BUG: Spotify on iOS suddenly translated itself into Finnish language

Solved!

BUG: Spotify on iOS suddenly translated itself into Finnish language

UI Langugage of the OS: russian

Spotify UI language before the bug: russian

Spotify langugage on my desktop: russian

Current version of Spotify on my mobile: 2.7.0.1943

The problem

Yesterday when I lauched Spotify as usual, I found it translated itself into Finnish languge and there is no way to set UI back to Russian or English.

I have logged out from the app and removed it then. After that, I have redownloaded it back to my phone and started it - it spoke Finnish again.

Is there any solution to get the UI back to Russian or English?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Got English back. Here is a how.

Spotify dosn't really use the language of the iOS UI (which is currently Russian on my phone); instead, it checks for the PREFERRED LANGUAGE LIST and tries that one. In my case it was (see the order): Russian, Finnish, Estonian, English. When I removed Finnish language, my phone reset the languages (I saw a black screen saying the phone was installing a new language for a minute or less), then I launched Spotify and it's UI was set back to English!

Now, when I've got Spotify back, I think it was originally in English (not Russian, which I thought it was). Sorry for misleading you at the beginning.

Can you check if Spotify wasn't recently upgraded and Finnish langugage was added to it? If so, this would explain the reason why this happened to my phone. Otherwise, this might be a bug (still...).

View solution in original post

7 Replies

The Spotify app chooses the language based on your settings in iOS.

Read this on how to change the language for iOS:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2371

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

If that does not work, let me know so this issue can be looked into. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

As I mentioned, my iOS UI langugage is russian (wasn't changed either!). But Spotify UI is Finnish, not Russian nor English or anything. So it still seems to be kind of a bug. If you need more information (logs or something), please let me know and I'll sent them).

Thanks for the report. I have passed it on to be looked into. 

If I hear any updates, I will let you know.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hello, @tallinnlane!

Thanks for your comments. Could you test a couple of things for us? First, change the language settings of your iPhone to English, restart the device, and let us know if the language of Spotify changed into English too. (You may need to log out/in once.)

Then, do the same changing the language of the device back to Russian. Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Teresa.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Marked as solution

Got English back. Here is a how.

Spotify dosn't really use the language of the iOS UI (which is currently Russian on my phone); instead, it checks for the PREFERRED LANGUAGE LIST and tries that one. In my case it was (see the order): Russian, Finnish, Estonian, English. When I removed Finnish language, my phone reset the languages (I saw a black screen saying the phone was installing a new language for a minute or less), then I launched Spotify and it's UI was set back to English!

Now, when I've got Spotify back, I think it was originally in English (not Russian, which I thought it was). Sorry for misleading you at the beginning.

Can you check if Spotify wasn't recently upgraded and Finnish langugage was added to it? If so, this would explain the reason why this happened to my phone. Otherwise, this might be a bug (still...).

Hi, @tallinnlane!

Thanks for sharing your solution. The language of the iOS app is not currently available in Russian, and that's why the app chose the next available language in your list (Finnish). And Russian language was removed in the recent iOS update. So, mystery solved! 

See you around,

Teresa.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Suggested posts