Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Personal stats for years before 2016 - Top songs or artists for 2012 or 2013?

Personal stats for years before 2016 - Top songs or artists for 2012 or 2013?

Hey!

I was wondering if any of you knew about a way to see stats for years before 2016. I've been using Spotify since mid 2010 ish but I've only had my own account since late 2011 early 2012.  Still, I'd love to see some stats for those individual years because I know my taste in music has changed a lot, and I think a big reason for that is what kind of content is on Spotify and what content people working at Spotify choose to show us.

(TL;DR:  QUESTION ABOUT PERSONAL STATS PRE-2016. e.g are my top songs 2011 available to listen to? or did Spotify not make comprehensive stats back then? QUESTIONING WHETHER STATS ARE ACCURATE for those of us who've been here for 8+ years. My list of all time favorite artists and songs seems painfully inaccurate.)

I listened to about 50% old music and 50% current music. now I rarely listen to old music because its harder to find it and its the same 50 songs that show up. Some old songs are also mislabeled by Spotify so when I go searching for 60s songs or 90s songs they're labeled as being from 2003 or 2009 because that's when they where remastered. 

I would love to go down memory lane and see how my taste in music was different, but maybe Spotify didn't have as comprehensive stats as they do now??? Does anyone know? Many of the songs I listened to in 2014 were also bought. 

I can see that ElisaHi asked to bring back stats way back in 2016 and Spotify did: [Music] Bring Back "Year in Music" on Demand https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Music-Bring-Back-quot-Year-in-Music-quot-on-Deman... 

but I did not get a mail in 2014 about my year in music and these stats are no longer available for people to see.

But those of us who have been using Spotify for way longer have no way of seeing what our stats are. A good example is Spotify telling me for these last three Years that my favorite all time artist is Taylor Swift, and she is definitely one of my favorite artists but if it were according to my stats since the beginning she shouldn't have been because she pulled all her music from Spotify for so many years and I just listened to my CD's and iTunes singles instead. She was gone for 4 years and I've been on Spotify for 10ish years... This stat just seems plain wrong to me! I listen to so many other artists and when I break down the numbers I spend more hours listening to other artists than her. 
So I guess this drawn out question is actually two questions:

1. why aren't stats for years before 2016 available if you've been a Spotify user for a long time? And can it ever be made available?

2. Are the stats we see every year actually correct for those of us who've been Spotify users for 8+ years - or is our listening history pre-2016 just not taken into account when finding out what we like?

Does anyone have any answers or input?
(EDIT: I've added a summary - hope it helps!)

2 Replies

Hi there @Yandis9-,

Thank you for reaching out about this in the Community!

It's always fun to look back in time, to see what you were listening to years ago. 

Currently it's not possible to see Top charts for songs/ artists that you've listened to before 2018 when Wrapped started. Your Year in Music might be available for some of the years preceding that, if the algorithm was able to accumulate enough data to create the mix, but there is no way to access those if you don't see them in your Library.

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi! Sorry for the late response- I forgot I had my own account here…

I’ve got lists for 2016 and 2017! - they tested out what would become Wrapped in some countries and my country is one of them since we got Spotify early in 2010 or 2011. I definitely think other people would be interested in this idea, but I don’t know if it’s possible!!! I know at the end of 2019 Spotify made those playlists to celebrate the end of a decade-“ the party songs” “songs we cried to” and so on… many of the people around me felt like those lists were irrelevant to them - so did I! I don’t remember when Spotify totally changed its whole setup and design maybe 2013/-14?? Anyway, before that there weren’t many public playlists from Spotify/other huge companies or National charts showing us what’s trending in other countries, so people listened more to their own music,  less influenced by other people’s tastes in music! I think most people like the current setup, but it’s also nice to look back and find songs that were forgotten!!!

for this to be an idea I need to know how to phrase it… If Spotify has enough data for those early years I don’t see why it can’t be done- or at least done by a third party like statsForSpotify or Obscurify?

what do you think?

thanks in advance!

Suggested posts