Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Any plans for iPad streaming on Unlimited subscription?

Any plans for iPad streaming on Unlimited subscription?

Could Spotify advise if there are any future plans to offer streaming (not offline mode) for iPad users if they subscribe to unlimited?

I know you consider the iPad a mobile device but many people now like me use one as their main home computer (for convenience) and so i can't really see the issue with not allowing it. You could still prevent offline mode (just like Spotify on my home pc which is now banished upstairs!) and also ensure streaming only occurs from wifi. Apple provide a 'reachability' programming example for this: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/ipad/#samplecode/Reachability/Introduction/Intro.html -  although i can't see many people walking along the road with earphones plugged into an ipad!! in fact i don't even have a 3G version.

In short, i cannot see any difference mobility wise between a laptop (or one of the many tablet devices running Windows 7), and my ipad, except that i get unlimited streaming on a laptop for £5 but have to pay twice as much for the same thing on my ipad. i know Premium gives you more benefits but none are of value to me esp. as i don't have an ipod (so don't need offline mode) . I keep occasionally paying for Premium (as my account will show) but then cancel as it just isn't worth paying for, so end up with no subscription at all.

I miss Spotify loads... but it's too expensive... hope you have some future plans!

15 Replies

I Totally agree! An iPad is not really a mobile device is it... And i Never use offline playlists and never take my iPad out of the house. I can get Netflix with All those films and Tv Shows for £6 a month and also Get LoveFilm for £5! Thats two Movie streaming subsciptions for on,y one pound a month more! I have cancelled my spotify subscription and its going to stay that way untill they stop taking the mick...

I take my iPad with me almost everywhere since it's like a computer but not as good, but still more mobile than a laptop. I do consider it to be a highly mobile device compared to laptops. Especially the new iPads. Mines the G1 version 32 GB with Wifi and 3G. Sure if it only was 5€ instead of 10€ I could run my Android phone to be a Wifi Hot Spot and then use iPad to sync music 5€ cheaper than now. Makes you think about limiting it to WIfi only? 🙂

Taking a "non mobile device - wifi only) being mobile and using the connection from a mobile wifi hotspot and save money 🙂

Sure Windows 7 and future Windows 8 tablets will / are a thing of their own. Apple should make iPad OS differ from iPhone/iPod to distinguish it from being the same as them to be an OS on it's own rank. Then I bet this could be solved. But until that happens (I don't think Apple cares) I don't see this happening in the future.

Surely I don't work for Spotify and this is just my legendary:

2 cents 🙂

IDEAS: Device Management | Recover Deleted Items

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

How the Hell is a Macbook Air 11" not as mobile as a wifi only ipad?? Think it through... Omg

It comes down to operating systems and hardware.

A Macbook Air 11" runs a full version of Mac OS X, an iPad runs the mobile iOS operating system, therefore it is classed as a mobile device. 

You are suggesting that iPads are not mobile devices, the problem is, they run exactly the same software as the iPhone and iPod touch, with most definitely are mobile devices.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

lets think it through:

- Does ANY of the Macbooks run iOS - no

- Does ANY of the iPods run iOS - yes
- Does ANY of the iPhones run iOS - yes
- Does ANY of the iPads run iOS - yes

Second:

- Are iPhones mobile devices - yes
- Are iPods mobile devices - yes
- Are iPads mobile devices - yes

And finally

- Are laptops mobile devices - yes

BUT

Do they run the same OS?

- no.

So why does iPad need a premium subscription and why is it considered as a mobile device. It runs the same OS as the OTHER several mobile devices. If it was a computer, I'd say it would run some form of Mac OS X scaled down version.

Even Apple states clearly on their own website about a feature in the iPad: "The best display ever on a mobile device."

So even Apple thinks the iPad is a mobile device.

PS. Don't get mad / angry / upset or such. I'm just saying. I'd too like to pay only 5€ for a subscription to be used on iPad, but since its a mobile device - I understand it needing the premium subscription.

So I see your point and I surely wish you saw mine. I'm not here to cause trouble.

Please! Give "Kudos" to posts that you found helpful. Mark "Accept as Solution" if a post solved your issue!. Thank you!

