Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

SPOTIFY HAS A BIG PROBELM WITH THEIR SHUFFLE

SPOTIFY HAS A BIG PROBELM WITH THEIR SHUFFLE

I have already talked about my gripes with Spotify shuffle, and I have offered my suggestion on how to fix it (please check out that post: Shuffling Like Cards and "Shuffle Memory"). This post is less about offering ideas and more about supporting everyone's claim that Spotify's shuffle needs serious improvement. 

The following link is to a Google doc where I list the songs that appear while listening to my liked songs playlist (744 songs currently) and take note of how many repeats there are. This list will update from time to time, I usually wait until I have nothing better to do.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BEJ1aLREfWAO7QULwSI1MrBvtZksCiEdzm-Fg0oELOI/edit?usp=sharing

Songs I removed are crossed out, and (if I remember) an asterisk is next to songs if it's the first time it has played in the playlist completely.

At the bottom of the list, you can see the number of unique songs that appear more than once ("Repeat Songs"), songs that appear twice ("Double Repeat Count"), songs that appear three times ("Triple Repeat Count"), etc.

Here are some of the stats I've gathered. The first is the "Total Repeat percentage", which is calculated by taking the number of songs (accounting for repeats) that appear more than once and dividing it by the number of songs I have listened to.

At the time of making this post, it is 52.7%! 

The second is the "Unique Repeat percentage", which is taken by dividing the number of unique songs that appear more than once by the total number of unique songs. (32.1%)

I've also made ratios for each of the percentages, which divides the repeats by the non-repeats rather than the total. I'm a high school student who hasn't taken a statistics class, so I don't know what data is useful (so I just chose to calculate everything I could think of).

I have added and removed songs since I started the list, but that should not mess up the data (a better shuffle system wouldn't get messed up by adding or removing songs anyway.) I can say with 100% certainty that the first 100 songs were played before I added, removed, or skipped any song (I do not know the size of the playlist at that time, my very rough estimate is 650?) If anything, removing songs means some songs will never repeat, so the data could be skewed either way.

2 Replies

and before anyone says anything, yes I have too much time, but this has become a genuinely enjoyable hobby.

Big update:

The list is complete because I’m not going over 1000 songs.
The repeat percentages are now 67.2% and 44.3% respectively.

the size of my playlist by the time I completed the list was 742 songs.

Suggested posts