Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can play from my list but not browse, says there is no internet connection, which we know is false

Solved!

Can play from my list but not browse, says there is no internet connection, which we know is false

This is the same issue for both of our IOS devices. We can stream, play online, shop and just about everything but get Spotify to function fully. We've re-down loaded ap's for both devices, reset our connections and both devices. With no luck what so ever resolving the issue.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Figured out what's going on...

Currently I've the Router set to limit Wi-Fi access to previously known Wi-Fi devices. From what I understand, it performs a MAC address cross-check against each joining device. All unknown devices that attempt to join will fail despite having the correct Wi-Fi password.

Note: This is a security feature avalible with Fritz-Box to prevent unanutherized individuals from sniffing the Wi-Fi and connecting for free. Works just fine with everything but Spotify thus far.

Beyond all of that, It seams that Spotifiy maybe opening up a 2nd port or connection throught the same device. This is despite the fact the device has already connected to the Wi-Fi network. Why this is being done is unknown but one could surmise that allot of this back-door traffic maybe unauthorized tracking data.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @Resin! Welcome to the Spotify Community!

That's not cool! Are you still having issues? Could you send over a screenshot of what you're seeing? What iOS version are you guys rocking? Let me know! 🙂

Have a great day!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm sure It's not an iOS issue as the Application was working fine about
two weeks ago.
What's happened recently is that I've updated our local wifi password.
(Which is something I do every few months)
After which most of the Spotify features such as Search, Radio and Browse
not longer function.
When we try, after a short delay, we get the message "An error has
occurred, Try again"...
Strangely, the Playlists in "Your Music" function just fine.

Reinstalling the Application didn't help nor is there anything otherwise
different about our iOS devices. (Yes, iPad and two Cell-phones)
Only commonality here is the WIFI but far as I can tell everything works.
We can game, stream, watch videos, Skype and Email without issue.

Note: using Fritz Box 4790 router, all iOS devices are up-2-date.

Hey @Resin

Alright, no worries. Just to check, could you try Spotify on a different network connection? Let me know how it goes! 🙂

Have a great day!

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Ahh, using a different network isnt possible. However to answer your infered question, Yes this appears to be network related as none of the Devices in the house can search via the Spotify application. (Just play from the current lists)

Marked as solution

Figured out what's going on...

Currently I've the Router set to limit Wi-Fi access to previously known Wi-Fi devices. From what I understand, it performs a MAC address cross-check against each joining device. All unknown devices that attempt to join will fail despite having the correct Wi-Fi password.

Note: This is a security feature avalible with Fritz-Box to prevent unanutherized individuals from sniffing the Wi-Fi and connecting for free. Works just fine with everything but Spotify thus far.

Beyond all of that, It seams that Spotifiy maybe opening up a 2nd port or connection throught the same device. This is despite the fact the device has already connected to the Wi-Fi network. Why this is being done is unknown but one could surmise that allot of this back-door traffic maybe unauthorized tracking data.

Suggested posts