Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Beta Equalizer ?

Solved!

Beta Equalizer ?

I was cleaning my iphone today (just rubbing it over) while spotify was open and somehow brought up an equalizer, allowing at least 7 or 8 frequency adjustments.

For the life of me, i have no idea what i did, or what gesture brought it up, it was on the track play page. It was very simple, as if it was a beta feature. It was definitly working tho, as it was playing through my car audio at the time, so could clearly hear the difference adjusting the eq made, however when I closed it, couldn't bring it up again.

Anyone else manage to bring this up?

Running IOS6.01 iPhone 5 with spotify v0.5.8

116 Replies

Yeay, the only option to equalize my music in spotify is gone again. Wish i had never updated the spotify app.

"It wasn't really ready for public release in the first place"

Why? For the love of god, why? It worked really well IMHO and enriched my experience immensly. Now it's gone, the tracks sound flat and lifeless again and my Sennheiser buds resume complaining about the lack of workout they get from the anemic low end. eQualify does a great job for the desktop app. You just can't tell me that implementing an equalizer is that great of a challenge. You nearly had it right there! 

I just want my thundering doublebasse and crunchy guitars back. Please? Pretty please with cherry on top?

I was also really happy with this limited EQ. I know it was not perfect, but for me at least it worked wonders in some occasions.
Hope to see a quick update to get it back, or just add a button somewhere to activate it. Then you can develop it further and we can use the beta equalizer in the mean time

@Baltech wrote:
Why? For the love of god, why? It worked really well IMHO and enriched my experience immensly. 

Gotta disagree with this - You should be able to use an EQ without needing to enter some video game cheat code.

Actually that sounds kinda cool. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

He is referring to the usability of the eq itself, doesn't really matter what gesture to get access to it. We found it by accident and really loved it. It works well enough for me.

It would have been better left in the new version, so some folks (power-users) could use it. Te chance of a accidental access to the EQ was really really small. So most users would never know it was there.

Oh, I absolutely agree, David. Still, having a cheatcode-equalizer is better than having no equalizer at all.

So either keep the secret, hidden beta equalizer, let it be activated by a button that clearly expresses the beta-state of this equalizer or just add a frakking equalizer! It's not like such a thing would mess with the core functionality of Spotify.

Again: If there already was a decent, working beta-equalizer, why remove it instead of adding it officially or just keeping it around? It didn't cause the program to crash, it didn't increase the already exorbitant energy conumption of the app, it was just there, enhancing the music. Granted, it could use a little finetuning and some presets for people who don't want to mess with frequencys but that's why it still was in beta. It just rubs me the wrong way. 

I think it was a sort of hack together equaliser that someone created, just as a test, to further iterate on at a later date. However, we, er, forgot to remove it. We're stunned anyone found it at all.

But we're flattered you guys really like it. We'll see what we can do.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Well, if you put something in there and there's a way to access it, no matter how well you'll hide it, somebody WILL find out about it. Seriously, that's just like, a law or something.

I really do not understand what the problem is with wanging a decent EQ in there. A mornings work for your coders surely??

Shame that there can't just be a 3rd party plugin on iOS like eQualify for the desktop version. Which is very awesome by the way, comepletely free and should be installed by each and every Spotify user (shameless plugging).

In the afternoon maybe they could make it possible to alphabetisise playlists. Sheesh! Come on guys!💩

Please, put the beta equalizer back. Just search on the internet and you will find a lot of people really want/need an equalizer. It is one of the major things that makes one decide whether to buy spotify premium or not. The sales departement should really pay some attention to the community, people stop using spotify for it lacks an equalizer, on the other hand it is a great opportunity for spotify to become the biggest player in the market, at very low costs.
I, as a major user, really recommand you to look into this and have the sales department to bend over this and work out the equalizer and use it in advertisements as a major pre of spotify.

Seriously - my happiest day with Spotify was the day I discovered the EQ. I abandoned my old (paid) EQ app and began enjoying Spotify's music to a whole new level in my high-end headphones. Ever since, I've had a bigger respect for Spotify, as that was such an important feature to me. Please bring it back - otherwise I may have to go back to my old EQ app for that awesome customizable sound. The beta EQ was infinitely better than no EQ.

"We're stunned anyone found it at all"

Dude its 2013, :)-   1 person finds it.>>>> its ALL OVER the internet, facebook (the way i found out) , youtube.....  hundreds if not thousands of people probably used this feature. I found 3 youtube videos explaining how to use it just now and they have 17k, 6k and 5k views respectively.......  my point is, plenty of people knew about this not just a handful.  

Like someone said.. bring the thunderous double bass drums back.. Gojira is not sounding the same with out the bass cranked up   🙂

New update removes popular functionality, paying subscribers want to downgrade to previous version!

This all sounds very familiar.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

"New update removes popular functionality, paying subscribers want to downgrade to previous version!"

Well the EQ is definatly coming very soon! I am confident that spotify will add it again soon.

A good EQ function will make Spotify outstanding.

I use EQu and latterly Equalizer for IOS tobalance the audio for different docks and headphones i use.

Sadly these Apps cant access spotify, so my Spotify experience is compromised.

Please incorporate this feature.

Thanks

What happened to the beta eq?

@Pietsch wrote:
What happened to the beta eq?

It has been removed from this version, see David's post here.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts