Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't sync local files to iPhone

Solved!

Can't sync local files to iPhone

I've tried looking for answers for a couple of hours on this forum and all over online, but I can't find any solutions and I'm getting frustrated.

Basically, it seems to be a pretty common issue but I can't find a fix.  When I make a playlist on my desktop with songs from Spotify mixed with local files, the Spotify songs will appear on my phone but the local files appear greyed-out and unplayable on my mobile.

The root issue seems to be that desktop client isn't recognizing my mobile under 'Devices' even when they're both logged into the same account.  I have even tried changing network settings to no avail.  If I was able to have the client recognize my iPhone and then sync, I believe the local files would show up the phone.

If anyone has any ideas that have worked for them, please share.  I am currently under my free-trial period and will cancel before the 30 days unless I can get a fix for this.

70 Replies

I actually solved this in the same way several months ago and forgot to post it. Thanks guys!

turn off your firewall first then there u go you'll get your local files synced on the selected gagdet u have 

Hi, I am trying to sync local files to my iPhone 5s from my Macbook. I've tried most of the suggestions in this thread and they are not working. My firewall is off, my computer and phone are on the same wifi, and I have tried putting the local files on my macbook into a playlist and toggling the offline button (on both my laptop and my iphone) and the files still aren't showing up on my phone. 

What gives? 

EDIT: I am at a university using their public wifi, so I am thinking that this might affect how the songs are transmitted? Maybe? 

I tried everything on here but nothing worked until I did one thing different and it started to work no problem. Instead of launching Spotify through the regular spotify.exe I launched it with the spotifylauncher.exe. I don't know why but for some reason this worked for me.

Had this problem too, trying to sync from mac to iphone 4s. Local songs wouldn't sync, stayed gray. Tried everything, but nothing worked. Untill I tried again with my phone connected through the usb portal. It then worked and synced all my local files. Bizar.

Altering the advanced firewall settings helped a lot, it finally worked!

love you.. so much. 

Literally all you have to do is go to the playlist with the grayed out songs, make the playlist 'Available Offline' and it will magically appear and be available.

i was having the issue. Local music was showing on my desktop but not on my iphone. i added music from my local music to an existing playlist and then music showed up on my iphone and i was able to download it on my iphone as well.

I had the exact same problem too. 

this what i did: 

1. close the app on my mobile device

2. close the app on my computer ( mac )

3. reopen spotify app on both devices

It worked for me 🙂

you sir/madam is the MVP of the year. I followed your advice and it worked. Thanks a lot!! 

Suggested posts