Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can I use voice commands (through Siri) to control Spotify on my iPhone 6?

Solved!

Can I use voice commands (through Siri) to control Spotify on my iPhone 6?

Austin is about to make it illegal to use my phone at all while driving. I'd like to be able to use voice commands to control Spotify while driving. Can I do this? Or is there an app that will help me do this? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately, Apple has not opened up Siri to third party apps. That means you cannot use voice commands with Spotify using Siri.

A voice command such as "play Spotify" will only open up the Spotify app.

A voice command such as "pause Spotify" will result in a "ok, paused" reply, but won't actually do anything.

Until Apple opens up Siri for third party developers to use with their apps, you won't be able to control Spotify using Siri.

Apple just recently opened up Touch ID to developers, so maybe in the future they will be less restrictive with Siri and open it up.

For more information, feel free to check out this page. 🙂

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Suppose Apple believes music taste should be kept more private than your position. Just imagine what 3rd party developer could do if they knew what type of music you listen to! 😱

Marked as solution

Melody Voice Assistant can now do this for you (full disclaimer: I work here). Once you start the app and connnect it to your Spotify account - you can play a song, artist, album or genre and also control your music simply using your voice.

Marked as solution

I have an iPhone 7 plus and I tell Siri NEXT TRACK and it plays the next song. I tell her PAUSE and it pauses when you want it to play again you say RESUME. They all work with my iPhone. But it has to be those exact words or she tries to use Music app.

41 Replies
Marked as solution

Unfortunately, Apple has not opened up Siri to third party apps. That means you cannot use voice commands with Spotify using Siri.

A voice command such as "play Spotify" will only open up the Spotify app.

A voice command such as "pause Spotify" will result in a "ok, paused" reply, but won't actually do anything.

Until Apple opens up Siri for third party developers to use with their apps, you won't be able to control Spotify using Siri.

Apple just recently opened up Touch ID to developers, so maybe in the future they will be less restrictive with Siri and open it up.

For more information, feel free to check out this page. 🙂

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I came here searching for the available Siri commands for Spotify.  No luck.  But, on a whim, while in Spotify, I told Siri "next track" and she did indeed make Spotify skip to the next track... so I guess that's a start!

Really? When I said next title Siri actually told me that that's not possible with spotify.

I said next track and siri replied "i didn't find any truck manufacturers"

progress indeed 🙂

You can use voice commands for google maps on an iPhone. Why not spotify

iOS 10 opens up SiriKit, is there perhaps a beta version of Spotify app that supports this now?

If you have Spotify open on the background, a voice command of "Skip next track" would skip the next track - but it wouldn't play it.

Siri is now available to Whatsapp - this is a good starter to ending the bitter unfriendliness between siri and third party apps. 🙂

SiriKit will only allow for Siri integration in 6 types of apps.

Ride booking, messaging, photo search, payments, VolP calling, and workouts.

(Source)

So, for now, it looks like Apple won't be allowing us to control the superior music apple.

I dont know why we still cant 😞

Spotify, sue Apple for this!

Marked as solution

Suppose Apple believes music taste should be kept more private than your position. Just imagine what 3rd party developer could do if they knew what type of music you listen to! 😱
Marked as solution

Melody Voice Assistant can now do this for you (full disclaimer: I work here). Once you start the app and connnect it to your Spotify account - you can play a song, artist, album or genre and also control your music simply using your voice.

Marked as solution

I have an iPhone 7 plus and I tell Siri NEXT TRACK and it plays the next song. I tell her PAUSE and it pauses when you want it to play again you say RESUME. They all work with my iPhone. But it has to be those exact words or she tries to use Music app.

Yup, this works with me too!

Anyone know of a way to go back a track?

That's because this form is old. Since, Apple has opened Siri up to third-party developers. And they say it will work, but it doesn't work for me.

saying LAST TRACK works

So what if they know? They know just about everything else anyways...

I was happy to see this so I downloaded the App. It works, sort of and sometimes, but not consistently. The word recognition is ok - it gets what I'm saying - but often cannot find the Spotify playlist I'm asking for or the album I'm asking for and plays some other track from some other album I've never heard of. The app needs some work before I would recommend it.

this was supposed to be a reply to the comment about Melody Voice Assistant...

Suggested posts