Some local files not syncing

Some local files not syncing

Makrain
Music Fan

My spotify plan: Premium

Device: Windows 10 PC and Android phone

And here is the question/problem

Some of my local files wich i have added to my playlist still show as grey and wont play. I get the error message "spotify can't play this right now.....import it." Well they should be imported. They are in the same folder as hundreds of other songs on the playlist...i have tried re-installing spotify. I have tried moving the songs that won't play to different subfolder/folder. All other music playing programs on my PC play those songs just fine. This is highly annoying to not be able to listen to old 90's songs that don't exist in online spotify. 

Untitled.jpg
19 Replies

Re: Some local files not syncing

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Hi @Makrain, thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having issues playing some of your local tracks. Please check out this page for details on local file support in Spotify. It's possible that the tracks that won't play are in a format that Spotify doesn't support, such as M4A. Another possibility, according to that support page is that "Some of your tracks may be protected in restricted formats. You can install QuickTime on your desktop to allow most of these tracks to be played on Spotify."

If they are currently in an unsupported format, you may need to go back to the original CDs and rip them in one of the supported formats if you acquired them that way. Otherwise, if they are from iTunes or something of that nature, hopefully the Quicktime method will help!

dinomightRock Star 10
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Makrain
Music Fan
The songs that won't play now used to work before, so I don't think they
are unsupported format. They are regular np3s. I don't remember when this
problem started but it has been pretty long.

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Thanks for clarifying that they did work in the past. So, do they show up at all in the local files section if you click on that and can you play them from there? If so, you may need to re-add them to your playlists in order to fix this.

dinomightRock Star 10

Makrain
Music Fan
No they don't show up in spotify's local files list anymore. At some point
they have since I have been able to add them to my playlist.

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Okay, I know you mentioned that you've already tried reinstalling Spotify before, but could you please try doing a clean reinstall as described in this post to be sure everything is completely refreshed on your PC, and then go into your Spotify preferences and just double check that you've added as a source all the correct folders for the music you're looking for.

Please let me know if that resolves it for you!

dinomightRock Star 10

Makrain
Music Fan

I did all that guide told me to, but still the same songs refuse to load to local files list and onto my playlist. I noticed that if i have "music library" selected, i cannot even add my local folder as source. But even if i unselect the music library and add correct folder, still some of the songs wont be able to play/show

Untitled3.jpg
Untitled.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Highlighted

Makrain
Music Fan

Also. Now that i look the folders' properties. It has over 7100 songs but only around 5800 are added to local files list. Thats quite big loss...

Untitled4.jpg

Rock Star 10
Rock Star 10

Thanks @Makrain for your patience working through all this troubleshooting. Here's one more potential solution that seems to have worked for some users in the past who were experiencing similar problems. Please check out this link and follow the listed steps to see if that will reset your local files and hopefully fully resolve this for you.

dinomightRock Star 10

Makrain
Music Fan

There isn't such directory as said in that guide.

"C:\Users\#USERNAME#\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\##########-user\"

no \Spotify folder under "roaming". It must be for different spotify version or different windows version

But apparently there are some spotify files in c:\users\#username#\appdata\local\packages\ 

I have no idea why its in different directory than the guide. I haven't changed them.

Anyways, i found local-files.bnk file there and deleted it.

Didn't help...problem still persists

SUGGESTED POSTS