Apple Watch offline usage?

Solved!

Apple Watch offline usage?

bi3wn9r2f84h8zy
Visitor

My Question or Issue

i have recently purchased an Apple Watch, will there be an update that allows me to use Spotify on there without taking my phone out with me? It is very inconvenient when exercising? 

I have seen similar posts to this all over a year ago with very limited answer which have really been avoiding the question... so Spotify do you have an answer for this? 

The technology must already be there as other music apps are able to implement this feature...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Good news!

Spotify now supports downloads on Apple Watch. This will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Check out this Spotify news article for more info:

Enjoy More Ways Than Ever to Use Spotify on Your Apple Watch—Now With Downloads 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

169 Replies

Billy-J
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey @bi3wn9r2f84h8zy, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Apple Watch will need the iPhone near it since the iPhone will need to be paired with your Apple Watch with Bluetooth. If you're away from your iPhone, you won't be able to use Spotify on your watch until you get near it again. If this is a feature you would like to see in the future, you can always create a new Idea here

There is more info about Apple Watch here

I hope this helps!

Billy-JRock Star 24

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Spotify announced in 2018 that they were working on an offline mode for the Spotify Apple Watch app that should allow listening when not connected to iPhone but there has not been any announcements on when this will be coming out.

2018 (SEP)
Apple finally allows enhanced functionality for the Spotify app on the Apple Watch

With Watch OS 5, Apple allowed the Spotify team to start developing offline functionality

MattSudaRock Star 24

vachesco

At the moment, and as far as I know, only Apple Music app allows doing this... 😞 pitty that Spotify won’t work on this issue, as many people have been asking for it...  I’m considering switching to AM because of this. 

AppleG
Composer
„New idea“....
Yes....very very very new...

This answer is a shame.

You all know that is a main discussion for millions of users.

Didorx
Casual Listener

Vote with your pocket, should be more effective.

I’ve had enough of waiting. Apple, take my money. 

voip-ninja
Regular

Pandora's latest app for the watch allows for offline playback. If dinky Pandora can do it there aren't many excuses for why Spotify can't.

I mountain bike extensively in areas with no cell reception and it's annoying to take my bulky phone with me on rides. 

Would like this functionality but not holding my breath. Either Spotify is incompetent (can't make app, app won't get approved, stupid licensing situation, etc.) or they don't care. Personally I think the latter more likely.

vojtechkozuch
Visitor

I think this is more about a "politicking" between Apple and Spotify, as Spotify is the biggest competitor against AM so far. I think Apple can dictate whether Spotify app on Apple Watch can have the offline mode or not, as there is an approval process before the app is placed in store. Actually, it works. This is the only reason I use AM. Otherwise is much more worse than Spotify and there is no reason to use it. Please don't say that this is a technical issue, as I've had Samsung Galaxy Watch Active previously and it gave me the option to download the music directly to the watch.

Calzoned
Regular

Spotify is lazy, I'm considering going to Apple Music (AM) or Pandora. 

I'm going to write to customer service and let them know that I will be planning to end my subscription with them if they dont change. Heck, make it a premium feature if they have to. Just do IT!

Calzoned
Regular
Everyone who reads these posts, PLEASE like them so that people know how much attention this should be getting.

Katerina

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here in the Community!

Offline listening on the Apple Watch is something other Spotify users have suggested that they'd like to see in the app.

In this case, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE and feedback in this idea to show your support and contribute to the discussion around this. This way, you can also stay up to speed on any updates we have to pass on.

If you'd like to find out more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify and how an idea can get implemented, we'd suggest checking out this Spotify Answer.

Hope this info is useful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Calzoned
Regular
My 17 year old brother can add this feature to the spotify app. What is
holding Spotify back from such an easily-added feature that users want?

kinseystuart
Visitor

I recently purchased the apple watch series 5 and I have to say I am beyond disappointed in Spotify. I at first thought it was user error that i couldn't connect my headphones but then read all of these posts. What is the point of paying a premium membership when this has been in the works for almost 2 years by the looks of it? The main reason i bought the watch was so i wouldn't have to carry my phone while running and would have access to my playlists...guess i shouldn't have trusted this would be an easy process. Thinking of switching over to Pandora or Apple Music at this point since both seem to be working from my watch. Not great for your paying customers 😕

Banjaxed
Visitor

I’m very disappointed in Spotify for not being willing to implement this, clearly loads of people have been asking for it.

If the final answer is that Spotify can’t be bothered then it looks like I’ll be another user of to Apple Music..

shellied84

I should’ve done more research before choosing the Apple Watch because my main driver was that I could go for a run and listen to Spotify without having to carry my phone... turns out that’s not the case! Super disappointing and like others I’m considering changing to AM simply for this convenience. I would’ve thought being 2020 this would be a pretty standard feature. 

ssimp
Visitor
Well, I got my watch & airpods this week specifically to go running/kayaking/skiing outside. Dear spotify, I'm starting my 3 month trial of AM today. If there's no update in 3 months, I'm switching entirely.

konstantinrd
Billy-J, this doesn't help. Back in 2018 Spotify said it's working on offline ability. Pandora can do it so it's not locked to Apple Music only. We would appreciate actual update on that plan vs a cookie cutter answer about obvious setup that we need an iPhone in order to listen to Spotify ....

ashleyjcharman

The story was Apple were holding back the development which Spotify blamed Apple for, but with the WatchOS Kits that Apple provided to developers last year when WatchOS6, the ball is now on Spotify’s court to make it happen. They have the development tools, the frameworks and kits, it’s us all now waiting on Spotify from what I understand of it all. I don’t understand why they haven’t implemented such features like offline saving on the Apple Watch and Cellular Streaming, it would be such a big move for them, and a game changer for us, and it will mean Spotify can really compete against Apple with Apple Music. 

voip-ninja
Regular

Spotify blew $100M signing Joe Rogan so no money  left for app development apparently 

hucsires
Visitor
Same situation...
SUGGESTED POSTS