Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Background downloads not working

Solved!

Background downloads not working

My Question or Issue

Hi, I have recently started to use spotify and have now tried to download my playlists and albums on my iPhone. Generally it works, but with the limitation that I have to leave my display on and spotify as app on. As soon as I have another app in the foreground or switch off my display, the downloads stop until I have Spotify in the foreground again. Is that a bug or a feature?

Plan

Premium

Device

(iPhone 7)

Operating System

(iOS 11)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @user-removed, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Good question! 

To answer it, this is a feature, how Spotify downloads songs, not a bug. You understood it very well, if the screen isn't on or you aren't using Spotify then downloading will stop until you switch back to Spotify. 

For future references, you can read Listen Offline and Listen offline troubleshooting FAQs' for more information or question's you might have about this feature 🙂

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @user-removed, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

Good question! 

To answer it, this is a feature, how Spotify downloads songs, not a bug. You understood it very well, if the screen isn't on or you aren't using Spotify then downloading will stop until you switch back to Spotify. 

For future references, you can read Listen Offline and Listen offline troubleshooting FAQs' for more information or question's you might have about this feature 🙂

Have a nice day!

Thank you for your quick answer @LorenXK.

I guess I'll have to get through it. I wanted to download about 2k songs and would find it more pleasant if I could just turn off my phone and download it all in the background. I think there are some good reasons for this approach. 🙂

I am really happy that I was able to help you 🙂

Yes, there should be a good reason. Try to go to Settings>Display & Brightness and set Auto-Lock to never. Open then Spotify and let it finish 😉

https://open.spotify.com/track/5Em4p6DHTRFjfBp66mGzJh 

Suggested posts