Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Currently having a really annoying issue with a new update. Since I've always hated having to scroll through every song of every album to get to the specific one I want, I always use grid view to click on the album I want. The issue now is that whenever I click on an album, maybe to move a song to a playlist, and then go back to view the albums again, it's back to list view. So I have to switch to grid every time I enter an artist page. Why can't it just remember my settings?

Top Answer
Mario
Spotify Legend

Hi everyone,

We have some more updates and info to share with you.

To start off, we’d like to confirm we heard you loud and clear when you say that having an artist’s whole discography displayed in list view while only trying to access one of their albums, even if that happens from the discography section, is not what you're expecting.

On these grounds, we reached out to the relevant teams and passed your feedback on. Since doing so, we have been in extensive conversations to make sure the situation is acknowledged and reevaluated.

For the time being, we wish to reiterate how you can view a single album while in list view:

When the full discography (including the selected album) opens, click on the album title. This will open only the album you mean to focus on, without the rest of the discography.

Once we have any further updates, we'll make sure to post again and let you know.

Take care!

Top Answer
Loneliest_Cabin
Spotify

Hi everyone - we have been sharing this feedback internally and the team will be looking to make a change soon. Thanks for all your comments, watch this space. 

117 Replies

I also have this issue. It started with the new update.

Same here on my desktop. REALLY annoying. I want to choose and set the default Discography album layout/view.

+1 hope they fix this soon

Hey folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

First, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble as you mentioned it could have started after an update.

If the issue persists, would you mind checking if it happens on a different device? This will give us a better look at the issue to help you further.

We'll be on the lookout for your next response. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Windows Store user here with 2022 update:  clean reinstall does not change anything.  I click on See All to the right of Discography.  It will open in list view.  I change to grid view.  Then I go back to an artist and click See All next to discography again.  It opens in list view again.

I did a reinstall and am still experiencing the same issues others here have described with it defaulting to list view only since the most recent update within the last few days or so. I'm primarily on MacOS, but I checked and it is occurring on Windows 10 as well.

Hey folks,

Thank you very much for keeping in contact and for the info you shared.

To keep investigating this, please include the next information in your reply. This will give us a better look at the issue to help you further.

- Spotify version and OS version you're currently running in your device.
- A short video where we can see the issue.
- The app was downloaded from the Spotify page or from the Microsoft store?

For the video, you can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator

MacOS Monterey v12.3, Spotify v1.1.81.604.gccacfc8c, Downloaded from Spotify website (uninstalled/reinstalled and issue was still occurring)

Video of issue attached.

This is not a problem that's going to be solved by uninstall/reinstall. It's a problem in the webapp too, .˙. it's inherent, not incidental. The update changed to defaulting to List View with no way to change that default.

If it's a bug, it needs fixing. If it's by design, it needs revisiting because list/grid should 1000% be user's choice.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

It would be great if you can all provide the info requested by @OscarDC. This will help get to the bottom of this and figure out why this is happening on your end.

We tried reproducing this, but but the Grid View remained active, so this issue might be related to individual accounts or device/ network set ups, since it's happening both on the Desktop app and Web player for some of you.

@samritt, Kudos for the video.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator

@Alex @OscarDC
100% reproducible in open.spotify.com on Chrome, Brave, Edge, and Safari — even incognito, so no cache/cookies issues, and all up-to-date with the latest production release:
1) open.spotify.com > Your Library > Artists
2) Select any artist
3) Scroll to Discography
4) Select Albums, then See All
RESULT: List View of album and tracks
5) Select Grid View
6) Select any album
RESULT: Album View displays correctly
7) Click in-app Back button to return to Discography > Albums
RESULT: Discography > Albums has reverted to List View, despite having previously selected Grid View
😎 Select Grid View
9) Select Your Library
10) Select the same artist as in Step 2
11) Scroll to Discography
12) Select Albums, then See All
RESULT: List View of album and tracks, despite having previously selected Grid View

Repeat in infinite combinations for the same result.
This is on a 2020 M1 MacBook Air running macOS 12.3.

I am on the latest Spotify client for MacOS (1.81) and I discovered that everytime I open an artist profile and look at the album and single releases the initial view is stuck at the "list view". If I switch to the preferred "cover view" and I look at an album and go back it always returns to the "list view". The "cover view" has always to be reactivated after each new click and does not "stick" like it did before. That is always an extra click for me each time I browse albums in an artist profile and is very annoying. I hope this will be fixed with the next update and is not just another "design choice"...

Seeing the same, very annoying. Hope this will indeed be fixed next update.

This seems to have just changed for me in the past week or so. If I'm in album view, I want to quickly find the album without having to scroll through all the song lists to get there. PLEASE PRIORITIZE!

Hey @MusicWalrus,

Thanks for the reply and the steps to reproduce this.

As we've mentioned previously we don't get the same result when we do this. The Grid View stays active no matter how many menus we change.

Can you try using a different account on your Macbook to check if this is happening there as well? You can ask a friend/ family member to log in with theirs or create a free account for test purposes. This will help us check if it's account related at all.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Same here. Pretty annoying indeed.

Hey folks,

Thanks for bringing this up in the Community!

Sorry to hear that this is happening.

We'd recommend the following:

• Run a clean reinstall of your Spotify app, following this Guide. It includes steps which will clear all related Spotify data before reinstalling.
  • Try logging in with a different account, to check if the same issue is present. You can create a free test account for this.

If this makes no difference, can you please provide us with the following info:

• Device model and OS version
  • Spotify version

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator

I also experience the extremely irritating behaviour discussed in this thread. The problem seems to have arisen with the change where "Albums" became a filter within "Discography". (Aside, this change is irritating enough on its own as it means an extra interaction to select Albums on the artist page every... single... time...)

The bug occurs, so far 100% of the time, on two computers updated to Spotify 1.1.81 with the new "Discography" interface, and does not occur yet on a third computer which briefly still has 1.1.80 with the "Albums" interface.

Bugged behaviour: Spotify for Windows 1.1.81.604.gccacfc8c on Win10 Pro for Workstations 2004 and on Win10 Pro 21H1.

Performed clean reinstall including all AppData locations and a general file search for "spotify". Downloaded new installer from Spotify website.

Bugged behaviour still occurs:
* Artist page > Set to Albums > See All > Result: List view > Set to Grid view > random Album page > back to Album listing > Result: List view
* Artist page > Set to Albums > See All > Result: List view > Set to Grid view > back to Artist page > Set to Albums > See All > Result: List view
* Artist A Album listing set to Grid view > Your Library > Artists > Artist B > Set to Albums > See All > Result: List view

I have no idea how I would make a video, but samritt's submission seems to mirror my experience exactly.

Expected behaviour: Spotify for Windows 1.1.80.699 on Win10 Pro 21H1.

The previous, expected behaviour is still in effect; once Grid view has been set once at some point in the past:
* Artist page > Albums > Result: Grid view > random Album page > back to Album listing > Result: Grid view
* Same for Artist page > Albums > Artist page > Albums and for Artist A Albums Grid view > Library > Artist B page > Albums.

Once Grid view has been set Spotify remembers that preference for seemingly all instances of Album listings view.

I checked the web player again out of curiosity, and can confirm that this issue is no longer occurring there (for me at least). I checked it in a Chrome incognito window - first logged out then logged in. I also checked it in a normal window logged in (which would still have cookies/cache/etc present) and then logged out. The problem was no longer happening in any of these 4 scenarios.

Suggested posts