Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New User - I did try to search for answer but...

New User - I did try to search for answer but...

Plan 

Free/Premium - Thinking of going Premium

Country USA

Device iOS & OS X

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I have a fairly extensive personal library (bootleg live recordings etc...) how am I able to "add" these to my Spotify account? And will these files be readily available regardless where I am in the country/world?

1 Reply

Hi kevinFL621,

You can add music to your Spotify account from your personal library by clicking on the “Menu” button next to your profile name on the desktop app, clicking “Settings,” and then clicking “Show Local Files” under “Local Files.” Then click on “Add a Source” and select the folder containing the music files are that you want to be added to your Spotify account. You can read more about adding local files here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-do-you-add-Local-Files-to-the-Desktop-app/ta-p/...

Supported file types for local files in Spotify include .mp3, .m4p (unless it contains video), and .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer).

Yes, if you download your local files to your desktop app (you can do this by creating a new playlist, adding your local files to it, and downloading the playlist), then these files will be readily available regardless of where you are in the world, as long as you have internet connection or cell phone service (and if you get Premium and download your local files playlist, you can listen to these tracks offline as well).

You can also sync your local files to your mobile device(s), if your desktop app and mobile app are both open and are connected to the same Wi-Fi. The playlist containing your local files that you created on your desktop app should then appear on your mobile app, and then you can download the playlist on your mobile app as well. (If this doesn’t work, you can try setting up a mobile hotspot from your mobile device and connecting your desktop app to it).

AdamDamSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts