Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Username instead of display name displayed on collaborative playlist on web player

Username instead of display name displayed on collaborative playlist on web player

Usually, in collaborative Spotify playlists, the display name of who added a song is shown. But on the web player, what shows up instead is the username. For example, if a user has the username "user123" but has a display name "imuser", when adding a song to a collaborative playlist, on desktop "imuser" shows up. But on the web player, "user123", the username, is shown instead.

Such thing happening only on the web player, I believe it happens regardless of operating system or device, and I have actually heard from other people that the same happens to them, therefore not specific to me (others who read this may be able to confirm said behaviour).

I think that it could be an inconvenience. For example, if a group of people create a collaborative playlist but people wish to remain "anonymous" e.g. if their username reveals more about them than they wish, such as their real name (could happen), they might prefer their display name to be shown instead, not revealing their username. With such thing happening, people could refrain from adding to the collaborative playlist to avoid revealing their username

This also causes a difference in functionality, as in the desktop app the display name is shown but on the web player, the username is shown instead, causing such discrepancy. By having the display name show instead (which I believe is what Spotify wants to happen), both the desktop and web player experience would align in that sense, regarding that feature of collaborative playlists

If there's a reason for the username to be shown instead on the web version of Spotify, please enlighten me on why that would be so. Could be an error, or a bug. But could also be due to limitations on the web version vs. desktop version? (I don't think so, but I don't know for certain). Or maybe this is how it's meant to be and was designed as such on purpose

Thank you for your time, looking forward to a response

5 Replies

Hey @enrrari,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

It seems that members of the Community have already reported about this here and the right folks know about it. However, you can also follow and comment on the thread there to remain in the loop.

We hope this helps. Let us know if you need a hand with anything else!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for your reply

I had actually stumbled upon said post, but I mustn't have made to the end of the thread. I'll keep an eye out for when a fix shows up. Is there any way I can follow the thread to keep up on the news regarding said subject?

Once again, thank you for your time!

Hi there @enrrari,

Thank you for your reply.

You can subscribe through the 3-dot menu on the right side at the top of the thread 🙂

If there's any questions we're always one rely away.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thank you! I did look into the menu but I must've not have been logged into my account because I don't recall seeing the option. Already subscribed, will wait for further news on that thread

Hi again @enrrari,

Thank you for your reply.

We're glad to see that this got sorted out for you.

We'll keep an eye open for any possible question and reply in the meantime,

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts