Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[AppleTV] No sound on Apple TV when streaming to other devices over AirPlay2

[AppleTV] No sound on Apple TV when streaming to other devices over AirPlay2

Hey folks,

We're seeing reports that using AirPlay to stream Spotify from an Apple TV to other AirPlay 2-enabled devices stops the sound on the source Apple TV. 

The relevant team is aware of this and they are currently looking into it. 

If you're experiencing this, we'd first recommend making sure your TV has been added to the room as described here.

If the issue persists, let us know by adding your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
47 Replies

Model and OS version of my Apple TV

Apple TV 4K, 32GB (A12 Chip)

Apple TVOS 14.7 (18M60)

Spotify Apple TV Version

2021.08.02_0-4e2c47e release-v2.143-1-g52ca99d-mvhz

According to App Store: 1.23.17

Exact make and model of the device I am trying to stream to

belkin SOUNDFORM CONNECT Audio Adapter with AirPlay 2

As described from other users, several other apps (e.g. Podcasts) work without problems and can output audio simultaneously on both, Apple TV (HDMI) + AirPlay 2 Receiver (belkin SOUNDFORM CONNECT).

Spotify however doesn't work i.e., as soon as I switch from the Podcasts app to the Spotify app audio stops playing on the Apple TV.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting this behavior to us.

We're happy to say that this should get resolved when we launch support for AirPlay 2. We can't set a specific timeframe for this right now, but we invite you to keep an eye out on the respective Idea on our Exchange here. We'll post any updates there, as soon as there are any.

Because of this, we'll be moving this thread back to our Help boards. Of course, we'll continue monitoring both threads for your feedback and are looking forward to it.

Take care,

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Mihail 

Thank you for the information.  

I wonder why it took a year for you to confess the lack of airplay II and meanwhile kept us busy troubleshoot our hardware, uppdating firmwares for nothing! Even blaming Apple AirPort Express devices as unsupported when you all knew it was your crappy old software!

I spent hours of hours trying workaraounds, and seaching for clues… 

I see that this "Apple TV [4K] TV/Receiver goes mute with AirPlay speakers also selected" issue still persists in January 2022 on the current Spotify app for Apple TV that was most recently updated in November 2021. Sigh.

The problem is also present in Pandora's current (but much older) Apple TV app.  Of course, Apple's "audio-only" apps like Music and Podcasts work correctly.  The Amazon Music app works correctly too, so it's not a universal problem for 3rd-party audio app developers (although I don't doubt that Apple's SDK may present some challenges :-). 

Hey @BMeek,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to improve our features.

In the meantime we suggest that you head over to the idea that's been mentioned above and leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates regarding this.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Jeremy,

It’s a mistake to lump this Apple TV-specific complaint into a general “idea” about Spotify supporting AirPlay 2 (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Airplay-2-Support-for-iOS/idi-p/4659638 ). The whole “idea” that Spotify has dragged their heels on supporting AirPlay 2, on iOS even, is frankly shocking. I mean wth!!!??? A music streaming service company like Spotify is free to innovate along the lines of Spotify Connect, but to ignore your customers’ reality within Apple’s multi-trillion-$$ ecosystem is simply idiotic. Anyway, given the apparent brainpower of your Product Marketing folks, I expect they’ll FINALLY get AirPlay 2 support into the iOS app someday and dismiss that [no-brainer] “idea” thread as done while the Apple TV app will be ignored.

Anyway, I’m actually here because I’m shopping music services - I’ve been paying for a Pandora subscription since 2010 and the fact Pandora’s Apple TV app hasn’t been updated for AirPlay 2 multiroom support either was the final annoyance that sent me out to research their competitors. Too bad - like cellular phone service providers, it looks like I’m after the music service that sucks least :-).

April 2022, 11 months later, the issue is still there. Whenever I stream from Spotify to another Airplay 2 device (like my Sonos loudspeaker), it shuts down the sound on the Apple TV. This is a problem unique to Spotify, on other apps the sound remains active on the Apple TV.

When are you going to take that seriously ?

It’s Spotify. They are not going to take this seriously. This is the same company that said lossless audio was coming last year and it just never happened. Airplay 2 implementation will likely never happen either. These things are likely not a priority given Spotify’s got their cash cow now. His name is Joe Rogan. I intend to cancel my premium subscription.

Suggested posts