So what your saying is the difference in paying double the price for a spotify subscription is based on what os you are running! And because an iPad is running the same os as an iPhone it must be "Mobile" yea...

Even though its pretty much the same size and weight with exactly the same radios as a Macbook Air 11"!?

A wifi only piece of hardware of the same size and weight is Not Mobile depending on what os it runs! When said products acquire a "Mobile" radio That is when they become mobile!

If an 11" Macbook Air isnt considered a mobile device then nor should a wifi only iPad!

Im not sure Apple would like the fact that Spotify are trying to suggest that an iPad should not really have the ability to replace a laptop! If a potential Customer is thinking of upgrading their laptop Most of them will not get an iPad And a new laptop, they will get one or the other and Apple has been working hard to make the iPad self sufficient, with ota software updates, iCloud backups etc etc

Matt

This isn't only about Apple products.

Android tablets are exactly the same. 

Peter

Peter

Exactly right like Peter said. It isn't only Apple iPad that should get away with this transformation. It should be then allowed to Androids too.

I dont see the problem in Spotify offering a Mobile (Premium) subsciption to those that want to use offline playlists And a Non Mobile (Unlimited) subsciption to those that just want to stream!

At the end of the day you pay more to download your music, and regardless of device if you dont want to use that feature why are you Forced to pay for it!? The customer should decide if they want a Mobile subscription regardless of device...

Its like buying a car and being told you Have to purchase All the extras or you cant buy it at all, or buying a burger and being told you Have to have the extra large meal deal or you cant buy it at all...

We are in a funny time with what product fits what category in terms of mobile usage, with iPads and Macbook Airs everything is a bit of a grey area but like i said, your Spotify subsciption should fit Your needs and you should Not have to pay extra for something you dont want and wont use. End of story...

FACT: Spotify are exploiting this iPad is mobile cr*p and using its popularity to charge customers more! Apple for one have sued for a lot less than this!!!!

Okay firstly, apple have no grounds to sue Spotify for providing a service just because you think it costs too much.

Spotify on tablets and phones has and probably will be in the forseeable future be a premium only feature, simply because there is no way to differentiate between devices that run the same mobile operating systems.

You don't go into shops and tell the staff there that their items cost too much, how is that different from this? Spotify provide a service, it has a fixed cost, that is it. 

If you don't like it then there are plenty of other services out there, although none quite as good as Spotify, that you can use instead. 

Just my opinions,

Peter

Peter

Hello all.

As some of the community members have stated above, currently you would need a Premium subscription to use Spotify on a iPad, iPhone, Android Phone, Android tablet and so on.

Currently, Unlimited will not stream on any mobile devices (with the exception of Radio on Android and iOS devices in the US).

If you are interested in something like this happening in the future, why not add an idea over on the Ideas board right here - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/idb-p/ideaexchange
Airhorn Enthusiast

"Spotify provide a service, it has a fixed cost, that is it."

Hahahahaha, click the link below and tell us how many subscriptions are there and tell us if the cost is FIXED

http://www.spotify.com/uk/get-spotify/overview/

Its like arguing with an idiot, sorry to be harsh but what your saying is completely false! Though i see im not going to get Anywhere here as either you work for Spotify or are so in the realms of fan boy hood that Spotify could sell you coal for your gas fire...

The cost is fixed. 

They offer two subscription plans sure, but the cost for each one and its functionality do not change. 

Peter

Peter

Great that you added the idea regarding the problem and also added it to be not just iPad but all tablets. I'v added my vote (Kudos) to the idea. I like it.

I'd say this issue is closed 🙂 We no longer need to debate about it but put our heads together and see if it can / will be implemented and how many of us there are who like it.

This is the way things go. You see an imperfect issue and want to address it - fine - put up an idea regarding it. Not start wars or such.

It doesn't help anyone of flaming others. Accept the feedback and act accordingly.

Thank you for creating the idea! Kudos.

Since there is now a dedicated Idea for this - http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Premium-Subsciption-Only-for-iPads-and-other-tablets-P... - I'll lock this thread for now.

Please feel free to carry on the discussion on this issue there. And remember to keep it civil, guys.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Suggested posts