Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Stop playing recommended songs

Stop playing recommended songs

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

12 Replies

Hey @user-removed ,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you elaborate more on what exactly you mean by "Recommended Songs"? Do you mean the Enhanced feature? You can turn it off by tapping on the button labeled "Enhanced" at the top of the playlist/collection.

Or you mean the Autoplay feature?

The more info we have, the better our input can be.

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

This is frustrating! I have the "Enhanced" feature turned OFF on my playlist.
I'm not talking about Autoplay either.
I am talking about "Sponsored recommendations."
I have a paid"Premium" account – not a free one. 

Recently I have experienced "recommended" songs added to my playlist without my permission.
I will be listing to my playlist (in the shower for instance) and all of a sudden I song I didn't add to that playlist starts playing.
I do get a message about "recommended songs" but there is NO WAY to turn them off in the iPhone app. I can even access "help" in the iPhone app.

I did find a so-called "solution" in the "help" section of the website, listed below: 

"Sponsored recommendations let you easily find new music from artists you love directly in the Spotify app.

If you don’t want these, tap Learn more the next time you see one. From there, you can stop them showing for that artist, or stop them showing altogether."

First of all – there must be a way to turn these recommendations off, rather than waiting until "next time I see one."
That is NOT helpful at all!

I promise you when this started happening while listening on my iPhone, I looked everywhere in the app and there was no way to turn it off! This is super annoying as I only want to hear songs that I added to my playlist – I DO NOT want any recommendations AUTOMATICALLY added to my playlist with out my permission.
And I am 100% positive there is no third-party adding the songs other than me.

Please help! How do I turn these off permanently!

Hi there @artslave,

Thanks for the post.

Could you send us a screenshot of how things appear on your end. It's possible that you're seeing a Spotify test. These automated tests introduce certain changes to the UI and test if users find them useful or not. 

It'd also be great if you can include the current Spotify app version you're running.

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex!

Thanks for getting back to me. I was able to take some screenshots of the Spotify app on my iPhone (below).
This is what I'm seeing when a song is recommended in the middle of my playlist.
I've clicked all the buttons & there is no option to "opt out" from these recommendations (disruptions!).

Last 2 pics are showing my options – the only option I could see to maybe make it stop is to "report" the track – with the option "I just don't like the song." We'll see if someone gets back to me!

BTW – it's not like I hate the song that was recommended – I just don't want it added to my playlist without my permission.
That make sense, right?

I am OK with suggestions (my Spotify home page is full of them!) just don't automatically insert them into my playlist please!

Thanks again for your help!

The Spotify app version on my phone is 8.8.8.668

Playing_recommended_songs.jpg
"Playing recommended songs for you"

Playing_recommended_songs_playlist.jpg

"Playing recommended songs for you"

"Now Playing" in queue

Menu_Options1.jpg

Menu options 

Menu_Options2.jpg

Menu options  cont.

Report_sent.jpg

    

Hey @artslave,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Based on the screenshots you've sent it does look like your Autoplay setting is turned on. Autoplay continues the playback with similar songs once your current music finishes playing. 

It's also worth mentioning that these recommendations are just suggestions and won't be permanently added to your playlist unless you add them. If you don’t like any of the tracks and want to remove them, go to the track and click on the minus sign.Lyubka_0-1676736014658.png

The song shouldn't reappear in the recommendations after this. With that being said, if you don't want those suggestions to be added in your playlist at all, we'd recommend that you toggle off your Autoplay. More info on how to do that can be found here

Let us know how it goes. 

LyubkaModerator

Thanks for your answer below:

The song shouldn't reappear in the recommendations after this. With that being said, if you don't want those suggestions to be added in your playlist at all, we'd recommend that you toggle off your Autoplay. More info on how to do that can be found here: https://support.spotify.com/us/article/autoplay/

I have wasted too much time & energy on this issue – I cancelled my Premium account today.

A word of advice – make that "AutoPlay" toggle easier to FIND.
Caused me hours of frustration and I have finally had it with Spotify –

Good riddance!

Turn_autoplay_OFF.PNG

I am having this exact same issue and I am about to cancel as well.  I have the premium account. Auto play is toggled off. Smart shuffle turned off. No “enhanced” button.  Still getting these highly annoying “recommended” songs while I am trying to listen to my playlist.  I’m regretting switching from Apple Music 😞

I'm experiencing the same thing! These are songs that are playing mixed in with my "liked songs" playlist. They're not playing once I've reached the end of the playlist, they're playing interspersed with my liked songs. I really dislike this feature because when I play my Liked Songs I only want songs that I've liked, not "recommended" songs. Like people have said previously, there's no way I can find to turn this feature off. "Autoplay similar content" is toggled off, and anyway the description below it ("We'll play something similar when what you're listening to ends") does not describe what I'm experiencing. I would like a way to turn this feature off.

Screenshot_2023-09-24-16-41-23-11_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-24-16-41-14-11_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-24-16-41-46-91_0438eb925998df20b3482ec25499d226.jpg

**bleep** I struggled so much to find out how to get rid of these recommended songs 😵 : you need to press the smart shuffle icon (the 2 crossed arrows with a small star in the left side of player view) ...

Have a great day.

How do I make Spotify play only the songs on my playlist and not it’s recommendations?

This feature drives me nuts too, why can we not turn this feature off Spotify?

Especially if I'm paying, I should be able to shuffle my lists however I please without other songs with foul language and nasty lyrics being jammed into my list! Fix it!!! 

Suggested posts