Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't use Navigation with Offline Mode

Solved!

Can't use Navigation with Offline Mode

Premium user

ios12.1

iphone XS Max

I can't seem to link Spotify to Google Maps or Waze when Spotify is in offline mode.

I'm trying to play from my downloaded list only, which works fine by itself when offline, but when using car navigation it won't show the controls at the bottom and gives me an error that it doesn't have a connection. 

I can run spotify in the background on its own, but obviously it's not very safe to be swapping apps while driving so it's purely something between the two apps.

I noticed in waze that it mentions that it shares route data with spotify, and track data with waze.

Is this purely some sort of data mining going on, without my intent, and that's why I get an error? Why should Spotify need to know my route info, and why should Waze or Google Maps need to know what songs I listen to?

Is there a way around this, or should I just cancel my subscription, because I have no desire to pay spotify and apple to use my data to snoop on me when I'm already paying Apple for waze, and Spotify for the premium service. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately, there is not a way around this, likely having to do with the protocols that Waze uses to interface with Spotify. It can be seen here that, per a requirement of Waze, spotify must be online. You can also find the privacy policy for third party data sharing here, where it lists the data that spotify could possibly be recieving from the Waze app. This available data (listed ambiguously for any third party app, not just spotify) is limited to that which would allow a third party app to display turn by turn directions on its interface. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

Unfortunately, there is not a way around this, likely having to do with the protocols that Waze uses to interface with Spotify. It can be seen here that, per a requirement of Waze, spotify must be online. You can also find the privacy policy for third party data sharing here, where it lists the data that spotify could possibly be recieving from the Waze app. This available data (listed ambiguously for any third party app, not just spotify) is limited to that which would allow a third party app to display turn by turn directions on its interface. 

Suggested posts