Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why won't some local files download on my Mac?

Solved!

Why won't some local files download on my Mac?

Plan 

Premium Duo

Country

United States of America

Device

MacBook Air

Operating System

macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3

My Question or Issue

Some of the imported songs that I have in my playlist don't download, while some show that they are downloaded. The songs all play just fine and there is only 797 songs that I want to download. Also, I don't know if this means anything but some of the songs don't show that they're downloaded until I scroll down and up the playlist to check again (specific songs just continue to show that they aren't downloaded).

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 10.49.01 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @thatguy9111,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Please keep in mind that only files obtained from an official distributor and in the supported formats listed here can be imported. If that is the case, we recommend restarting your router or giving it a go with a different internet connection altogether. Also try disabling any Firewall and antivirus software and making sure Spotify is allowed through the Firewall settings. 

If the issue persists, it's also a good idea to change the source of the local files. Simply create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now you can try importing the files again.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I fixed this problem by opening the local files folder, (by default /Users/*username*/Music/Spotify) and deleting all the files and folders in that folder (all the downloads) and restarting Spotify. I had to redownload all the songs, but it downloaded all of them without skipping any (note this might take awhile depending on how many songs you have to download). Also make sure you have a strong secure internet connection the whole time it is downloading.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @thatguy9111,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Please keep in mind that only files obtained from an official distributor and in the supported formats listed here can be imported. If that is the case, we recommend restarting your router or giving it a go with a different internet connection altogether. Also try disabling any Firewall and antivirus software and making sure Spotify is allowed through the Firewall settings. 

If the issue persists, it's also a good idea to change the source of the local files. Simply create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now you can try importing the files again.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Why would you try to download local files at all? The music files should be on your mac and show up and play in the Spotify app.

Because, I want to download them all in a playlist and listen on my phone. 

In that case you should download them on your phone not your mac.

I've had problems with that as well so I assumed I'd be needing to download all of the songs from my Mac first. It's only downloading around 671 of the 763 songs I want to download in my playlist. I try to download all the songs and it stops at 521 and the download sign on the top just dissapears and doesn't download the rest of the songs.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

@thatguy9111, if you'd like to sync your Local Files to your phone, we'd recommend taking a look at this article where you'll find the steps you need to follow. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Marked as solution

I fixed this problem by opening the local files folder, (by default /Users/*username*/Music/Spotify) and deleting all the files and folders in that folder (all the downloads) and restarting Spotify. I had to redownload all the songs, but it downloaded all of them without skipping any (note this might take awhile depending on how many songs you have to download). Also make sure you have a strong secure internet connection the whole time it is downloading.

Thanks! I’ll keep this in mind just in case I have this issue again.

So the fault could be anywhere except with spotify.  I've looked at several solutions for several problems, and they are not helpful.  And get rid of those "choose the squares" to verify that you're a person--they're terrible.

Suggested posts