playlists that you wish to copy to your new account.

You can also read about copying playlists between accounts here.

Bear in mind that the followers from the playlists in your old Spotify account will not transfer to the copies in your new Spotify account.

Let us know if this works for you, as well as if you have any other questions.

Have a good day!

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for the replay but that does not work. I tried on Mac and Windows in both the web player and desktop applications.

I was able to do what you suggested by downloading an old version of the Windows app from 2017.

I'm here to add a reply that this feature does not seem doable on either the Android app, or the Windows browser.  You can add a playlist to your Library, but you can't rename it, add songs, remove songs, or any of the other things one would do with your own playlist.

Hey @thekohser,

Thanks for keeping us posted on this!

While selecting multiple tracks in a playlist is currently limited to the desktop app only, you should still be able to edit your playlist's name and content both in the mobile app and on the web player. You cannot, however, edit someone else's playlist, unless it's a collaborative playlist and the owner has shared it with you. (Keep also in mind that you cannot rename a collaborative playlist, but you can edit the playlist's content.)

So, if you want to create your own version of an already existing playlist, made by another user, with a few tweaks here and there, it's best you use the desktop app and follow the steps posted by @AdamDam.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with.

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I’m an artist. I created a playlist around my style and preferences and came here to find out how someone was able to copy my playlist (same exact order and title) and use it to promote another artist. I get people like what I do, but when they go copying it for their own gain…Not cool. It took  time and effort and passion. Wish there was a way to regulate this or prevent this from happening. If they like it, they should just be able to add it to their profile or something…Not just copy it completely. This somehow feels like an intellectual property issue. Hope it gets fixed. 

Suggested posts