Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mark playlist for offline sync?

Mark playlist for offline sync?

Plan

Premium

Operating System

iOS 14

My Question or Issue

I have some local files that I have on my laptop and I managed to get them in the playlist I want. However, I cannot play these songs on my iPhone despite having the playlist downloaded on both devices. My Spotify app says to "Mark the playlist containing this song for Offline Sync" but I cannot find this option anywhere. I have googled this issue a lot but nothing is working and there are no updated solutions that I can find.

51 Replies

I'm having the same issue. I've done every step properly (having the same wifi network) but this garbage isn't working. It's so frustrating especially when it works for everyone else but not us

Hey @jkelly37 and @avins0114,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!    

We hope you don’t mind us replying now as we just stumbled upon this thread. If you're still experiencing difficulties with your local files, make sure to go into the setting on your iPhone devices, scroll down to local files and enable desktop sync. Afterwards you should be able to download your songs using the steps in this guide.

If that doesn't do the trick, it's a good idea to delete the playlists with local files and start the whole process from scratch. If the problem persists, we'd appreciate a couple of screenshots of how the playlists appear on your desktop and smartphone. just make sure to hide any private or sensitive info.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

brooooo thank you for this. I've been searching forever because I got stuck on this step and that one thing fixed it. Thank you so much

Hey @tjacob02,

Thanks for posting here in the Community 🙂

Glad to hear it worked out and everything is running smoothly again.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Stay safe!

Ver Moderator

I'm having the same problem. The song is showing up on my laptop but not on my phone. 😞

Hey @EmyJ,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

It's a good idea to give the steps @Mihail mentioned a go.

In case nothing changes, we'd suggest you also try with another network. 

If you get an error message, you can send us a screenshot of it. We'll look into this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply! I ended up deleting Spotify on my iPhone and re-downloading it. It’s all good now! 

Hi @EmyJ

Thanks for getting back to us. 

We're glad to hear that everything is now working as it should. 

If anything else comes up, you know where to find us. 

Have a good one 🙂

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Spoiler

Why does my spotify always says no devices available for syncing? I am on the same wifi as my desktop but the only options I see are download not sync and even clicking download doesn’t transfer the local files over. Very frustrating:/

E3B0DF1A-E153-4628-B867-E99CD6441C12.png

Hey @Tic01,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

This is what the menu displays before you've downloaded your local files on the phone itself. 

To load up the local files from your computer to your iPhone do the following:

1. Make sure the computer and the phone are on the same WiFi
  2. Make sure that Phone Settings > Apps > Spotify > Local network is switched ON.
  3. Open both apps.
  4. On the computer - Select a local files source, add the songs to a playlist and click on the Download button.
  5. On the phone - you should see the playlist that you just created in Your Library. Open it and click the little download arrow.

Now the playlist should be synced up. If this doesn't work, try connecting both your computer and phone to another network like a mobile hotspot and repeat the steps.

Keep us posted if you have any questions.

AlexModerator

I've downloaded the playlist on both my iphone and desktop but these local files still aren't showing up on my phone 😞

Hey there @sandu_xoxo

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Could you let us know if you've already tried the steps @Mihail and @Alex suggested?

If after trying those steps the issue persists, we suggest that you take a look at this article for more info. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I did the above solutions as well as read the article linked. I also deleted the app and reinstalled but the songs are still showing as greyed out and not synced.

Well it had fixed itself for all of 45mins then went back to being greyed out and unplayable

Hi there @bbabb13,

Thank you for you post in this thread. 

Can you confirm if you followed these steps correctly?

Another useful step in is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

It’s been three weeks since I posted my initial comment. I’ve followed all the steps and it still doesn’t work. Times like this make me wonder why I pay for premium lol 

A partial refund would be nice if I can’t even use all the features that supposedly comes with premium. This is insanity.

Hey @Tic01

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to make sure, have you tried reinstalling the app on your devices following these specific steps?

On another note, we suggest that you check the following info on your devices:

• There’s enough free space on your devices' memory (we recommend at least 1GB)
  • You have the latest version of the Spotify app installed (on all devices)
  • Your devices' firmware is up-to-date
  • You can only download music and podcasts to a maximum of 5 separate devices for a maximum of 10,000 songs per device
  • Spotify is set as an exception in any firewall or internet security program
  • Spotify is set as an exception for any cache clearing or app optimization apps on your devices

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

You have to go to your phone settings, not spotify settings, and scroll down to spotify and enable local networks. I spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out but that little button worked for me.

I have redownloaded Spotify on both devices, and before I redownloaded Spotify on my phone the songs from local files showed up on my phone but were greyed out and now they don't show up at all. Both my devices are on the same network and I have local networks on for Spotify on my phone. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Suggested posts