Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't add Star to the songs after update

Solved!

Can't add Star to the songs after update

After this update I now can't add a star to save songs to my starred playlist. Had no issues before. Can anyone help?

Before, starred songs were highlighted with the star in green. Now I can see the star option, but it won't select, stays grey if I touch it and songs don't save to the starred playlist. Plus the songs in my starred playlist don;t have the star highlighted/selected any more, even though they are showing there. So frustrating, as the star option is my main reason for paying for spotify!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've resolved it myself by going from offline to online - it works now.

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Hey there!

What version of Spotify are you using? Recently (April 2, 2014), an update just got released that replaced the star function with the save to collection button. 

More info on the new look here.

Edit: Apparently, the starred function wasn't replaced. Sorry.

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

My spotify updated yesterday, so it's the latest version. I don't seem to have a 'save to collection' button, just a star button which doesn't work any more!

Marked as solution

I've resolved it myself by going from offline to online - it works now.

No your absolutely wrong hey if you want help contact Jamie

It's true, the "Star" function does not work correctly anymore.

Only if you are online. 😞

How do I go "online"? I'm listening on my iPhone 5S over a wifi connection, but I can't star any songs.

How do I go "online"? I'm listening on my iPhone 5S over a wifi connection; I don't imagine I'm "offline," but I can't star any songs.

(Sorry for the double post.)

You should be able to add songs to your starred playlist from the context menu - add to playlist  starred.

That extra click is causing confusion.  We used to simply click context menu and 'star song', now we need to save to playlist and then choose the star playlist.  It kind of renders the star feature irrelevant.  The star was just an easy way to group your favourite songs together, if now it became a playlist, then I might as well create one myself.

Even better than hiding it inside the add to playlist option would be putting a little star button on the song list, or at least have one on the album cover view mode.  

@aeldron wrote:

That extra click is causing confusion.  We used to simply click context menu and 'star song', now we need to save to playlist and then choose the star playlist.  It kind of renders the star feature irrelevant.  The star was just an easy way to group your favourite songs together, if now it became a playlist, then I might as well create one myself.

Even better than hiding it inside the add to playlist option would be putting a little star button on the song list, or at least have one on the album cover view mode.  

It absolutely renders the star feature irrelevant.

The star function was one of the main draws of the iphone app for me. It allowed a quick 'save' of a track without worrying about what playlist to sort it into. This was expecially useful with the radio function.

Why was this function considered dispensable?? It would really be better if you just had a small radio button that you could tap to add to 'starred'

It looks like they've replaced the 'Star Song' option with 'Save to Your Music' option.  Is it just me who's confused as well with this new 'Your Music' feature?  I can't find anywhere to access the songs I've been saving.  What does that do?

Yeah it looks like thats what they did... but unfortunately it doesn't even add it to the "starred" playlist. This is my only big problem with the new update. They need to bring this feature back. One button click, boom.. on a starred playlist.

I am completely confused by the new update.

I used to star songs/album and then shuffle play as a work around as the app didn't allow me to shuffle all playlists.

Now it seems I am unable to Star any new songs which renders the above defunct.

If I save a song it says added to my music, where is this on the app? Can't find it anywhere. How do I access my music?!

So far a poorly thought out update IMO.

I am really dissapointed about the star function being removed. I am considering cancelling my premium -subscriptioni if it's not coming back.

This is the message I have receieved from Spotify regarding starred songs.

I am still unhappy about losing the starred function.

"All is not lost! The starred feature is still available, but you just need to use it a little differently.
You can add the song to your collection, by pressing the small '+' sign where the Starred button used to be. This will store the track and its information into your collection, so that you can manage your music in a more organised manner!
If you would like to star a track, then you can add the track to your starred playlist by right clicking, Add To.. and then selecting 'Starred'.
This is essentially the same feature we previously offered, but you just have to go about it in a slightly different manner.
I hope this helps, if you have any further questions then please get back to us!"

Okay now it makes sense!  The Starred playlist essentialing becomes your collection.  Instead of 'starring', we now 'Save' and the songs end up in the tab Songs instead of Starred.  I actually like the way they group it into songs, and albums and artists, it's better organized than the Star feature used to be.

I've just dragged all my songs from 'Starred' to 'Songs' and will start using that instead.  I just wished there was a way to delete the Star playlist, it's just redundant now.

Glad you're happy!

I still don't like the lack of clarity - with the stars I could easily see which songs I had saved and which I didn't.

I take back what I've just said.

You can't make the entire Songs playlist available offline.  What's the point then?

It would make a lot more sense if they simply used the Songs, Albums, Artists tab to organize all the music on your playlists.

This is a massive screw up!  We can no longer quickly Star a favourite song when using the mobile app, and the 'Save' puts everything in a playlist that you cannot offline!  Why would I ever want to save anything to my collection at all?

Suggested posts