Premium

Country

United States

Device

(iPhone 13)

Operating System

(iOS 16.3.1)

My Question or Issue

I’ve been having this issue since the recent update replacing the hearts with the plus. When clicking the three dots next to a song from my local files, usually there are multiple options including to add it to any playlist. However, now the only option is to add the song to the queue. However, all of my local files already on a playlist are still there and can still be removed from the playlist. I am only having this issue with local files, and not any of my other songs.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

This issue has been fixed in mobile app version 8.8.20

After you update to this version (or newer), you should then be able to add Local Files to playlists again. If you still can't add Local Files to playlists in this version, please let us know in the comments.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

44 Replies

I can upload songs from my iTunes into local files in my library. Once there I only have the option to add them to queue. I used to be able to add them to playlists but I no longer have the option to do this.

Hey fam, If you're unable to add local files in your Spotify library to playlists, there could be a few reasons why. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Check the file format: Spotify supports a limited range of file formats for local files, so make sure that the files you're trying to add are in a compatible format. The supported formats are MP3, MP4, M4A, M4B, M4P, M4R, MOV, and ALAC.

2. Check the file location: Make sure the local files are saved in a location that Spotify can access. By default, Spotify only looks for local files in the "Downloads" and "Music" folders on your computer. You can add additional folders by going to Settings > Local Files > Add a Source.

3. Check the playlists: Make sure that the playlist you're trying to add the local files to is not set to "Offline" mode. Offline playlists only show local files that have been downloaded to your device, so you won't be able to add new files to them. To switch an offline playlist to online mode, simply toggle the "Download" switch off.

4. Check your Spotify app version: Some older versions of Spotify may not have the option to add local files to playlists. Make sure that you're using the latest version of the Spotify app.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you can do the o’l logging out and back into your Spotify account trick, or uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

Let me know if one of these did the trick,

-Prague the Dog

PragueSpotify Star

Plan

Premium - Family subscription 

Country

France 

Device

iPhone 13 Pro (and other iPhones)

My Question or Issue

Hi Spotify,

I’m a French guy, who loves listen music all long  day. My brother (BaudrixProd) make beats and musics, so when he hit a banger I want to listen it on my phone.

But, actually, local files on Spotify doesn’t work and we can’t add songs, however, I can’t find anything about files of local file by Spotify on my phone files.

It’s hard to explain how much pain I have trough this issue.

I want you to help me, to find how can I add songs on Spotify local files, how we can make it work ?

by the way, it’s an option that’s I paid for on family subscription, so I’m really disappointed.

thanks for the answer,

Anthonin

On IOS

My Question or Issue

So the 'Local Files' folder shows up on both Iphone and my Desktop, the songs play perfectly. HOWEVER, 1.) On my iphone I am unable to 'add songs to playlist' like I can with any regular music, the only option I have when clicking the three dots is to add the song to queue. 2.) Thinking this would be an easy, albeit annoying, workaround I added them from my desktop to the playlists I want them on, yet they simply don't appear.

Spotify recognizes that the songs are in the playlists when I go back and try to add them again it tells me "these songs are already in your playlist" etc. but when I scroll through the said playlist still the songs are nowhere to be found.

Hey folks!

Thank you for reporting this.
We've notified the right teams and this is being looked into.
Rest assured we're going to let you know as soon as there are any updates to share 🙂
Have a good one!

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Premium

Country

France

Device

Iphone 11

Operating System

IOS 16

My Question or Issue

Hello,

Since the update of yesterday (08/03/2023) Update thatreplaces the heart by a plus i can had a local file in a playlist (off title likes)

I haven’t been able to add local files to my playlists since the last update that replaces the heart button

I have the same problem.

I’m having the same issue

2ED3952A-53A0-4E7D-8825-75700A1B36B1.png

This is happening to me too and all of my local files are properly tagged

Plan

Premium

Country

Latvia

Device

Iphone X

Operating system

iOS 16.3

My Question or Issue

I got the latest spotify update. I’m a big local files user. I was shocked when I could no longer add any local songs to playlists through my phone, and was restricted to only pc. Local files option is already left to exist by itself and now this! Why was this fuction removed and will it be brought back?

E2EDDA90-D235-4C43-BD2B-3E894B5E9F6A.jpeg

Hey!

Right now the ability to add Local Files to playlists using the "Add to playlist" menu in the mobile app is currently not possible. As a workaround you can still add Local Files to playlists in the desktop app.

In my walkthrough I show you how to use the new Plus button and you can find more answers to the most frequently asked questions:

The ♡ Heart button is being replaced with a (+) Plus button

MattSudaSpotify Star

Yep, having the same issue too 😕

I can use my laptop to copy-paste local files already added to playlists, but cant add new ones from my phone. 

B480BA7D-9AAE-4C76-815C-422D1F46401B.png

The local files are synced and I can play them on mobile but when I try to add them to other playlists, the only options are "Add to queue" or "Remove from this playlist"

Hey folks,

Jumping in here to share the good news. 

Our teams are still looking into this and working on a fix. The issue should be fixed in the next version of the app. 

It's indeed a great call to wait for the update and install it as soon as it's available 🙂 

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator

I'm having the same issue. I can't tell if it was intentional or not with the new update, but the new "plus" button replacing the "like" button seems to have interfered with adding local files to playlists. I can do it from my desktop just fine, but if I click on the "plus" button from my phone it just removes the song from my liked songs instead of pulling up my playlists, and the option to "add to playlist" from the three dots is not present. It really just seems like an oversight when adding the "plus" button which I hope will be fixed.

Have this issue too, both on iPhone and on my desktop PC (Windows 10)

Hey @T11,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you please try a clean reinstall on both devices and check again? If the issue persists, please share your OS versions and Spotify versions.

Keep us posted.

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Hey everyone,

This issue has been fixed in mobile app version 8.8.20

After you update to this version (or newer), you should then be able to add Local Files to playlists again. If you still can't add Local Files to playlists in this version, please let us know in the comments.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts