Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Annoying sound effects when controlling Spotify mobile using ipod controls

Solved!

Annoying sound effects when controlling Spotify mobile using ipod controls

Using Spotify Mobile Version 0.4.23 on iPhone 4 ios 5.0

Can anyone please confirm this when using the ipod multitasking controls (double clicking the home button twice). The controls cause annoying sound effects (beeping noises when playing/pausing/next/previous). I have tried this on other apps with no issues. This ONLY happens when the ipod controls are used in Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Thank you for fixing this in 1.0.

(There’s a switch called “Play Feedback Sounds” which you can deactivate in Settings → Playback. It works.)

Cheers!

View solution in original post

79 Replies

You are correct, this only happens with Spotify.  There is currently no way to disable these sound effects either.

many thanks for the confirmation jvanderb. I'm surprised this doesn't get more attention. Ipod controls are a great way to access your music without interrupting your workflow or having to background your app. I'm not even sure if these sounds effects are intended. It seems like such an easy fix.

The intention of these sounds is to give feedback what just happened if you use the remote control button on an Apple iPhone headset. It has long been a frustration for me to tell whether I just paused a track or if I switched to the next track, which just happened to start quietly. The fast forward/rewind commands are also almost impossible to tell if you made correctly without any feedback.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to tell from code whether remote control commands come from the multitasking dock, the headset remote, or any other remote control source (like Bluetooth); thus, I play them always. I've considered adding a setting, but the Settings view is already horrendously cluttered and I want to remove settings rather than add. However, if a lot of users really want to turn these sounds off, I could add such a setting.

hi nevyn, thanks for your reply. Your comments have left me a bit confused. Are you a coder for Spotify mobile? The "feedback" i'm referring to is very harsh on the ears. It completely ruins the listening experience when controlling the spotify mobile client via the ipod controls. If you are saying this is deliberate or designed with "accessibility" in mind, then please at least  make it optional. No other music app exhibits this behaviour.

Yes I am, and and yes it is. I'll try to make or get better, less harsh sounds, and also try to find a good way to make the sounds optional. Thanks for the feedback.

Making the sounds optional would be wonderful... they absolutely drive me insane!

And surely if you work for Spotify then it should say on your profile, as opposed to labelling you as a "New Contributor".
--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!

I agree that it would be nice if the sound effects were optional.  I don't mind them, but I can certainly understand why some would find them to be a nuisance. 

They're particularly annoying when using AirPlay... since there's a delay, so when you clip to go to the next track you see the UI update, but then only hear the "feedback" a couple of seconds later.
--
First was the record, then the cassette, the CD, then came along Spotify... that really did change everything!

I can certainly see the annoyance with AirPlay - I've never used it that way before, but that would be aggravating.  I usually just use Airfoil on my computer for AirPlay so the battery on my phone doesn't die, so I never would have thought about that happening.

that's great news nevyn! Can't wait to see this implemented. Glad to see your profile has received an upgrade as well...

If that is not possible on the code side - then how does the original iPod app do it? This sound is really really annoying. If I switch a song I want a transition as smooth as possible. I can't see how anyone could think this is not annoying. Please at least a setting to turn that off. By the way: settings should be in the Settings.app and not in the Spotify.app for the most part. So there goes your settings clutter. 😉

for those on jailbroken devices this is a quick and effective remedy. Navigate to your spotify app folder...

/private/var/mobile/Applications/ *bunch of random code* /Spotify.app

...using SSH (WinSCP is a good client). You'll find a bunch of ".wav" files inside with names like next.wav, pause.wav etc

Just delete them and bye bye annoyances. Bear in mind though if you upgrade or reinstall (assuming there is no fix by then) these files will return.

Agree that these sounds are annoying.  And since I've never seen any other audio player use them, I feel like they can't be that necessary.

Please do, I also find this annoying. There's no such thing as cluttered settings, as long as they are explained clearly. Never remove settings. More settings is always a good thing as long as they are not complicated. In this case on/off is not complicated.

@monkeybusiness wrote:

for those on jailbroken devices this is a quick and effective remedy. Navigate to your spotify app folder...

/private/var/mobile/Applications/ *bunch of random code* /Spotify.app

...using SSH (WinSCP is a good client). You'll find a bunch of ".wav" files inside with names like next.wav, pause.wav etc

Just delete them and bye bye annoyances. Bear in mind though if you upgrade or reinstall (assuming there is no fix by then) these files will return.

Awesome! Works perfectly.

Thanks ALOT! Those sounds drove me crazy while playing from my VW car dock !  Works perfectly on my 4s iOS5 ! 

Yeah, not really a good solution for people not wanting to jailbreak their iPhones.

Please make this an optional feature. Can't stand the annoying blup-blup sounds.

I'm putting my name on that wishlist too.

Sound keeps popping up even during songs (BMW).

+1 for making this optional or removing it. It annoys me a lot as well.

Suggested posts