Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App crashes roughly 30 seconds into songs

App crashes roughly 30 seconds into songs

iPhone X

IOS 13.4.1

Spotify Free Versión 8.5.55.856

Spotify will crash while playing music occasionally. It happens roughly 30 seconds into a song. Upon reopening app the same song will be playing however it will be set to 2 seconds in. 

Happens with or without Bluetooth. On WiFi and mobile. Generally happens on the 2nd or 3rd song played but once it crashes it is more likely to crash again, even on the same song. 

Has been happening for a month or more and through an IOS update and a Spotify update. 

I’ve tried deleting the app and reinstalling even by doing a “clean sweep” as found in the help section here (several times).

Any help is appreciated. I’m willing to factory reset my iPhone if that’s what it takes. 

13 Replies

Hey @Kwhean and thank you for reaching out on the Spotify Community!

That definitely doesn't sound right! I'm here to help you get back to your tunes.

Let's get right to it! Does this happen with a specific playlist or track? If so, could you share that playlist/track with me? Also, could you try using Spotify with a different account (e.g. from a friend/family member)? That could help here.

Let me know how you get on!

Thanks again for reaching out! Keep me posted!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Spoiler
No specific playlist. It’s happened to me several times on many different songs. I tend to search for a song then let Spotify take it from there. I’ll go an entire week without interfering. I just let it keep playing where it left off. 

Started listening on my wife’s phone today and she had the same crash. She said it’s the first time she noticed it but it was the exact same thing. Song reset to 2 seconds in. She also has an iPhone X. 

I have noticed that subsequent crashes on the same song add 2 seconds to the song upon reopening the app. Ex after the first crash the song will be at 2 seconds upon reopening the app. After the second crash the song will be at 4 seconds after reopening. Again, the crash happens roughly 30 seconds into a song so we keep hearing the same part of the song. 

Just to add to this. I logged out of my account and created a new account just to see what happens.

I noticed that “car mode” was turned on. If I go into the settings and turn “car mode” off while a song is playing, the app will crash. Reopen the app and the same song will reset your 2 seconds. You can rinse and repeat adding 2 seconds to the song every time you reopen the app.

I was able to replicate this 100% of the time.

Anyone have any insight into this? Spotify is basically unusable now.

The only consistent thing is after a crash the song timer will be at exactly 2 seconds.

Im having the same issue. It’s random at times, I’ve tried unlinking google maps and turning off car mode. Still will crash on a song about 30’s in. If I continue playing through google maps or just by multitasking>open app it will launch, play the same song and repeat. Sometimes skipping once or a few times will correct it for about an hour. This usually happens when I’m driving connected to blue tooth. It happens on my trucks Bluetooth or a Bluetooth head phones. Custom Playlist or band playlist or even album.

iPhone 11max iOS 13.6 

I have the same problem, have had it for a month, since I went from premium to free. 

i have  an iphone SE

my app crashes roughly 30 seconds into a song every single time I play one. I have deleted my cache, closed the app, updated the app (today), restarted the phone multiple times and the issue remains. I made no changes to my subscription, playlists or anything like that. I’m not receptive to using a different account as I pay for the premium to avoid these issues. I use Spotify every day for hours at a time. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have no other option to explore at this point.

Hey there @Andyshole and @Anroania ,

Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about this.

In this case we would recommend you to reinstall the app. You can find the steps by clicking here.

@8735430 - Could you let us know what version of Spotify you're having and what device/devices this occurs on?

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just wanted to jump in and say that I’m having the same issue. 

I’ve deleted the cache, I’ve logged out logged back in, uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times, reset the settings on my phone, turned off my WiFi, my bluetooth, but still, every song I play, no matter what artist or playlist, Spotify will crash 30 seconds. 

please advise, as others have said, the app is near unusable now. 

Hey @Goinsdavid5,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far are very good. We'd like to add a few more. If you're using an SD card, you can remove it, reinstall the app and then try running the app without the SD. Does this issue persists?

If you use any battery optimization or power saving apps, it's a good idea to deactivate them for Spotify.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

Hey Ver, appreciate the response.

I do not have a removable SD card in my phone. I am using an IPhone XS.

No battery saving options turned on and background app refresh has been
turned off.

However, the app will still not remain open. It crashes every time within
30 seconds of playing any song.

I am not sure what else to do aside from the trouble shooting steps I
listed in my previous post.

Please advise. Missing my tunes.

Hey @Goinsdavid5,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

In this case, we'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can investigate this further and can give you more information about it.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts