Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I set Spotify Premium to playback on WiFi only

Solved!

Can I set Spotify Premium to playback on WiFi only

Hi I am wondering if anyone help?

I generally use Spotify Premium on the iphone via WiFi around the house. However occasionally the connection reverts to 3G. I am concerned that I may not notice the switch and I may eat into my data allowance.

I am aware that there is an offline mode but that would obviously lose the streaming ability.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

I don't think there is currently an option to disable streaming over 3G. However, if you are listening to a playlist, you could mark it for offline listening, which would download the tracks and then they would be played from your phone rather than streaming, even if you are still online. Then you can still search and stream other tracks if you liked.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Although there is no option in the Spotify app to use only Wi-Fi, the application manager for the smartphone can limit if an application can use the data plan.

Open the "Settings" app and choose "Cellular" to see how much data you have used. Scroll down on the page to see individual apps that have used your cellular connection; below each app is the amount of data it has used to date. If you want to stop Spotify from using cellular data, move the slider to the off position.

With the Samsung Galaxy smartphone, open the settings , select 'Data Usage', Scroll down on the page to see individual apps, select the Spotify app or any other offensive data usage app and select/check the box for 'Restrict background data'

Marked as solution

Yes and I find that when a playlist goes to the end it goes on to the radio player which I like when at home and on wifi but not when out and about on data! There definitely needs to be an option for differentiating between wifi and data streaming.  I dont want to switch to offline all the time to prevent this.  I do keep playlists downloaded but it does swtich to streaming the radioplayer once the downloaded playlist comes to an end.  Ive discovered some lovely music through this option so don't want to have to remember to go to offline online all the time.  Just unpractical.  This can't be that hard to sort out Spotify honestly. 

22 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

I don't think there is currently an option to disable streaming over 3G. However, if you are listening to a playlist, you could mark it for offline listening, which would download the tracks and then they would be played from your phone rather than streaming, even if you are still online. Then you can still search and stream other tracks if you liked.

Peter

Peter

Thanks for the prompt reply. It looks like I'll have to live with it.

I know it's my fault but I did set up one of my playlists for offline listening and the tracks filled my phone leaving no space for anything else. Obviously smaller playlists are the answer !!!!

I think the Spotify crew should really fix this, what Peter said is not really a good solution. I have thesame problem, sometimes WiFi shuts down and Spotify just goes on using my 3G connection, which costs me a lot of money. Putting all music on my phone is really not a solution, since I love to play various playlists from people I don't know. Putting each playlist on my phone would be a hell of a job.

So please, put an extra option in the settings, like 'Wifi stream only', or 'warn if Wifi connection is lost'.

Thanks in advance.

There's a workaround: You can go to Settings -> General -> Cellular, and turn Cellular Data to "off".  Just be sure to turn it back on again when you want to use your iPhone *outside* your house.

Is there a solution to this yet? Spotify needs to provide a setting that allows the listener to only listen when wifi is available. As I'm sure many others can attest, at times I drop off wifi and don't know it. Spotify keeps up playing - and I rack up several hundred MBs of data usage within a short time. It is killing my data plan.

I would also like to see an update to add this feature. (on all mobile operating systems)

This is ridiculous - and very irresponsible - every other app warns - a wifi only mode is not a nice to have but essential

You can at least force the app into offline mode from the settings menu when you are out and about.

Peter

This is terrible design to exclude an option for this. They clearly have no understanding of user behavior.

You can turn off Cellular data usage for any app in your iPhone Settings>Cellular>then scroll down to the list of apps, find Spotify, and swipe the button from green to gray. Every time I open Spotify, it now reminds me that I have turned off Cellular Data usage. At first I was annoyed, but at least I have confirmation that I'm not using up my plan limit.

this actually works but then the app sometimes moans at u that 3g/4g is turned off for this app and it may need it.

but just click settings and then close out back to spotify sorts it out and just works fine on WIFI only 😄

thanks again!

Have you tried going to Side Menu->Preferences->Streaming quality and disabling the option "Sync over the mobile network"? (Or something equivalent, my app is in Spanish)
Marked as solution

Although there is no option in the Spotify app to use only Wi-Fi, the application manager for the smartphone can limit if an application can use the data plan.

Open the "Settings" app and choose "Cellular" to see how much data you have used. Scroll down on the page to see individual apps that have used your cellular connection; below each app is the amount of data it has used to date. If you want to stop Spotify from using cellular data, move the slider to the off position.

With the Samsung Galaxy smartphone, open the settings , select 'Data Usage', Scroll down on the page to see individual apps, select the Spotify app or any other offensive data usage app and select/check the box for 'Restrict background data'

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this solution works. I actually figured this
out on my own a while back, I probably should have updated my post.

I'm sure this will go ignored like the other Android app issues spotify has (or there will be more posts with "fixes" that don't fix anything), but how can there still be no way to limit to wifi streaming on the Android app (Galaxy S7 Edge)?? I've already selected "Restrict Background Data" in my data usage. I've set Spotify to Offline. But now it won't stream on wifi. This has been an issue since 2013. Crickets.

Luckily I have the ability to have an SD card in my phone so I have all the music I've downloaded from Spotify stored locally on the SD card, and I almost exclusively listen to music I've downloaded. However, somehow Spotify is still a major drain on my data usage.

I cannot understand why Spotify have not provided a real solution for this yet. It makes perfect sense that at times people will want the option of streaming over WiFi only, like when abroad and you only have 1 GB of roaming data...

Dear Spotify, 

Unless you're colluding with network carriers to waste our money, please add this to android. I just had it set to not use background data and somehow it still blew through my data plan. 

Not having this feature is extremely questionable.

Marked as solution

Yes and I find that when a playlist goes to the end it goes on to the radio player which I like when at home and on wifi but not when out and about on data! There definitely needs to be an option for differentiating between wifi and data streaming.  I dont want to switch to offline all the time to prevent this.  I do keep playlists downloaded but it does swtich to streaming the radioplayer once the downloaded playlist comes to an end.  Ive discovered some lovely music through this option so don't want to have to remember to go to offline online all the time.  Just unpractical.  This can't be that hard to sort out Spotify honestly. 

Still no wifi only option. Why ? Can't be to hard is it ? Yes i can download playlist (i do) and yes i can select ofliine mode. But i want to select use wifi only. Come on boys ..

Suggested posts